Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2013, 18:48   #511
Team-BHP Support

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I am one of the "soon to be dad" and i am on a look out for a car seat, but i have a few questions, which i am hoping would be answered well here by the experienced junta.

1. What is the "safe" age for a infant to be put in a child seat?
2. How easy / difficult it is to move the car seat between cars? We have a Fiat Punto & Hyundai i20 and we dont have a "my car" concept at home, so while going on highway we take which ever is available depending on dad's requirements.
3. I understand that over seas new borns right from the day they are discharged from hospital are meant to be on child seats, are they any different that the ones pictured above by @motomaverick & @me_sid.
Congratulations!!!

The Fisher-price one pictured by Motomaverick is an infant car seat which can be used from birth until the baby gets to around 12-13kgs. You’ll have to move to bigger one later (like the one in me_sid’s post). I believe moving the seats across a Punto and i20 may should not be a problem. Make sure to get a good brand. Normally shops like Mothercare runs good discounts on car seats and prams (e.g. here). Maybe you can wait until the baby is out to choose the colour/design of the car seat (depending on girl or boy)
Old 7th December 2013, 19:51   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. What is the "safe" age for a infant to be put in a child seat?
There is no safe age for a baby to be in a car unsecured. Ever!

Quote:
3. I understand that over seas new borns right from the day they are discharged from hospital are meant to be on child seats, are they any different that the ones pictured above
I'm sure seats for babes will be featured somewhere in the thread. They will be rear-facing, for starters. I don't know how small a babe Motomaverick's seat could be used for.
Old 15th January 2014, 10:47   #513
BHPian

Really a good time to pick up car seat for your loved one. Mouthwatering discounts from shoppersstop. Please see below. Few options online but in store collection is nice.

I picked up second one for my son last weekend to be used in my wife's car at 30% off mrp.

http://www.shoppersstop.com/kids/mot...ction/asc.html
amit1234singla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2014, 14:33   #514
Senior - BHPian

My son is now outgrowing the child seat that we got for him. He is around 18KGs which is the maximum allowed for that seat, though I assume there will be some tolerance.

Anyway, now I am looking out for a booster seat before the next long trip on the highway.

Saw one on flipkart, but will look out for more options offline as well.
http://www.flipkart.com/sunbaby-boos...mdzfygdytbzph9

Most places, where I have checked, there are not many options available for booster seats. They have just one piece left. In comparison, there are at least 5 different models for the normal child seats.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:01   #515
BHPian

I am on the look out for car seats. Quiet confused between infant and convertible car seats for 6 month old.
Infant car seat:
- snugly fit the child
- useful only till 15-18 months of age.
- only 3 point harness

Convertible car seat:
- lasts till 3 years of age.
- 5 point harness

Does anyone use convertible car seats? In terms of safety is it a compromise compared to infant car seat for 6 month old?

Last edited by rajakumar : 19th March 2014 at 12:04. Reason: rearranged the text
Old 19th March 2014, 12:37   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
I am on the look out for car seats. Quiet confused between infant and convertible car seats for 6 month old.
Infant car seat:
- snugly fit the child
- useful only till 15-18 months of age.
- only 3 point harness

Convertible car seat:
- lasts till 3 years of age.
- 5 point harness

Does anyone use convertible car seats? In terms of safety is it a compromise compared to infant car seat for 6 month old?
Infant car seats tend to hold the baby snugly and look more comfortable. They also tend to have a higher degree of recline and the baby doesn't have to sit as vertically as it would in a convertible seat.

Most higher end models and travel systems come with removable baskets. They are really great to carry your baby around while she is sleeping without having to carry her yourself and end up waking her up.

However, your baby is going to outgrow the infant car seat very quickly. So, if you are going to travel a lot with your baby and don't mind spending a bit, you should get a infant seat.

But, IMHO, a convertible car seat is more practical. The one I have, does offer decent support for the infant, in the form of removable inserts and adjustable belts. It also reclines a bit when placed in the rear facing configuration. As far as safety goes, the infant seat may offer better protection. But that does not mean that a convertible seat does not do a good job.

My take, get a convertible car seat as long as it is from a reputed brand.
torque!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 14:04   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque!! View Post
My take, get a convertible car seat as long as it is from a reputed brand.
Thanks torque! I am considering little wanderer convertible seat from mom and me store.

Any idea on how does little wandered fares? Is it a reputed brand?
Old 19th March 2014, 14:41   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks torque! I am considering little wanderer convertible seat from mom and me store.

I do not have first hand information about the little wanderer brand. But the car seat looks pretty similar to the Graco that I have and also has all the features you would want in a convertible car seat.
Old 19th March 2014, 15:58   #519
BHPian

Quote:

We have Li'l Wanderes for our son. Bought it when he was 9 months old.nd From our experience, our son enjoys it a lot. It has three positions, (upright, middle and reclining). When he is awake, he enjoys the outside view and also sleeps quiet comfortably in it. The harness and the belt keeps him intact. Can vouch for it. We bought it when there was sale running around couple of months back.
Old 20th March 2014, 08:36   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
We have Li'l Wanderes for our son. Bought it when he was 9 months old.nd From our experience, our son enjoys it a lot. It has three positions, (upright, middle and reclining). When he is awake, he enjoys the outside view and also sleeps quiet comfortably in it. The harness and the belt keeps him intact. Can vouch for it. We bought it when there was sale running around couple of months back.
I had look at the Lil' Wanderers convertible car seat yesterday in the shop. I had a doubt whether 6 month old baby can sleep in the reclining position. I felt that the reclining angle was small compared to infant car seat.

Moreover this car seat seems to need only 3 point seat belt. Hence fitting the car seat in the middle of your back seat using lap seat beat is out of question.

Would you mind sharing where and how much you got it for?
Old 20th March 2014, 17:26   #521
BHPian

Quote:
I had look at the Lil' Wanderers convertible car seat yesterday in the shop. I had a doubt whether 6 month old baby can sleep in the reclining position. I felt that the reclining angle was small compared to infant car seat.

Moreover this car seat seems to need only 3 point seat belt. Hence fitting the car seat in the middle of your back seat using lap seat beat is out of question.

Would you mind sharing where and how much you got it for?
Agree with your point. Till my son was 8 months old, we used a normal carry cot and used to keep him in an perpendicular position to the car seat in the rear row.
We didnt buy the infant car seat, since our travel was very limited and also my spouse used to hold him in her lap sitting in the rear seat only for short journeys.
I bought the Li'l wanderers from Mom & Me in Phoenix Market City for around 6.7K. As I mentioned earlier, we bought when the sale was on.

Just a suggestion, if you are looking at a car seat for your six months kid, then, the question of usage of an infant car seat will be only for another 2 to 3 months max. Why dont you look at olx or quickr just to push of the next 3 months and then buy a convertible when the kid is ready for it.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:41   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

These ones are ideal. our son came home in a similar model but from evenflo - the titan elite. Why would you not buy the very best you can? It had a 5 year warranty AFAIK. I trust big US/EU brands to have tested their products.
Old 20th March 2014, 20:43   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Just a suggestion, if you are looking at a car seat for your six months kid, then, the question of usage of an infant car seat will be only for another 2 to 3 months max. Why dont you look at olx or quickr just to push of the next 3 months and then buy a convertible when the kid is ready for it.
Good point. I did not look at olx or quickr as one does not know how it is used. The structural integrity of the seat can be compromised as we are buying second hand. However my problem does not stop there. I have twins so I will need two infant ones which I have to discard and get another two in short time.

Even with convertible seats, I do not know how I can fit two of them in the rear seat and have enough space for the mother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
These ones are ideal. our son came home in a similar model but from evenflo - the titan elite. Why would you not buy the very best you can? It had a 5 year warranty AFAIK. I trust big US/EU brands to have tested their products.
Evenflo had 1 yr warranty and Lil Wanderer had 6 month warranty. After my little research figured out that Lil Wanderer is made in France and adheres to EU standards.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st April 2014 at 14:08. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 21st March 2014, 00:52   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Evenflo had 1 yr warranty and Lil Wanderer had 6 month warranty. After my little research figured out that Lil Wanderer is made in France and adheres to EU standards.
Hmm, I somehow remember Evenflo warranty to be valid till 2015 but if Lil wanderer is made to EU standards, then go for it by all means
Old 21st March 2014, 15:41   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

No idea about the brand, but also look at Shoppers Stop.
The link you posted has got rates which are probably on higher side (e.g. booster seat for Rs. 5000 is too much).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks