Team-BHP > Road Safety
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 22:29   #796
BHPian

Re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

So has anyone successfully fixed Chicco Elatta in hatchbacks in rear facing without seat belt extenders?

Does Polo has ISOFIX?

As per the review here, Chicco Elatta seems like a good one. Any other good brands to suggest which is cheaper and offers nearly same quality?
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:51   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Does Polo has ISOFIX?
I own a Jetta which has ISOfix mounts so was hoping Polos have it too but could not find any documentation in their brochure saying it has ISOfix mounts. I am afraid you might have to drop in to the showroom to confirm.

Quote:
As per the review here, Chicco Elatta seems like a good one. Any other good brands to suggest which is cheaper and offers nearly same quality?
I use Britax Eclipse for my 2 and a half year old, have been using it for her since she was 1, its a rock solid car seat, which I have used earlier for my elder daughter in the UK as well.

Shoppers Stop stock them, and seem to have healthy discounts on them from time to time, I got mine at a 50% discount for 10k.

HTH
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 12:58   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, how old is your child? If he/she is more than a year old, please do have a look at the Chicco Gro-Up 123 model too.

From this post at least it seems that the Polo doesn't have ISOFIX:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3402474

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd May 2016 at 13:00.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 14:32   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
I use Britax Eclipse for my 2 and a half year old, have been using it for her since she was 1, its a rock solid car seat, which I have used earlier for my elder daughter in the UK as well.

Shoppers Stop stock them, and seem to have healthy discounts on them from time to time, I got mine at a 50% discount for 10k.
HTH
Thank you for the information. I will check for Britax in Shopper's stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi, how old is your child? If he/she is more than a year old, please do have a look at the Chicco Gro-Up 123 model too.

From this post at least it seems that the Polo doesn't have ISOFIX:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3402474

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks, so now its confirmed that Polo doesn't have ISOFIX. My kid is 5.5 months only, so I guess Chicco Gro-up is not suitable for her.
Old 3rd May 2016, 10:20   #800
BHPian

I bought the Gro-up 123 over the Elatta and now regretting that I did not pay heed to the online reviews. The reclining angle of the Gro-up is not much. Because of this, whenever my daughter dozes off, her head keeps falling over because of the lack of angle. She usually sleeps as soon as she gets in the car and this is incredibly frustrating for us.
Avinash_R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:59   #801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I own a Jetta which has ISOfix mounts so was hoping Polos have it too ...
I think that the Jetta is imported, so you have the full European spec. The Polo is India-built, with India-build cost cutting.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 20:28   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
I am using this model for past 2 months for my 1 year old kid in rear facing mode. You should use it in rear facing atleast till 1.5 years age for safety reasons. It's a very nice and comfortable baby seat with 3 recline positions. Following are the -ves which may or may not affect you

1. Even in the farthest recline position the baby seat looks almost upright in my car rear as the rear seat is slanting upwards. so when my son sleeps his head tilts towards the front sometimes.

2. For taller kids the feet may be hitting the rear seat back and may require legs to be bent and may not be stretched. This might not be comfortable for long runs.

Both these -ves will dissappear once we start using the seat in front facing position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
I bought the Gro-up 123 over the Elatta and now regretting that I did not pay heed to the online reviews. The reclining angle of the Gro-up is not much. Because of this, whenever my daughter dozes off, her head keeps falling over because of the lack of angle. She usually sleeps as soon as she gets in the car and this is incredibly frustrating for us.
Ssateesh is saying about chicco eleta and Avinash speaks about Gro-up. It seems both the seats are suffering from a low reclining angle leading to more of an upright position. Is Britax having a better recline over chicco? low recline is definitively a wrong design. Is anyone else also facing the same problem? is it dependent upon the car seat also?
Old 3rd May 2016, 22:29   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Ssateesh is saying about chicco eleta and Avinash speaks about Gro-up. It seems both the seats are suffering from a low reclining angle leading to more of an upright position. Is Britax having a better recline over chicco? low recline is definitively a wrong design. Is anyone else also facing the same problem? is it dependent upon the car seat also?
HI, as I mentioned above low recline problem is only in reverse facing mode where the seat is slanting compensating the recline of the car seat. In forward facing it is just the opposite. Even in no recline position the back is at a comfortable angle due to seat slope. My son sleeps comfortably with zero recline in forward facing mode
ssateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 15:29   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that the Jetta is imported, so you have the full European spec. The Polo is India-built, with India-build cost cutting.
Ah I see, I knew that the Jettas in India are exactly the same as being sold in Europe, this was one of the biggest reasons why I went for the Jetta. Did not know Polos were being manufactured in India, thanks for letting me know. Is the same the case with the Vento?

Any other cars which get euro-spec versions in India, fiat punto/linea maybe?

Quote:
Is Britax having a better recline over chicco? low recline is definitively a wrong design. Is anyone else also facing the same problem? is it dependent upon the car seat also?
I am not sure how the recline compares with the Chicco, but my 2 year old's head hangs forward if I do not put the recline on. Once reclined to the maximum, she sleeps comfortably with her head resting on her chest.

I dug up the instruction manual for the Britax Eclipse and found the recommended weight is 9-18 Kgs, let me know if you need something specific from the manual.
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 22:29   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Check for the "Chicco NextFit Convertible" which is definitely more expensive than Eletta, but has great reviews. I am planning to buy one next month.

Two days back, it was available for Rs 22,000(Coupon code : May7Brand) in FirstCry.com.
shetty_rohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 22:36   #806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ah I see, I knew that the Jettas in India are exactly the same as being sold in Europe, this was one of the biggest reasons why I went for the Jetta. Did not know Polos were being manufactured in India, thanks for letting me know. Is the same the case with the Vento?
I don't know for sure, but I think so. They are pretty close siblings.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:04   #807
BHPian

I am looking at an Automatic in the <15L Range and just don't see any option other than the Ecosport which has the ISOFIX or Child Seat Anchors on the seats !!

My questions are:
1. Am I missing any car/model with ISOFIX, in the above budget?
2. how to affix child seats in a non-ISOFIX seat ?
3. If I use Seat Belts for the child seats- is it safe?
Old 6th May 2016, 10:43   #808
BHPian

^^ OK.. the City & Vento AT have it too. Any other ?
Old 6th May 2016, 12:16   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
I am looking at an Automatic in the <15L Range and just don't see any option other than the Ecosport which has the ISOFIX or Child Seat Anchors on the seats !!

My questions are:
1. Am I missing any car/model with ISOFIX, in the above budget?
2. how to affix child seats in a non-ISOFIX seat ?
3. If I use Seat Belts for the child seats- is it safe?
1. The only one I can see close to this budget is the Hyundai Creta automatic, from the official review (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...-review.html):

"• Oddly, the automatic variant gets a 60:40 splitting rear seat & ISOFIX child seat mounts, but the top-end SX(O) MT doesn't. The SX(O) owner buys a higher variant with less kit?"

If automatic is not a stringent requirement, you could look at the Jetta TSI trendline, which would be cheaper than the Creta probably, and will get you world class safety and an awesome car, my 2 cents.

2. I have a non-isofix car seat (Britax Eclipse) for my younger one and an isofix (Maxi-cosi Rodifix) one for my elder daughter, which I ordered from Amazon UK. So for seats not supporting isofix, 3-point seat belts help keep the seat in place. The baby is also restrained in the seat with the help of a separate 5-point harness. How sturdy these seats are, depends on the quality and safety rating of the car seat. Some of them also come with a top tether to avoid the seat rolling over to the front in case of an accident, I could not find this attachment for my younger one's seat.

3. Obviously isofix car seats are really sturdy and confidence inspiring, but non-isofix car seats are safe too, if used correctly. I think you will find that isofix car seats are not available for all age-groups, I found more booster seats support isofix, rather than those for children 1-3 years of age. Also I am not quite sure rear facing seats for babies support isofix, but I might be wrong there.

Good luck with your search, it is heartening to see so many people getting serious about their kids safety.

HTH
harryputtar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 12:45   #810
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Chicco Eleta for my son from the time he was 3 months old. Started with a rear-facing position and changed to a forward facing position when he got older. Recline angle has never been an issue - it is adjustable, and even in the most upright position he hasn't been uncomfortable. Only grouse is lack of neck support, which means his head can roll about a bit if he's sleeping. It's a tight squeeze in a hatchback, especially in the rear-facing position. In the Figo we could push the front seat only about halfway back to accommodate the child seat.

On another note, my son is now outgrowing the Eleta (he's 4). Need a replacement which he can use for the next 4-5 years. Any suggestions/recommendations?

Last edited by razor4077 : 6th May 2016 at 12:46.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks