Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 16:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"

Thanks for the interior pictures, spotting this car is a daily thing for people like me staying close to Bommasandra for almost 2 years now. They have test drives regularly in the morning, see it while driving to office but the testing has been happening for a very long time. The car has good speed and looks very sporty, but dont know why the launch is delayed. The interiors are really below par for the price tag it may carry after the launch. Thanks again for the interior shots.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:07   #17
BHPian

Hey!! I believe I have seen a similar model on the bangalore elevated tollway. The car seemed to be cruising at the speed limit of 80 kmph (not something you typically see), the fit and finish did not look that good, but assumed it was test mule. Did this also have an awful plastic panel at the back with Reva embossed in it?

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd June 2011 at 15:22. Reason: Please avoid typing like.... this. Instead use proper punctuations. Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 20:01   #18
BHPian

Hi,

Indeed nice stuff. Thank you!

I see a Chevy Beat Grin, a Xylo rear-sides, Nano front (?) and a Reva rear. Looks like this car should be able to take a fair load of four people.

I think I will plan an early morning outing on Hosur road to look at this car.

Warm regards,
NagaSid
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

The steering looks like something has fallen off from it. I mean the finish and the fit.
This being LHD is exports is of priority than India launch. Nice that the combination switch is LHD oriented unlike in the converted RHD cars with LHD switches for India.
Old 2nd June 2011, 22:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
A brilliant scoop. Great work man, you really got a chance to taste a piece of the apple pie. Reva is the only car that has been able to be alive on Electric motors be more breath for Else all rich would be buying Prius flanking their Go Green attitude. I feel Reva needs to be more compelling on the Go Green front rather than "Gadgetaries".

But nonetheless, its a wonderful product and the older model was indeed much more cute!
More than the motor it is the batteries that decide range. Given that EVs' primarily are intended to be used by most, as of today atleast, as daily commuters a 80-100 KM per charge range is fairly usable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Thanks alot GTO,address the market need. At the end of the day, that is business - Know the customer needs and address it.
This was hardly a gamble. That was recognising a reality that will come to pass sooner than later. The only debate that can be had about this is the valuation of the Reva business that M&M used to acquire Reva, which to some might seem rich/generous for a business enterprise that was yet to find it's feet so to speak.
Old 4th June 2011, 01:15   #21
BHPian

I really dont think producing cars like REVA make sense. Is it solving the purpose? How many of those do you see on the road?? Dont know what the target audience is? Maybe environmentalists,social activists or Mr. Jairam Ramesh??

What major impact is it creating? It is a car that looks cheap,fit and finish is nowhere near any of the conventional cars not even the Nano, after sales service coverage is miniscule and its priced 3-4 times the price of the cheapest car available.

Yes it is an electric motor , so it means low running costs. Do i only look at that when i buy a car?I ask all the auto enthusiasts and the members of this forum, will you trade in your polos , swifts, puntos or may be nanos, altos and i10's for the REVA.

But yes, i definitely believe that the technology is great and mahindra should invest in bringing this to its existing line up of cars to give people a choice and then may be the purpose will be served.

But, i know the oil lobby is listening and they will never allow any manufacturer to bring such things to market until they bury themselves in those oil rigs!!
Old 4th June 2011, 08:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the scoop. We have a REVA and this scoop is really special. Most of the parts, especially the bonnet shot is the same as the old REVA. I'll be more interested in a simple version that is cheap. Good that MAHINDRA have bought over the company, they can now make it rise
Old 4th June 2011, 13:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom barabar! View Post
I really dont think producing cars like REVA make sense. Is it solving the purpose? How many of manufacturer to bring such things to market until they bury themselves in those oil rigs!!
WRT to your comment about the usability/desirability of electric vehicles I would request that you read about the Tesla Roadster please. That should tell you a well designed and well manufactured EV is no less desirable than a vehicle using petrol/diesel. Oh by the way before I forget to mention it , one of the very large stockholders of Tesla is Diamler Benz AG. This is a pointer to the direction in which things look most likely to go in the times to come. Please note I have not made a categorical assertion as there are several variables in this equation that have to be conclusively resolved as yet.

WRT to your comment about Reva. Maini is a technocrat entrepreneur without deep pockets. The fact that the man has been able to reach this stage where M&M found it worth their while to acquire his company speaks volumes about the potential merit they see in this acquisition and segment of the industry.
Old 4th June 2011, 15:13   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
WRT to your comment about the usability/desirability of electric vehicles I would request that you read about the Tesla Roadster please. That should tell you a well designed and well manufactured EV is no less desirable than a vehicle using petrol/diesel. Oh by the way before I forget to mention it , one of the very large stockholders of Tesla is Diamler Benz AG. This is a pointer to the direction in which things look most likely to go in the times to come. Please note I have not made a categorical assertion as there are several variables in this equation that have to be conclusively resolved as yet.

WRT to your comment about Reva. Maini is a technocrat entrepreneur without deep pockets. The fact that the man has been able to reach this stage where M&M found it worth their while to acquire his company speaks volumes about the potential merit they see in this acquisition and segment of the industry.

That is exactly the point i am making. A Tesla is desirable because it gives u everything you expect from a sports car. Is REVA desirable? Is this what you expect from a small car ?.I respect Maini and his initiative. I also think that this is the technology of the future.

But, now since Mahindra has this technology and 'deep pockets' why not invest in putting this technology into conventional cars rather than creating a car which is not viable or relevant at all for the market.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:28   #25
BHPian

Quote:

I also think that this is the technology of the future.

But, now since Mahindra has this technology and 'deep pockets' why not invest in putting this technology into conventional cars rather than creating a car which is not viable or relevant at all for the market.
Well you have answered yourself! This is the technology of the future, not because it is not good enough now, reliable electric cars have been around since for a while (refer: GM EV1). Currently the market is not mature enough for a electric cars, in the same breath there is not much will to produce electric cars (refer: who killed the electric car?)

The day price of petrol will reach Rs100 per liter, an electric car will make sense to one and all.

As for your previous question, people may not trade in their Swifts/ Polos etc for a Reva but for a second car it does present a case for itself.
Old 8th June 2011, 12:07   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Is REVA desirable? Is this what you expect from a small car ?.I respect Maini and his initiative. I also think that this is the technology of the future
Depends on your definition of 'desirable'. The need for such a vehicle is quite evidently present. The infrastructure and the incentives, maybe not yet.
Besides, not everyone buys a vehicle as a style statement. For anyone travelling a fair amount of distance to office and wanting to avail the comforts of a four wheeler and at the same time trying to avoid the astronomical fuel expenses, this vehicle would make eminent sense (provided necessary subsidies and infrastructure are in place).
The point I'm trying to make is that the sheer utility will overcome the 'desirable' factor. If petrol jumps to 100Rs a litre, imagine the savings incurred for a daily commute of 30-40 KMs, over a period of 3-4 years.
Old 8th June 2011, 22:31   #27
BHPian

The point I'm trying to make is that the sheer utility will overcome the 'desirable' factor. If petrol jumps to 100Rs a litre, imagine the savings incurred for a daily commute of 30-40 KMs, over a period of 3-4 years.[/quote]

Ok.Point taken. But, dont you think that it will be a better idea to put this technology into a conventional car instead of a Reva. For e.g people would love to buy an electric alto rather than a reva.

Mahindra should try to sell this technology to car manufacturers or may be they should invest in making an electric 'car' from scratch.

Everybody has their own opinion and I respect that. The point i am trying to make here is that the focus and efforts should be towards giving the average consumer a combination of practicality and economy which he/she desperately needs at this point of time. And then it will certainly be a 'SUCCESS'
Old 8th June 2011, 23:22   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I really dont think producing cars like REVA make sense. Is it solving the purpose? How many of those do you see on the road?? Dont know what the target audience is? Maybe environmentalists,social activists or Mr. Jairam Ramesh??

<snip>

But yes, i definitely believe that the technology is great and mahindra should invest in bringing this to its existing line up of cars to give people a choice and then may be the purpose will be served.

But, i know the oil lobby is listening and they will never allow any manufacturer to bring such things to market until they bury themselves in those oil rigs!!
I believe you answered your own question.

Consider Maini's Reva as a startup - they spend a lot of investor's money in research, engineering, innovation, etc, net result is a product that is good but expensive. I say good bcos I am a user of it for past 4 years (read my ownership thread for more details), and now loving it more than ever. Please tell me how Indian govt or the Karnataka govt has incentivized. GoK has been kind enough to give waiver of road-tax for 5 years. GoI has ZERO incentive. Did Maini get a SEZ at discounted prices like Nano did? No. That's the lobby Reva is up against.

Hope Mahindra puts Reva's technology to better use and gives more electric alternatives.

Quote:
I ask all the auto enthusiasts and the members of this forum, will you trade in your polos , swifts, puntos or may be nanos, altos and i10's for the REVA.
Asking auto-enthusiasts is probably a bad idea. Also, it is obvious, Reva can't be your first car - it's a 2 seater and can't take you outside the city.

Let me propose a not too unrealistic scenario - say
govt finds the will to (somehow) remove the unfair diesel subsidies to consumer cars,
petrol price goes up above Rs.100,
the roads and parking are congested twice as they are currently,
Reva price drops to below 3L (currently it is approx 3.5L with 75K discount in Bangalore)

- now, if you are in the market to buy a second car for daily commute or spouse's chores, which one would you buy - polo, swift, punto, nano, alto, i10, reva?
Old 8th June 2011, 23:54   #29
BHPian

Do all small in-expensive cars have to be ugly ? electric, economical, or whatever, i wont like being caught driving around in one.
Old 2nd February 2012, 20:57   #30

SPY SHOT! Reva NXR spotted on Bangalore-Attibele stretch.

Ignition ON!

Hey guys! Spotted the Reva NXG on the Bangalore-Attibele stretch around 6am in the morning on the 29th of January. The car looks better when compared to current generation Reva. The car was cruising about 80kmph . Would love to see one in showroom soon. Dont you think NXG Cabriolet would look good?

SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"-img_4984.jpg

SCOOP : Detailed Reva NXR pictures. UPDATE: Badged as the "E2O"-img_4982.jpg
Smokey Anoop is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks