Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Why wouldn't you consider buying an EV today?
Purchase cost is too Expensive 229 34.08%
Not enough options 142 21.13%
Limited battery range 226 33.63%
Inadequate charging facilities 267 39.73%
Uncertainty of battery life and repair costs after 5-7 years 156 23.21%
All of the above 307 45.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 672. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:31   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post

Yes but:
1) the proportion of total ICE cars to the ones catching fire is skewed towards safe territory
Please read the article below.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...e-fires-2019-5

ICE are no more safer than EVs proportion wise.

ICE has more reasons to fail, more reasons to catch fire. Petrol is more combustible than Li ion.
Don't be fooled by the Tesla fires coming on news, Tesla's are safer than ICE cars proportionally.

Yes, a lot can be improved and same is the case with ICE cars. Don't link battery fires of phones with EVs.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:54   #107
Team-BHP Support

Until I attended the Toyoto Vellfire drive event in February, I was thinking my next car will be an EV. However, after the event I am not so sure. Checkout the Vellfire review to know more.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:55   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Yes, a lot can be improved and same is the case with ICE cars. Don't link battery fires of phones with EVs.
Gentleman, I am withdrawing from this roundabout discussion. I've ridden this exact same merry-go-round before and have furnished all the proof necessary on this thread to make my case that currently all Li ion batteries are the same across the spectrum of devices that use them (including EVs). This is as far as I'll go.

Here's to a green earth in the future, one where we won't have ICEs, coal-powered plants, ATF-burning jet aircraft or crude oil burning ships (you'll be surprised by the types & volumes of greenhouse gases that were detected by a Phlilipino researcher friend of mine in the shipping lanes near his place)....
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 09:59   #109
BHPian

Voted for 'Inadequate charging facilities'. While I am not concerned about highway charging as this EV would only be for city use. Living in a rented accommodation in Mumbai means society is rigid and I can't install a charger at the parking spot.
Old 15th April 2020, 09:36   #110
BANNED

With cheap crude and super efficient ICE auto manufacturing around the world, there is very less motivation for move to electric. The latest engines are even more energy efficient and cleaner and the long range and lower operating cost of fossil fuels completely rule over the logic of changing to electric, moreover they not entirely pollution free, they just transfer and centralize the emissions.
Old 15th April 2020, 11:11   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
With cheap crude and super efficient ICE auto manufacturing around the world, there is very less motivation for move to electric. The latest engines are even more energy efficient and cleaner and the long range and lower operating cost of fossil fuels completely rule over the logic of changing to electric, moreover they not entirely pollution free, they just transfer and centralize the emissions.
Crude prices may have crashed but haven’t reduced at the pump for me and you. They won’t, let’s be clear. Fuel sales is the biggest revenue generator for the government and they aren’t going to let go of their cash cow, especially in the current scenario. Diesel price isn’t going to drop below 60 and petrol below 70. These mental barriers are now well established in consumers.

Globally, most manufacturers have already ceased development of brand new series of petrol and diesel engines. They are only making incremental changes to existing engines to comply with emission and efficiency norms. Even in India, the only genuinely new engines we’ve had is the direct injection turbo petrol and diesel lineup from Mahindra and Ford’s Dragon series. Rest all are either reworked/turboed/size adjusted/rationalized versions of existing motors. Or, they are those engines which have been selling globally for some time but are being brought here only now. Think Hyundai turbo petrols, or Fiat’s 2.0MJD. Suzuki’s 1.5DDiS was anyway the fiasco of the decade.

The biggest USP of electric cars is the refinement. And the instant pickup. They simply provide a much better driving experience. Have a go in the Nexon EV and see for yourself. EVs as of today are absolutely perfect as a second car. They are absolutely perfect for urban commuting. The minimum required charging infrastructure is already here, as any owner will confirm. Given that 70% of new car sales are existing buyers buying a second car, that’s a HUGE market. If we can buy 15000 Seltos and Cretas a month, we can surely do 1000EVs in the 12-18L range. The barrier is only in our minds.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 15th April 2020 at 11:15.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2020, 14:56   #112
BHPian

Hello everyone, I am making a project report for my college. The topic is "Electric Vehicles & it's impact on environment".
I am attaching a link to the questionnaire. https://forms.gle/xfUGMrTQSwSeULxJ7

I am short on time and therefore will stop accepting responses after 6 pm. I know I am posting this a bit too late.
Old 27th April 2020, 00:36   #113
BHPian

May be someone already mentioned it (sorry, didn't read the entire thread), but another important factor that could be added to the poll is the perceived or established safety factor for these battery powered cars - things like harsh Indian summer temperatures, chances of catching fire due to accidents, over-charging etc.
Old 28th June 2020, 11:25   #114

What's stopping you from going electric?

The Indian electric motorcycle/scooter scene is still in the nascent stages.
Lets fast forward a few years down the line when there will be more players in the e-bike market: I am curious to understand everyone's individual perspectives of what is stopping them from going electric.
Sir"CAR" is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 12:10   #115
BHPian

Re: What's stopping you from going electric?

I do not drive 2 wheelers. But I am associated with the EV space in a professional capacity.
I would hesitate jumping into electric at the moment due to the range of products available. Except for Ather which is at the high end of the scale the other models all are fairly meh.
FAME 2 pushed Indian industry towards better products and indigenization. The response of 2W industry was to downgrade products and operate with largely lead acid batteries so that products could sell without subsidy.
You can argue that this is because the market would not take such products. I would argue that no such product was brought in the market and tried out. It is a supply failure which is being blamed on demand.

Yes, maybe the indigenization targets were stiff, but the players could have taken it up as a challenge. Instead they were just defeated at first.

The only hope is Chetak and iQube. I understand that Chetak has been underwhelming - too many niggles / performance issues. I do not have first hand (or direct word of mouth) experience of iQube.

So I would wait and watch - and keep waiting for the right product.
chinkara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 12:34   #116
BHPian

Highly relevant thread!
Waiting to see the responses from fellow BHPians.

As for me, yes I am open to buying an EV unless it's not the only car I have. Other car is a must for long distance travelling once in a month.
Practically speaking, I don't have any expectations of having charging stations. I'll happily charge it at my place and drive around city.
Nexon EV is a game changer, decent range, nice build and packed upto brim with features. With that 7 years warranty on the battery, you can easily on it for atleast a decade.
With some more units out there and manufacturers fixing the issues faced by first adopters, I am pretty much in for a Nexon EV facelift.

Mahindra eXUV300 - whenever it's launched, it'll be a competition to Nexon EV, making both the products a little cheaper. Given the immense electric miles mahindra have scored, their products might be a better package.

I will not at all consider hyundai Kona and MG ZS EV, as they aren't made for mass market and are merely products to establish brand's superior electrified image.

Also, I'm not into any EV manufactured by MS in their initial 3 years, whenever they come.
Old 28th June 2020, 12:36   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Biggest thing immediately is the Price
The government should do more in terms of subsidies or tax/toll exemptions.
Right now the most desirable one is the Nexon EV.
Though double the price of ordinary Nexon, it still looks VFM looking at running costs in the long term.

But as a single car in a household, the next thing is Range anxiety, especially on long trips and emergency long trips. Though it's an easy fix. Just provide charging facilities in fuel pumps or atleast the district level dealerships.

Though the above said are for cars.
For scooters and commuter motorcycles, there isn't any other segment perfectly suited for EVs. Low cost of running, nippy urban performance. Enthusiasts aside, no one is going to miss ICE in the commuter 2 wheeler segment.

Only things standing in the way are the mass adoption mentality of the segment, "if everyone does, we will too". And charging facilities for apartment dwellers.

I am in the dark about pricing and bit ignorant too.
Other than the fly-by-night chinese scooter sellers, most of the electric scooters are priced higher than equivalent scooters I think.

Though Hero electric scooters look well priced, wonder why they are not selling.

So again back to OP's question. "What's stopping you from going electric?"
Old 28th June 2020, 12:49   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Transparency declaration - I am a potential EV customer in the medium term. It is the direction personalized transportation will take - this is my firm belief.

Given the dramatic changes taking place each year in EV capability I plan to wait till 2022 or thereabouts before buying an EV. This buffer period is to see what experience is gained on - (i) EVs coping with our bad roads and giant speed breakers hitting the underside (where the batteries are located) (ii) how do these Li batteries cope with Delhi's heat parked in the sun (iii) fire hazards that Li batteries are known for. Also by then some further maturing of technology would have taken place.

I have a hybrid today. So I'm getting some soft exposure :-)
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 12:54   #119
BHPian

Nothing.
My last car was a diesel suv, which I bought knowing very well that it will be the last time to own something like that.
I am sure that my next car in 3-4 years time will definitely be electric.
Sree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 12:59   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Transparency declaration - I am a potential EV customer in the medium term. It is the direction personalized transportation will take - this is my firm belief.

Given the dramatic changes taking place each year in EV capability I plan to wait till 2022 or thereabouts before buying an EV. This buffer period is to see what experience is gained on - (i) EVs coping with our bad roads and giant speed breakers hitting the underside (where the batteries are located) (ii) how do these Li batteries cope with Delhi's heat parked in the sun (iii) fire hazards that Li batteries are known for. Also by then some further maturing of technology would have taken place.

I have a hybrid today. So I'm getting some soft exposure :-)
Even I am a potential EV customer for my next car - but more like 2024 or 2025. In 4W there are good choices and there would be more by then. Kona is a pretty ok vehicle even now.

2W - the industry has been disappointing. Maybe Bajaj and TVS will give the necessary drive.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks