Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2022, 09:33   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Tata Nexon EV Max, launched at Rs. 17.74 lakh (pg 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
It still baffles that people struggle to understand how the range figure works on the dashboard
DTE has always been misunderstood, not only in EVs but also in ICE cars. Gets a tad more confusing in an EV, more so because the DTE algorithm keeps evaluating the driving pattern perpetually and updates the DTE figure accordingly, which is not as "real-time" in an ICE car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattitude View Post
My Tigor EV gives me a range of anywhere between 200-250
That's awesome! Please do share some best practices on the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
What is the easiest way to charge an EV for a person staying in the apartment complex?
You will have to get a wire drawn from your meter (in the basement I presume) all the way till your parking spot, no other way out. I got it done 5 years back from my local electrician for my e2o, and it worked well for me till date. Now with Tata Power doing charger box installation for Nexon EVs, things are much more professional and smooth - they will survey your setup and provide you with the best possible option, along with estimate on extra cost if any. The only possible issue here could be obtaining permission from your apartment association.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th May 2022 at 10:55. Reason: As requested.
cool_dube is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 10:40   #377
Senior - BHPian

Illuminated gear selector in Nexon EV Max, the rotary dial had a screen on top which displays the selected drive mode.

Name:  SmartSelect_20220513103353_Instagram.gif
Views: 533
Size:  5.74 MB

Name:  SmartSelect_20220513103709_Instagram.gif
Views: 508
Size:  4.48 MB

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th May 2022 at 10:47.
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 10:43   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhatt View Post
What is the easiest way to charge an EV for a person staying in the apartment complex?

Is there a thread I can go through to get some insights? My parking spot is 100 - 150m away from my electricity meter. Only option is to pull a cable from there?
Propose your apartment association to go for common charger at common areas. ElectricPe company does it all for free. We did it.

Note: I don't have any relationship with ElectricPe except they did charger installation for our apt complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Illuminated gear selector in Nexon EV Max, the screen on top displays the selected drive mode.
I have this query about AT gear selector. Why is the R in between? Why should the user need to go through R when moving from N to P? Shouldn't it be in the extreme end, as in R-P-N-D ?

Normal use case is you drive (D), come to halt (N) and then park it (P).

ICE manual cars too have the R at extreme selection.

I have seen this in some AT cars in bumper to bumper traffic where when the driver tries to moves one inch, he shifts the gear selector and the rear back lights turns on for a second. Which means the selector went through R.

Last edited by fordday : 13th May 2022 at 10:58. Reason: added info
fordday is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 11:59   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Illuminated gear selector in Nexon EV Max, the rotary dial had a screen on top which displays the selected drive mode.

Link

Is it possible to move from "P" to "D" and "D" to "P" in one motion (maybe through a twist-and-hold action) ? It would be very annoying to make 3 twists to move between these.
Old 13th May 2022, 15:29   #380
Senior - BHPian

shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 15:56   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That's awesome! Please do share some best practices on the forum
In my experience, getting a good range from your EV is simple and involves understanding a few basic concepts. Drive between 50-70 kmph. Brake as less and as smoothly as possible. Instead of braking, take your foot off the accelerator and allow the car to slow don on it's own. Do not press the accelerator harshly. Always drive in the "D" mode. The more consistently you follow this, the better range you will get. Also, do not look at the car's estimated range. Keep a tab on the Wh/km. Divide the total battery capacity by the current Wh/km and you will have a fair idea of the real expected range in most situations.

Most people complaining about EVs are the one's who are unwilling to unlearn ICE driving concepts. If you want performance from your EV, you have to forget about the range. You have to decide what you are expecting from your EV.
Jattitude is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 16:01   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Though this looks like a really cool feature, looking at the experiences users have with TATAs infotainment and dashboard screens freezing / restarting or just being non responsive, imagine the plight of a user when the screen freezes up or just stop working. I would have preferred a physical selector rather than something like this. How would one know which gear they are currently in?
ps_abhijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 16:07   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
How would one know which gear they are currently in?
I am pretty sure it'll be displayed in the instrumental cluster as well
Old 13th May 2022, 16:17   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Has TATA removed Sports mode from EV Max?
Old 13th May 2022, 16:52   #385
BHPian

I think Tata is going too early into the EV segment with its top selling brands.
They should introduce other brands under the EV segment and derisk their Nexons and Altrozs
EVs in India are still half baked package and we have seen smaller vehicles getting riders in trouble already.
It is a huge risk which Tata is taking on its brand value.
There is no four wheeler EV burning incidence as of now.
No one got robbed/killed due to lack of charge on a secluded highway while driving an EV.
No accidents involving EVs wherein lives lost were due to batteries rather than anything else.

Either Tata is overly confident of its offering or it is moving on the 'Nano' path.
I will revisit this post after 2, 3 years and see if I am being overly cautious.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 17:20   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I think Tata is going too early into the EV segment with its top selling brands.
They should introduce other brands under the EV segment and derisk their Nexons and Altrozs
EVs in India are still half baked package and we have seen smaller vehicles getting riders in trouble already.
No one got robbed/killed due to lack of charge on a secluded highway while driving an EV.
No accidents involving EVs wherein lives lost were due to batteries rather than anything else.

Either Tata is overly confident of its offering or it is moving on the 'Nano' path.
I will revisit this post after 2, 3 years and see if I am being overly cautious.
So I've done a lot of research on EV in India since I have booked an EV car for myself. The most important thing that one has to understand that EV is coming and it's going to replace your ICE cars. Not because electric is cheaper than fuel but dependency on fossil fuels is alarming and government wants EV as alternative. Every where in the world, the transition is happening and it's smooth.

Now, I know many people are still not able to digest the fact that TATA Nexon Ev Max at Rs.20 lakhs is too expensive. But what they don't see is the fuel cost of easily more than Rs.10 lakhs (5-6 years fuel cost) after purchasing TATA Nexon Petrol/Diesel. Not only that, many don't know how EV drives. EV has far better driving pleasure than ICE cars, especially on sports mode.

What Tata is doing is bang on. It's doing what Maruti did with Maruit 800 when ICE cars were becoming big. It's using Nexon which is most reliable car and practical car for EV and capturing huge EV market share in India with it's trust brand value. Just for the record, EV car prices won't come down. There's a HUGE demand right now for EV cars which won't let the price come down and the input cost is higher than ICE cars but maintenance & charging cost is very less compared to ICE cars.

The roadmap that Tata has for EV is phenomenal and futuristic which will shape India's EV market. They are not only coming up with their old cars as EV but also new models. It shows how committed they are and how eager they are to capture this new EV market share. Maruti has been holding 50% market share for years and years with ICE cars. I think Tata will hold at least 50% market share in EV once EV is totally adopted by India and that's going to happen very quickly with the rising cost of fuel.
Bruichladdich is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 17:29   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think you are not giving Tata Motors credit where it's due.
Nexon EV is in the market for over 2 years now and has proved to be a reliable 4 wheeler EV in the market. Though there were initial niggles, they are now more or less sorted by Tata motors.
Even MG ZS EV had issues and Hyundai had to replace the battery pack on the Kona that were sold worldwide including India. So in that sense, Tata Motors have done a much better job. There are far more Nexon EVs on the road than the ZS or Kona, so clearly they are doing a better job.

Take a test drive of Nexon EV or any other EV before commenting on them being half baked package. They can give any similar ICE cars a run for their money. Yes, there are instances of two wheeler EVs catching fire, but this is largely due to insufficient R&D and the gain market share compromising safety. I see none of that in the 4 wheeler EV space.

Folks have used the Nexon for more than 85000Kms in less than 2 years with zero issues and there are many more examples in this forum itself.

EVs are not for people who cannot come out of the IC Engine mindset, there is a certain way once needs to drive an EV and when done, the rewards are well worth it. The charging infra has picked up massively and one can even do long distance trips in their EVs.

Also the new EV Max is the testament to responsiveness of Tata Motors to customer feedback. I was one of the first person in Bangalore to book the Nexon EV when it was launched end 2019. But after taking a test drive, I found it lacking in many departments and I cancelled my booking but not before voicing my opinion on why I am cancelling. The new EV max has resolved all but one drawback that I had highlighted back then, the one missing is the inclusion of 6 airbags. This time I am putting my money where my mouth is and getting the Nexon EV.
speedmiester is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 17:38   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK,

There are many four wheeler ICE burning incidence every year.
There are many who got robbed/killed due to lack of fuel or engine failure on a secluded highway while driving an ICE
There are many accidents involving ICEs wherein lives lost were due to burning fuel or CO poisoning rather than anything else.

Yet, we still drive ICE cars, don't worry about EVs, the risk of fire is less on EVs than ICE 4W. Chinese imported 2W is a different story, Ather never had any fire issues, OLA had just 1 fire incident which is getting investigated.
SKC-auto is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 17:53   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I think you are not giving Tata Motors credit where it's due.
Nexon EV is in the market for over 2 years now and has proved to be a reliable 4 wheeler EV in the market. Though there were initial niggles, they are now more or less sorted by Tata motors.
Even MG ZS EV had issues and Hyundai had to replace the battery pack on the Kona that were sold worldwide including India. So in that sense, Tata Motors have done a much better job. There are far more Nexon EVs on the road than the ZS or Kona, so clearly they are doing a better job.
Thank for sharing some insights. Unfortunately they only strengthen my theory of a different brand for Tata's EV vehicles. You just educated me that MG and Hyundai have different brands for their EV offerings. Of course their brand strategists are also basing this decision on some data points.
With half baked package(not half baked product) , I am not faulting the manufacturer but the whole EV infrastructure the country has to offer.
We, as a society are highly rumor sensitive, I am not telling this out of my head, but data shows this. Hence, I am little cautious about Tata introducing their EVs under the same brand name as their main selling stable. Only time will tell.
I am a big Tata Fan myself, for those who are unaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
OK,

There are many four wheeler ICE burning incidence every year.
There are many who got robbed/killed due to lack of fuel or engine failure on a secluded highway while driving an ICE
There are many accidents involving ICEs wherein lives lost were due to burning fuel or CO poisoning rather than anything else.

Yet, we still drive ICE cars, don't worry about EVs, the risk of fire is less on EVs than ICE 4W. Chinese imported 2W is a different story, Ather never had any fire issues, OLA had just 1 fire incident which is getting investigated.
You never know what impact such incidents caused to the brands when they happened. The same thing happened with CNG vehicles. When few Nano burning incidents can dent Nano's image, same is possible again, only time will tell. I will revisit this assumption after a few years. I sincerely hope that I am proven wrong.

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 13th May 2022 at 18:10.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 18:53   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram9193 View Post

The way it stands the MG ZS EV has the range to feel safe but less clearance than even the Punto (I checked!).
I m assuming you have a post 2012 Punto with the raised suspension. I m still not sure you are right because we have both the Punto and the ZS EV. We live in Coorg and you have to be super careful with the Punto while Driving it on the unpaved roads of the estate. Lot of Diagnol traversing. With the ZS EV you just drive without thinking. This despite running the ZS EV at psi 33.
Tokengrip is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks