Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2021, 18:50   #211
BHPian

re: Mobile operators in India | Plans, pricing & services

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Could it be that the networks switch their towers from 4G reception to 2G/3G at night as it may be consuming less electricity and hence lower costs for them? Just a layman's guess.
Taking an extremely wild, shoot-in-the-dark guess here. You are located in Punjab right (based on the pincode in your location)? Wasn't there news about Jio towers and cables being damaged during the farmers protest? Maybe that has got something to do with the network issues?
Old 8th February 2021, 18:56   #212
Senior - BHPian

I checked and ruled that possibility out. There was no disturbance in our area, and then it is common across operators. The only change in the equation is temperature and time of the day.
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:41   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
This winter, I witnessed a strange situation. I could access the internet alright during day time, but for some reason there would be no internet at night. I observed the same thing on the Airtel connection in my phone and Vi connection on my wife's phone. Fast internet connection during daytime and awesomely irritating slow speed internet at night. Generally the signal bars shown on the phones would also get reduced by 1-2 bars. But then sometimes the signal would be full strength and the 4G next to the bars would get replaced by the 'E' symbol. Can anyone explain why would this be happening? Each of the three operator's service centers had no clue about it.
An update to the problem quoted. The speed and signal strength are almost back. This past weekend, we had no problem streaming. The temperatures have thawed significantly, but the fog continues to be dense. I think there is some connection with low temperature and thick fog, and slow mobile internet.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:07   #214
BHPian

From over a month, I am facing internet outage issue with my Jio Sim in Dadar area of Mumbai. Max download speed never goes beyond 2 mbps. People at CC says that this is due to heavy load on the network and they are unable to provide any solution. Porting out is an option for better internet speeds of Vi and Airtel, but worried about their call quality issues. Anyone in Mumbai facing the same?
roamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:57   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
From over a month, I am facing internet outage issue with my Jio Sim in Dadar area of Mumbai.
If it helps, I am in Dadar West, on Airtel since a year and have no issues with the call quality or internet speeds.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 20:49   #216
BHPian

I need the lowest possible tariff with nominal data (0.5GB too would do) and talk time is not needed. Can someone advise if there is one? Jio and Airtel are preferred providers. Their site seems to hint at 48(Airtel) and 11(Jio) recharge options but unclear if they come with month-long validity. If there is a plan or longer tenure too with a similar low-cost offering that would do as well.

thanks in advance.
Old 29th March 2021, 21:47   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I need the lowest possible tariff with nominal data (0.5GB too would do) and talk time is not needed. Can someone advise if there is one? Jio and Airtel are preferred providers. Their site seems to hint at 48(Airtel) and 11(Jio) recharge options but unclear if they come with month-long validity. If there is a plan or longer tenure too with a similar low-cost offering that would do as well.

thanks in advance.
Airtel's 48 rupees plan gives 3gb of data with 28 days validity. That's what I use for my spare phone which is an exclusive Spotify remote device.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 14:22   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Airtel's 48 rupees plan gives 3gb of data with 28 days validity. That's what I use for my spare phone which is an exclusive Spotify remote device.
I guess they have made changes to this plan effective this month, it no longer offers validity but just data top-up above an existing plan with validity.
Old 26th July 2021, 16:10   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Airtel had some good family plans for the past couple of years. The 799 and 999 plans catered to low and high data usage customers. But now they have cancelled the 799 and moved everyone to 999 plan. Now all those with the 799 plan are being moved to 999 plan.

I complained to them, and they responded that they are giving carry forward upto 200GB !!! Amazing offer. Like it was not there earlier, and like customers can do something with the carried forward data.

An easy 2800-3k additional expense per year for stuff that wont be used by many customers, and additional revenue for Airtel while just sitting there doing nothing.

I dont know of any other service provider with similar plans - but quite likely others will modify their plans too.
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:24   #220
BHPian

With a few travels planned next month to remote areas, I am thinking of getting a BSNL prepaid sim as a backup. Does anyone know how to go about this and what documents would be required? I am assuming it is not as fast or straightforward as getting a Jio sim (in and out with Aadhaar in about 10 mins), but hope that its not too difficult either.

On a side note, has anyone ever used 10Digi? They claim to be authorised partners for a number of networks, including BSNL, and promise sim home delivery and doorstep activation. Thinking it might save me a trip to a BSNL office as well as the hassle there?
Old 5th February 2022, 16:59   #221
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used the Vodafone (VI) unlimited data post paid plan in Mumbai? What is the service like with respect to internet speed etc? Also what is the process to disconnect a post paid connection if one is not happy with the performance? My primay usage is internet as no reliable broadband services are available in my area.

Thanks.
Old 12th April 2022, 17:35   #222
BHPian

Subscribed to the 365 days "truly" unlimited calls pack from Vi in February 2022 after using the same plan in 2021. Prior to that was on the corporate postpaid plan by Vi.

Name:  Vi_Mumbai_Prepaid1799.png
Views: 159
Size:  36.3 KB

After reading about FBB store closures, tried to call the SBI Credit Card help desk number: 1 860 180 1290. Received a recorded message indicating low balance in my prepaid account.

When I spoke to Vi care on 6/April, they registered a complaint. Received calls from 2 customer care executives to inform that they are working on a resolution and 1 call from (what I believe) the technical team on 9/April asking me to change a couple of settings on the phone. When neither of the settings worked, they said the matter will be escalated internally.

Also had to call the Blue Dart number last week and the same recorded message came up. Yesterday (11/April), when I tried the SBI number, the call went through and I (incorrectly) assumed Vi fixed whatever the issue was. Today, when I tried calling the Blue Dart number (1 860 233 1234), the recorded message came up again.

Post an escalation call to 198 (12/April), the customer care executive and the senior customer care executive both informed me that I cannot make calls to numbers starting with 1 860 xxx xxxx using the "truly" unlimited pack. Asked them for contact details to escalate this further and an email has been sent to customercare@vodafoneidea.com. It will take 48 hours to hear back from them.

Has anyone with a similar "unlimited" prepaid pack with either Vi or Airtel or Jio faced issues calling 1 860 xxx xxxx numbers? Although I have other numbers/devices to call from, banks and other service providers seem to prefer calls from the registered number which in this case is tied to Vi.
anivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 18:23   #223
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anivy View Post
Has anyone with a similar "unlimited" prepaid pack with either Vi or Airtel or Jio faced issues calling 1 860 xxx xxxx numbers?
It's the same with me for my Vi 84 day prepaid pack with unlimited calls but limited data. It doesn't include these 1800, 1860 numbers.It's not the same with Jio - Jio packs have it free. No idea about Airtel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Has anyone used the Vodafone (VI) unlimited data post paid plan in Mumbai? What is the service like with respect to internet speed etc? Also what is the process to disconnect a post paid connection if one is not happy with the performance? My primay usage is internet as no reliable broadband services are available in my area..
I use Vi in Bombay - but I use the unlimited calls plan with limited data. The internet speed would depend on your location. So no way to tell unless you take a SIM to your home & check. Inside my home internet from Vi, Airtel & Jio - all 3 are terrible with Vi being marginally better than others. If I go 5 buildings away, Jio is pretty good, with Vi decent & Airtel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
My primay usage is internet as no reliable broadband services are available in my area.
Have you checked the cable internet providers in your area?

Last edited by carboy : 12th April 2022 at 18:29.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 18:26   #224
Oxy
BHPian

Lol atleast you get to call 198. With my Airtel unlimited plan I cannot even call the Airtel customer care, let alone the 1860 numbers.

Does any "truly" unlimited plan exist in Airtel?

Last edited by Oxy : 12th April 2022 at 18:27.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 20:06   #225
BHPian

Airtel Postpaid has reduced the time to pay the bills from 15 days to 10 days.

Both mine and my wife post paid bills are a week apart, so I generally wait for a week and pay them together. Last month, I got a message in about a week's time to hurry up the payment. I thought it was some stray message but paid anyway as my wife's bill also has come on the same day.

This month when I saw the bill it was indeed only 10 days. At least, they can send an email informing about the change I don't use any Auto Pay system with banks or cards.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks