Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2011, 13:00   #1
Team-BHP Support

Mobile operators in India | Plans, pricing & services

WE have lots of threads about mobile phones, mobile phone systems, software, apps, OS.... and so on. But I could find no thread about Mobile phone operators in India.
So this is it.
Use this thread to as about plans/pricing/service/offers etc.,

As as a first question on this thread...

I am wondering how is the Aircel network, esp in North India and Delhi?

Their roaming rates are much less than vodafone.

They do not have 3G yet, but apparently its coming soon, and I am not really in dire need of 3G speeds, normal GPRS will do as long as I can get around 80kbps.

There is IDEA also, but their roaming rates are more as compared to Aircel (1p/s incoming and outgoing).

Do not want to go with Airtel, as it is pretty useless when it comes to customer care and service.
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:32   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
WE have lots of threads about mobile phones, mobile phone systems, software, apps, OS.... and so on. But I could find no thread about Mobile phone operators in India.
So this is it.
Use this thread to as about plans/pricing/service/offers etc.,

As as a first question on this thread...

I am wondering how is the Aircel network, esp in North India and Delhi?

Their roaming rates are much less than vodafone.

They do not have 3G yet, but apparently its coming soon, and I am not really in dire need of 3G speeds, normal GPRS will do as long as I can get around 80kbps.

There is IDEA also, but their roaming rates are more as compared to Aircel (1p/s incoming and outgoing).

Do not want to go with Airtel, as it is pretty useless when it comes to customer care and service.
I have been using vodafone network in NCR for past 2 years. Solid network. Good GPRS connectivity overall. Didnt face any issue so far with customer care. Currently using gprs to post here too.
Old 30th May 2012, 14:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Mobile operators in India | Plans, pricing & services

How is IDEA in Bangalore and in Karnataka? A friend wants to go it (2G).
Old 30th May 2012, 14:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

In Pune - from personal experience Vodafone and Idea Cellular are really good, though I have to add that I find Vodafone's network and service marginally better than Idea. Airtel is BAD. Can't comment on the others.
Old 30th May 2012, 15:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

I was with BPL mobile in mumbai for about 7 years, then moved to Airtel in bangalore for the past 4 years. No problems faced with network as such with either.

With Airtel, at my residence, airtel connectivity is weak. But not faced too many call drops etc co far. My plan is a Supersaver CUG plan, features as below:
1. Rent Rs.250 per month
2. Free 600 local and STD mobile minutes. 150 local+150 National SMS free
3. Local: Airtel to Airtel 20p, Airtel to Mobile 30p, Local Landlines 50p
4. STD: 50 p
5. Roaming incoming 60p, outgoing- 80p

This plan is not published on their site. If you send an SMS saying you want to port your number to another provider, they will offer this plan. Its a pure VFM plan.

Last edited by hrman : 30th May 2012 at 15:03.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 15:17   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Pune (Maharashtra)

Vodafone :
Pros :
- Good network
- Marginally better customer service (CS)
- Decent plans
- Excellent online website
- Best operator for BB services

Cons :
- Second best network (IMO) in MH w.r.t coverage
- Slightly overpriced

Idea :
Pros :
- Excellent network
- VFM plans (with sufficient choice)
- Basic online website
- Best network (IMO) in MH w.r.t coverage

Cons :
- Not the best customer service (High dependency on stores for process)
- CS has very less understanding of BB services/troubleshooting

Airtel :
Pros :
- Good Network
- Decent plans
- Decent online website

Cons :
- Third best network (IMO) in MH w.r.t coverage
- Hopeless CS
- Billing issues (main reason why I ported out of Airtel)

Reliance / Tata / New Operaters : Haven't experienced

Disclaimer:
- Above feedback is with respect to my usage of these operators over past 7 years
- Plans are w.r.t corporate plans (All operators have similar pre-paid plans)
- Network coverage feedback is spot-on. No doubts about it.
- Have used all three operators for long periods in the past.
- Last 12 months experience : Airtel -> ported to Idea -> ported to Vodafone
- Haven't experienced 3G services yet. On GPRS aspects, all are more or less on the same level

Last edited by ninjatalli : 30th May 2012 at 15:18.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
How is IDEA in Bangalore and in Karnataka? A friend wants to go it (2G).
Avoid Idea in KA. They are on the Spice network which isn't recommended. As an ex Idea MH user (now on Vodafone), my mobile latched onto the Spice/idea network whilst roaming. Voice quality is sub par. Vodafone or Airtel are better IMHO. BLR guys should be able to comment further
Old 31st May 2012, 16:01   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I have a feeling with the latest Sibbal salvo a lot of discussions may go for a six.

I have been with Reliance CDMA right from the DAPO days, we may curse them but in terms of coverage I find them excellent. CDMA handsets are a bit of a problem but there are many importers who will get you a phone and do the MEID registration etc. You will only need to activate it. EvDo will also be activated within a day or two. Unfortunately Tata does not support third party handsets.

My second handset is BSNL. Service may be dodgy but for a pan-India footprint they are supreme. Also, connectivity outside town is far better (very little traffic).
Old 18th July 2012, 09:28   #9
BHPian

Re: Airtel Prepaid Packs for Roaming?

I would be travelling from B'lore to Mumbai today, and will be there for a week. I am on Airtel Prepaid (Karnataka) and would like to know, whether i can use data on roaming? I am using the Rs. 98/- monthly data pack for 2g.

Also, is there any packs for voice on roaming? Please advice.

Last edited by JMaruru : 18th July 2012 at 09:29.
Old 18th July 2012, 09:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru
I would be travelling from B'lore to Mumbai today, and will be there for a week. I am on Airtel Prepaid (Karnataka) and would like to know, whether i can use data on roaming? I am using the Rs. 98/- monthly data pack for 2g.

Also, is there any packs for voice on roaming? Please advice.
Yes i too am on roaming and posting this from the same data plan. Local calls i.e in Mumbai may cost you 1rs and std calls to Karnataka will cost you 1.5rs. In case the roaming doesnt start for you just go to operator selection and select manually and then from the list choose Airtel. Ive had to do that this time so.

Regarding voice packs there is Airtel turbo plan where call charges become 60p/min. IIRC the two plans were 98 and 99 rs each. You will have to search the airtel website for this.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 18th July 2012 at 09:45.
Old 27th July 2012, 13:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Yes i too am on roaming and posting this from the same data plan. Local calls i.e in Mumbai may cost you 1rs and std calls to Karnataka will cost you 1.5rs. In case the roaming doesnt start for you just go to operator selection and select manually and then from the list choose Airtel. Ive had to do that this time so.

Regarding voice packs there is Airtel turbo plan where call charges become 60p/min. IIRC the two plans were 98 and 99 rs each. You will have to search the airtel website for this.
I had been in mumbai for a week, and used the airtel 53 pack which provides incoming calls at 60ps/min and outgoing calls at 60ps/min for airtel and 80ps/min for others.
Old 27th July 2012, 14:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

Reliance-KA: I was on Reliance CDMA for last five years then moved to Reliance GSM after number portability. The coverage was better in CDMA than GSM. Rs. 199 pay per second + Rs. 299 Blackberry plan.

My Tab carries a prepaid Docomo sim for 3G. I recharge for Rs. 246+4 to get 1GB 3G data and Rs. 219 talktime with 30 days validity. At home, I connect laptop with wifi/mobile AP and its almost equilant to Netconnect+

My Netconnect is taking rest now
Old 27th July 2012, 22:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru

I had been in mumbai for a week, and used the airtel 53 pack which provides incoming calls at 60ps/min and outgoing calls at 60ps/min for airtel and 80ps/min for others.
Im getting local calls at 1rs and std at 1.5rs on airtel roaming. That 53 pack is valid for 6months right?

Btw one word of caution to those on roaming networks. Checking your balance using USSD code also eats away 1.5rs everytime you check.

Regards
Old 27th July 2012, 23:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here using pre-paid Airtel sim, You can use the below mentioned procedure to get cheaper call rates, i.e A2A local 10p per minute, Local to other network- 30p per minute and 40p per min for STD for 3 months, without any charge.

Just sent a SMS mentioning PORT space your number to 1900, And wait till Airtel guys call you, most probably they give you a call in 24 Hrs.

When they will call you, they will ask you, Why you want to PORT your no. ?

Just say them, you're getting cheaper call rates from any XYZ company, I mentioned AIRCEL in my case, after which, they will ask you what rates are you getting from them, I said 10p per min for local and 30p per min STD, irrespective of any charge ( not that AIRCEL is offering any plan like this ).

After which, they will offer you above mentioned plan ( in first line ) and will ask you that, Do you still like to PORT the number, just say activate this plan as early as possible and They will activate this plan in 72 Hours.

I am using this plan for over 6 months, after first 3 months the plan came to an end, after which I again repeated the whole activity and again got this plan for another 3 months.

This is tried and tested, I am using this along with over 5 friends of mine. We all followed the above mentioned procedure and voila ! we're all are using this for over 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sameer
Old 27th July 2012, 23:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Anyone here using pre-paid Airtel sim, You can use the below mentioned procedure to get cheaper call rates, i.e A2A local 10p per minute, Local to other network- 30p per minute and 40p per min for STD for 3 months, without any charge.

Just sent a SMS mentioning PORT space your number to 1900, And wait till Airtel guys call you, most probably they give you a call in 24 Hrs.

When they will call you, they will ask you, Why you want to PORT your no. ?

Just say them, you're getting cheaper call rates from any XYZ company, I mentioned AIRCEL in my case, after which, they will ask you what rates are you getting from them, I said 10p per min for local and 30p per min STD, irrespective of any charge ( not that AIRCEL is offering any plan like this ).

After which, they will offer you above mentioned plan ( in first line ) and will ask you that, Do you still like to PORT the number, just say activate this plan as early as possible and They will activate this plan in 72 Hours.

I am using this plan for over 6 months, after first 3 months the plan came to an end, after which I again repeated the whole activity and again got this plan for another 3 months.

This is tried and tested, I am using this along with over 5 friends of mine. We all followed the above mentioned procedure and voila ! we're all are using this for over 6 months.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sameer
I have been doing this for the past 6 months and more, but I wanted to port for real and after hearing about their plan i planned to stick with Airtel itself but did not know it expires after 60 days. I called the customer care inquiring the same and voila it got extended for another 60 more days. After using for close to 6 months now I am back at 1.2 piase per second for Airtel to Airtel and 1.4 paise to other mobiles which is eating my pre-paid balance like never seen before. I recharge for close to 1000 bucks a month.

When i called the customer care for the same, they said the plan does not exist anymore. If i send a PORT message to 1900, I get a reply back with unique porting ID right away, but no more calls from Airtel reps .

One of the costliest pre paid rates is for airtel. Still DOCOMO is unbeatable when it comes to recharge plans and per paise call rates but coverage sucks big time.

Looking for pan india coverage and good affordable, transparent rates with any other mobile operator now. Any suggestions , guys.

Most Viewed