Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 17:25   #3316
Team-BHP Support

you may want to try the 55-250 Canon lens. Its a very good lens, and comes at fairly low price. At telephoto end, you won't really lose much with 250 vs 300mm, and the 15 MPs would be helpful for cropping.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:19   #3317
BHPian

D90 arrived at last!

Dear Friends:

At long last my D90 has arrived from JJ mehta along with 18-105mm. My heartfelt thanks to all members who had provided valuable inputs Greatly appreciate it and also other members who tolerated my incessant questions.

My first trip with the new cam would be Kanha National Park. Hope to click some decent shots.

Cheers!
fatboyslim
Old 16th March 2010, 07:59   #3318
BHPian

Gentlemen:

I am super excited!

The following were included in kit:

1. D90 body
2. 18-105 Nikkor lens
3. lens hood
4. lens pouch
5. Nikon Camera bag
6. Marumi UV filter
7. 8 GB memory card
8. others 9warranty et al)

Everthing else is locked and loaded, but there is a small black accessory cap (black), which I could not map to anr part of the camera body. Can any one tell me what that i meant for?

I am triyng to upload photo's of the kit, taken by my P&S but unable to. As this is my first time uploading photos, perhaps i need to refer to the attachment upload manual.

Cheers!
fatboyslim
Old 16th March 2010, 10:12   #3319
Senior - BHPian

Congrats FBS, Happy clicking!

That black cap is either to close the camera front opening when no lens is attached OR to close the back of the lens.

Nikon bag, is it the V-shaped OR rectangular type?
Old 16th March 2010, 10:57   #3320
Team-BHP Support

For the first time in my life, I have ordered something online in India from an indian retailer, smartshoppers.in. Lets see when they ship the order. "Fingers crossed"
Old 16th March 2010, 12:49   #3321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
there is a small black accessory cap (black), which I could not map to anr part of the camera body. Can any one tell me what that i meant for?
Congratulations fatboy !! Enjoy the D90. I think that black cap is something supposed to be fixed back of the sensor inside. May be they forgot to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For the first time in my life, I have ordered something online in India from an indian retailer, smartshoppers.in.
Tanveer, I think you missed 1 or 2 pages here discussing about them. There was no good feedback from anyone, but complaints about delayed shipping and excess pricing etc. Curious to know your order ? All the best, now you can tell us how you personally feel about them in few days.

Fatboy, I was kidding above, it should be the camera cap or the lens cap.

Last edited by shajufx : 16th March 2010 at 12:50.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:58   #3322
Team-BHP Support

No I did not miss the discussion. Infact the discussion prompted me to postpone my ordering.
I was looking for an ultra wide angle lens like the Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Tamron 10-24 or Sigma 10-20.
Chandni chowk drew a blank, and therefore I turned to smartshoppers.
the discussion guided me in one thing, that website does not always give the true status of whats in stock.
So I chatted up with them, and they told me tokina 11-16 F2.8 is not in stock, but will be in stock next week. Price listed was 25500 with warranty. Now this was a whopping discount on the 39K MRP. Ditto for Tamron 10-24(25K with warranty. Hardly any discount on MRP.

Come monday(yesterday), the prices had changed. Tokina was 35K with warranty, 27.5K without warranty, and the tamron dropped down to 22500 (10% off MRP) with warranty, and everything was in stock.
Yesterday night I placed the order for tamron, and around 11:30am I got a call from them followed by an email that my order is approved now, and in process. They say the lens will be shipped on 18th of March, i.e. thursday and should be with my by Friday or Monday.

So keeping fingers crossed!
Old 16th March 2010, 13:30   #3323
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear that. I was about to place my order for Sigma 150-500 few days back, luckily I thought of using the live chat and found there was no stock and price was not correct on the site too. Their list is sometimes misleading. One day I found same lens mentioned at different places for 2 prices (difference of 5k), but all the specifications were same to every letter. Thats for sure a mistake.

I will wait for your feedback, so that I can try few items from them. Some prices are very competitive. No doubt.
Old 16th March 2010, 13:38   #3324
Team-BHP Support

Do read the fine print.
For example the Tamron 10-24 MRP is around 25K, so at 22500 its just a 10% off MRP, which is kind of okay. You get this deal anywhere.
In case of Tokina 11-16 F2.8 the price is 35K with warranty, just 12% off MRP, and 27K price is without warranty.
So if you have 2 items listed at different prices, its due to "with warranty" and "without warranty"
Old 16th March 2010, 13:49   #3325
BHPian

Hey Thanks Guys, I appreciate your wishes and the inputs!

@Shaji: Man! you got me for a moment there . I was about to faint-my heart has already become weak after the purchase. Just kiddin!
Keeping on with the topic on 70-300 mm, I am keenly looking for information on pricing from the latest offerring from Tamron. I expect them to undercut Nikon or Canon by around 25-30%. What say?

@Finney: Hey Fiiny! Thats the not a cap, I mean there is this small thingie: rectangular and 1/2 inch X 1/4 inch, black. Looks like a contact cover for the speedlite connections but its not..the one for speedlight is already there. Nikon calls it an accessory cover BC-10.

@Tanveer: Show us the light to make more purchases from Indian retailers. Now only if Indian prices become more rationalized.
Old 16th March 2010, 14:18   #3326
Senior - BHPian

Yes its the difference of warranty !
Old 16th March 2010, 15:19   #3327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Thats the not a cap, I mean there is this small thingie: rectangular and 1/2 inch X 1/4 inch, black. Looks like a contact cover for the speedlite connections but its not..the one for speedlight is already there. Nikon calls it an accessory cover BC-10.
BM-10 is the translucent LCD Cover.

I think its DK-5. Its Eyepiece cover.

Cheers
Old 16th March 2010, 16:54   #3328
Senior - BHPian

Fatboy, before you count on the extra things what you got in the pack, click few snaps and take some videos and see if everything is coming out in colour ! Make sure the sensors are inside, lens focus motors are working, built-in-flash pops up when you press, menu has all the listed things as shown in the manual etc. They are more important than those accessories. Also dont forget to check the shutter-count of your cam by checking the exif data of your first snaps. Its to make sure the product what you got is not re-furbished but a brand new piece !
Old 16th March 2010, 18:10   #3329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Fatboy, before you count on the extra things what you got in the pack, click few snaps and take some videos and see if everything is coming out in colour ! Make sure the sensors are inside, lens focus motors are working, built-in-flash pops up when you press, menu has all the listed things as shown in the manual etc. They are more important than those accessories. Also dont forget to check the shutter-count of your cam by checking the exif data of your first snaps. Its to make sure the product what you got is not re-furbished but a brand new piece !
Hey Shaju:

Thanks for sharing this information. Well I have clicked over 50 snaps till the time I received the piece. Also, my wife went berserk and clicked maybe another 50. everything is coming out in color atleast on the LCD information display. Have not downloaded them yet so cant say.

1. Sensor is inside, thats the first thing I checked!
2. Lens auto focus is working fine. Pretty fast and silent Af I must add!
3. I need to check the menu if it reflects the format and the items listed in the manual. Will update on this
4. Built in flash does pop up and fires automoatically in Auto mode
5. Shutter count from Exif data need to be checked. Is there a way to check it in-camera. Will update on this. However, when I swtched on the cam, it did ask me about the language options, time zones etc. Does that count?
6. I am hopingits a fresh piece, I literally smelled it to ascertain that-not a demo piece (fingers crossed). Refurbished is another story though. It has a Nikon India warranty, so chances are low. But I will definitely check-thanks for pointing it out. Greatly appreciate it!
Old 16th March 2010, 19:03   #3330
Senior - BHPian

Fatboy, I doubt if you can check the shutter count from camera itself, although you can see the exif data. A reset cam will show every other set up as fresh like the language, time etc. So, dont rely on that. Upload your pics to the pc and use this website Jeffrey's Exif viewer

Use the local image file area and upload your first picture into it, it will show the complete exif data that are not usually visible through other methods. Check for the shutter count and you will feel comfortable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks