Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 12:48   #6421
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Wonderful! Do you have the 18-135 kit?

Regarding the carry bag, it will depend on the gear you are carrying around. I have a Lowepro Altus 170. This allows me to carry the camera with standard kit lens, one single focus lens, the hood (detached) and cables. At a pinch I can carry the charger as well though the bag becomes a bit cramped. The bag costed me about 1870/- after discount.
Nope mate, got the 18-105 mm kit.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:01   #6422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Has anyone got a camera bag (Lowepro/Lata etc) purchased through Amazon, directly shipped to India?
If yes, were there any hiccups with shipment/customs?

I was looking at Fastpack 350 or 250 (Lowepro). Has any one used it?
You can check Global Shopping: Buy from International Stores like Amazon, Victoria . They ship from your amazon shopping cart directly to india. I haven't tried it personally though
Old 14th February 2011, 13:12   #6423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I use a Fastpack 350 regularly, although I have the AW Mini Trekker as well as shoulder case Kata, I seem to prefer the FP350 more these days.
Refer the post below, I have also placed 5 lenses into the lower compartment and carried two full size flashguns with accompanying triggers/batteries/chargers/cables and there was still space to spare in the FP350, considerable weight, but not an issue to carry around.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2129008

The Amazon price seems to be the same as India price, that is apart from the shipping that you have to pay for anyway. But if you still want to buy from abroad, make sure the total value (item+shipping+insurance) falls below 10K and there is no duty charged, speaking from personal experience getting multiple items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
@ampere,
You can try these websites. I have read quite few had ordered from these.
Shetala :: Home Page
SmartShoppers: Online Shopping India | Cameras, Digital Camera, SLR Camera, Camera Lenses, Mobiles, Laptops & Accessories
Both sites have good varieties of bags.
Did you tried checking with Jayesh(Chickpet) ?
Thanks guys. I called up Jayesh. He seems to have one. And yes the price is same as in Amazon. Will buy some time from India itself.

Last edited by ampere : 14th February 2011 at 13:23.
Old 14th February 2011, 15:44   #6424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Going to Chandni Chowk to get the following accessories today:

1. Nikon HB-7 hood for the Nikkor 80~200 f/2.8
2. Hoya PRO 1D UV filter
3. Hoya PRO 1D CPL filter

The CPL would also be used on the Nikkor 24~70 f/2.8
Do let us know what those filters cost you. I hope you get original Hoyas as after my experience I'm a bit wary about buying them here.

Ah! The 24-70 AF-S is another great Nikkor lens..and one that I am aiming for. A VR version is expected this year. That'll be really something

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th February 2011 at 15:46.
Old 14th February 2011, 19:29   #6425
BHPian

Im looking for a tripod around 2.5K. Some models from Slik and Vanguard come in this budget, what would be a good choice ?

Slik F630, F740

Vanguard Espod / Vanguard MAK

Or unbranded one from omaxphoto on ebay ??
Old 14th February 2011, 20:21   #6426
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Going to Chandni Chowk to get the following accessories today:

1. Nikon HB-7 hood for the Nikkor 80~200 f/2.8
2. Hoya PRO 1D UV filter
3. Hoya PRO 1D CPL filter

The CPL would also be used on the Nikkor 24~70 f/2.8

@gd1418: do you mind sharing the details of the shop(s) in Chandni Chawk that you get your gears from? I normally go to Pritam, and they seem fairly reliable, but I'd like to have more options.
Old 14th February 2011, 22:30   #6427
Senior - BHPian

@R2D2: Went there today, I just gave a stern explanation that I am not going to need this, and this is a fake. The guy just said a series of Ok's and took it back.

I checked out the Hoya CPL. It was priced at 1.65K. It was looking like a genuine one, but didn't have the 'Japan' emboss on the pack. As it was made in Hong Kong. So, gave it a miss..
Old 14th February 2011, 23:07   #6428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
@R2D2: Went there today, I just gave a stern explanation that I am not going to need this, and this is a fake. The guy just said a series of Ok's and took it back.

I checked out the Hoya CPL. It was priced at 1.65K. It was looking like a genuine one, but didn't have the 'Japan' emboss on the pack. As it was made in Hong Kong. So, gave it a miss..
Given his rather objectionless acceptance of the return and the absence of any attempts to convince you it is real, it looks like the dealer was willingly passing off fake stuff on unsuspecting customers!

Regarding the CPL, always cross check on Adorama and B&H for the prices of the filter you want to buy. If it is much less then you know its a fake.

I wrote to my dealer today and asked him to get me the Hoya HMC or Super HMC filters from Interfoto in Mumbai only. He's going to revert tomorrow. An alternative I have thought of are the Nikon NC filters.

My last option is buying them online from the US, something I want to avoid given the cost of shipping + possible customs duty.

Cheers!
Old 14th February 2011, 23:42   #6429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
Im looking for a tripod around 2.5K. Some models from Slik and Vanguard come in this budget, what would be a good choice ?

Slik F630, F740

Vanguard Espod / Vanguard MAK

Or unbranded one from omaxphoto on ebay ??
What is the heaviest camera and lens combo you have or plan to get? Both the tripods you have mentioned can support only 2kg weight. Even with a small DSLR and kit lens you will be bordering the load capacity.
Speaking from experience, I suggest you don't get these cheap tripods. They tend to be unstable and are not suitable for DSLRs. Better save some money and buy something that will last you a lifetime.
Old 14th February 2011, 23:54   #6430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
What is the heaviest camera and lens combo you have or plan to get? Both the tripods you have mentioned can support only 2kg weight. Even with a small DSLR and kit lens you will be bordering the load capacity.
Speaking from experience, I suggest you don't get these cheap tripods. They tend to be unstable and are not suitable for DSLRs. Better save some money and buy something that will last you a lifetime.
I currently have a D3100, 18-55mm and 55-200mm Lenses. As of now, there are no plans to get a heavier lens. Which tripod do you suggest ?
Old 15th February 2011, 01:41   #6431
Senior - BHPian

Ok here are the details:

Nikon HB-7 bayonet hood - Rs. 1400/-

I did not get the PRO 1D. Instead I got these:

Hoya multicoated HMC UV(C) 77mm - MRP Rs.1800/-

Hoya Digital CIR-PL 77mm - MRP Rs. 3300/-

I got a 28% discount on the filters. In total I paid Rs. 5072 for all the three items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Do let us know what those filters cost you. I hope you get original Hoyas as after my experience I'm a bit wary about buying them here.

Ah! The 24-70 AF-S is another great Nikkor lens..and one that I am aiming for. A VR version is expected this year. That'll be really something

Regards,
I've always been going to Pritam since ages for all my photographic equipment and so do all my photographer friends & acquaintances. Apart from Pritam, I haven't gone to anyone else in Chandni Chowk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
@gd1418: do you mind sharing the details of the shop(s) in Chandni Chawk that you get your gears from? I normally go to Pritam, and they seem fairly reliable, but I'd like to have more options.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:31   #6432
BHPian

Recently one of friend asked what camera for beginner in Canon & Nikon Brand with X budget. So budget is limited at 1000 USD (with lens). I made following comparison of entry level cameras. Thought It is useful to members!

Experts might update conclusion so that members get benefit!

PS: I have no intention to flame any brand. So if any conclusions are inclined or misrepresented here, its due to my understanding of the same, please correct it

Camera.xlsx.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:58   #6433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
PS: I have no intention to flame any brand. So if any conclusions are inclined or misrepresented here, its due to my understanding of the same, please correct it
Attachment 502744.
You could add the Nikon D90+18-105 and Canon 60D +18-135 to that list.

Last edited by navin : 15th February 2011 at 11:59.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:07   #6434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
You could add the Nikon D90+18-105 and Canon 60D +18-135 to that list.
The cost was exceeding 1k USD (at the time I made comparison, last week). But now I see Nikon Kit has huge discount! The canon kit is even more expensive, although its quiet superior.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:19   #6435
Team-BHP Support

Ragu I would even go so far as to recommend the Nikon 5000 with the 18-105 and either the 35/1.8 or even 70-300 (the last lens would push the budget but it would be a nice combo and would cover a FF equivalent from 27mm to 450mm).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks