Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 20:28   #9766
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Came across a good tutorial on the Focusing system of Canon cameras. This is from a Canon guy so he knows what is he talking about. Just search on Google/You tube since I am not sure If I can post links:

Search: Part 1 of 3: A Look at The Canon Autofocus System
Old 21st May 2012, 21:03   #9767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
A week back I was in the shop to buy a Lowepro bag. A family bought a 5DIII with dunno what lens. They were billed 2.2L. It was very apparent that it was their first purchase, they were asking the shopkeeper what accessories to buy! The guy was asking what would a filter do, which filter to buy! The shop keeper threw a el cheapo Marumi, a local sling bag as freebie.

I was really

People buy top of the line stuff to learn!
I won't mind if they will actually learn something but most of the time it's just to show-off

Anyway, if the price remains at 1.8L types then I don't think i'm gonna buy one. Better to stick to mark II only, yes the AF system is great compared to mark II but I don't seem to convince myself that it worth that 80k hike in price (considering grey market mark II is 1.05L ).
Old 21st May 2012, 22:14   #9768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Couple of sample shots for you wanderer - handheld Super Steady Shot examples
Thanks, clevermax. The more I see your pics, more I become convinced about the A35, despite what many people say about it not being a true blue "SLR". And it seems that the sensor shift works very well in your compositions, unless you have super steady hands. Now, only thing remaining is to see if the upgraded A37 will be launched here soon. (Though I don't know what improvements are there in this over the A35, but still would like to have the "upgraded" one if the launch is imminent.)
Old 21st May 2012, 22:20   #9769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
I won't mind if they will actually learn something but most of the time it's just to show-off

Anyway, if the price remains at 1.8L types then I don't think i'm gonna buy one. Better to stick to mark II only, yes the AF system is great compared to mark II but I don't seem to convince myself that it worth that 80k hike in price (considering grey market mark II is 1.05L ).
Don't even think of grey market with expensive photo equipment - it is risky. A Mk2 is a better choice as of now.

But that can change if Canon wisens up and drops the Mk3 price. Which I hope for even though it is contrary to the policy of price drops after new models are introduced. I haven't seen such a dumb act before. Nikon truly raised the bar with the D800 kept the price at the same level as that of the D700 when it was introduced in 2008.

As for showing off - believe me, there are very few people who can identify high end camera bodies/lenses. Put gaffers or similar temporary adhesive tape on the brand name and/or model # and note how you avoid curious stares. Most people only notice the Nikon or Canon embossed over the prism.

The drive to buy high end cameras is in the mistaken belief that they will result in better photographs. NOT!
Old 21st May 2012, 22:47   #9770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Don't even think of grey market with expensive photo equipment - it is risky. A Mk2 is a better choice as of now.

But that can change if Canon wisens up and drops the Mk3 price. Which I hope for even though it is contrary to the policy of price drops after new models are introduced. I haven't seen such a dumb act before. Nikon truly raised the bar with the D800 kept the price at the same level as that of the D700 when it was introduced in 2008.
Seriously, Nikon D800 looks so VFM with the current context that I'm sure many have shifted their stable. Canon should've priced it sensibly instead of pricing it almost like double the price of it's previous Avatar. I'm sure that as of now I'll stick to MkII. Well, about grey market, what I meant is without bill but I'll buy from my regular dealer only. After spending quite a few lakhs I think I can trust that guy . Plan is to sell off 40D & 10-22mm
and get 5D mk II + 17-40mm. May be I can even look for 2nd hand also.

Quote:
As for showing off - believe me, there are very few people who can identify high end camera bodies/lenses. Put gaffers or similar temporary adhesive tape on the brand name and/or model # and note how you avoid curious stares. Most people only notice the Nikon or Canon embossed over the prism.

The drive to buy high end cameras is in the mistaken belief that they will result in better photographs. NOT!
Yeah that too, people still think that they can be a better photographer if they get the best camera. I bet, the family mentioned above might got the shock of their life when they'll realize that there are no automatic-scene-mode-do-it-all-even-make-coffee buttons on the dial of 5D mkIII. Come on, even that previous point & shoot had those buttons.
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:36   #9771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post

I bet, the family mentioned above might got the shock of their life when they'll realize that there are no automatic-scene-mode-do-it-all-even-make-coffee buttons on the dial of 5D mkIII.
I have two friends who belong to the same category.

A chick with a 550D on automode. Another, a guy with a D90 and 55-300 on auto mode. The guy with the D90 said the functions are too complicated, hence he always leaves the camera on auto with AF-C and only changes the focal length.

I was
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:34   #9772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A chick with a 550D on automode.
Does the 500D has something like and intelligent Auto mode? I have an Auto+ mode in A35, wherein the camera uses any of the shooting modes available on it, based on the lighting conditions, distance of the subject, background light, movement etc. It may choose Night portrait mode, landscape mode, sports mode or macro mode depending on the conditions. This mode will be extremely useful for casual shooters and it gives better pictures in many conditions than Auto mode.

Auto mode - Camera automatically calculates the shooting parameters.
Auto+ mode - Camera automatically chooses any of the creative shooting modes based on what it sees. Then it is up to the chosen mode to tweak shooting parameters for a desired result.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd May 2012 at 15:44.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:57   #9773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Does the 500D has something like and intelligent Auto mode? This mode will be extremely useful for casual shooters and it gives better pictures in many conditions than Auto mode.
Dunno, I own a D90. Canon users can clarify on this.

Still beats me, why a DSLR if all they are gonna use is auto mode! Maybe better camera=better pics syndrome? OR, snob value?
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:10   #9774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12

Dunno, I own a D90. Canon users can clarify on this.

Still beats me, why a DSLR if all they are gonna use is auto mode! Maybe better camera=better pics syndrome? OR, snob value?
Better optics can still be an advantage, if they use high end lenses..

Then there can be superior battery life too
Old 24th May 2012, 09:21   #9775
BHPian

Info on the following

Hello there seniors !

I'm Planing to go in for a new DSLR camera, priced at 35-45K(max-max-max). Its basically going to be my hobby cam. Love the Panasonic GH-2 and waiting for the Nikon D3200. I'd be grateful if someone could give me details of the prices and availability of these cameras in delhi ? possibly a good bargain ? Grey market prices ?

I don't want to go for a 1100D coz i've seen enough of kids roaming around with it. I have been using a fuji finepix S5800, a canon eos 550D(Brother's) and a old Russian Zenith ET (film) SLR for sometime now. Want to get something new now. Please drop in your suggestions on the above two and on any other cameras keeping the range in mind.

Thanks in advance !!
Old 24th May 2012, 21:46   #9776
BHPian

Did all flies die??
I did not see any fly's photographs around. All got fresh apples here?
No dead apples?
Old 24th May 2012, 21:51   #9777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
a canon eos 550D(Brother's)
It would make sens to get a Canon. You can share the lens. A camera from any other stable means individual lens purchase. Give it a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Did all flies die??
I did not see any fly's photographs around. All got fresh apples here?
No dead apples?
You should prolly look at the non-auto image thread
Old 25th May 2012, 17:52   #9778
BHPian

Quote:
It would make sens to get a Canon. You can share the lens. A camera from any other stable means individual lens purchase. Give it a thought.
Have been thinking on it for some time now. Brother wants to shift to nikon sometime soon plus in canon apart from a 550d nothing would fit the range i guess ? or may be the T3i ? anyone using it here ?

Trying to avoid a 1100d
Old 25th May 2012, 21:34   #9779
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilalsyed View Post
Have been thinking on it for some time now. Brother wants to shift to nikon sometime soon plus in canon apart from a 550d nothing would fit the range i guess ? or may be the T3i ? anyone using it here ?

Trying to avoid a 1100d
I have a 550D and am pretty happy with its performance. You should give it a thought. If you already have canon lenses, 550D definitely makes sense.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:11   #9780
BHPian

Can anyone who has used the Canon 60D point out its real world advantages over the T3i (600D)? Technically, the cameras are "almost" similar barring few advantages like higher shutter speed, higher fps and all 9 cross points for AF in the 60D. I am debating between these 2 cameras. I currently own the 1000D that I want to replace.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks