Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2017, 11:14   #14371
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Guys, need suggestion. My 1100 D which I have used since 2012 for model car and family photography has broken down with mother board failure. The cost towards repair is 8k at cannon service center.

Since I am just a casual photographer, what should I do - repair the camera or buy a new one. And is there any cheaper alternative to repairing. I am from Bangalore.
Same case with my 1100D. One day I gave it to my friend, who was travelling to Goa, and when he came back he connected it to his Laptop and all of a sudden the camera stopped capturing pics. Only thing working was the LCD and photo preview. It even stopped to auto-focus.

I had to change the motherboard to get it working at a cost of Rs. 5500.

After a few months, when I connected it to my home laptop (which didn't have anti-virus ), the issue again resurfaced. Again I had to change the motherboard.

I don't know what was the case with your camera, but I'd suggest you to not to connect to any laptop/device without antivirus.

Note: From the day I got it repaired, I can see vertical strips in the photos if I zoom to pics to 100%, not sure if you're also observing the same
Old 13th February 2017, 11:19   #14372
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I want to try out the new 105mm f/1.4
Remember if you have a compact Sensor in the camera then factor in a 'fudge factor' of about 1.5-1.6. So you are beyond the best focal length range. On a full frame 35mm camera, the ideal for portraiture is supposed to be 85mm, so look for something like 50-55mm here.

@manishalive; and pkulkarni; repairing a PCB is never a good idea. Often one or more of the tracks is/are damaged and then the faults tend to become intermittent, the most difficult to track down. Remember it is quite likely to be a multilayer PCB so the inside tracks are not even visible.

Last edited by sgiitk : 13th February 2017 at 11:38.
Old 13th February 2017, 11:47   #14373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@manishalive; and pkulkarni; repairing a PCB is never a good idea. Often one or more of the tracks is/are damaged and then the faults tend to become intermittent, the most difficult to track down. Remember it is quite likely to be a multilayer PCB so the inside tracks are not even visible.

No Sir, as far as I know, the whole motherboard was replaced and not repaired. I don't know if it is possible to even repair it, but the guy from whom I purchased it (the same guy where I gave it for replacement) also told me that it's not possible to repair the motherboard.

I'm still clueless as to why it's giving degraded image quality (I mean the vertical strips) when the motherboard, as a whole unit, is replaced (and which is supposed to be a genuine part).

Thanks!
Old 13th February 2017, 14:00   #14374
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
No Sir, as far as I know, the whole motherboard was replaced and not repaired.

I'm still clueless as to why it's giving degraded image quality (I mean the vertical strips) when the motherboard, as a whole unit, is replaced (and which is supposed to be a genuine part).
Obviously then I expect either some other damage or a bad board. Maybe the unit suffered some other damage, like it was dropped.

A tough one to call, but maybe the PCB has to be swapped with a working camera to ascertain finally.
Old 13th February 2017, 14:17   #14375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remember if you have a compact Sensor in the camera then factor in a 'fudge factor' of about 1.5-1.6. So you are beyond the best focal length range. On a full frame 35mm camera, the ideal for portraiture is supposed to be 85mm, so look for something like 50-55mm here.
It would be crime to use the 105mm f/1.4 with anything other than a full frame camera with good AF, to get the best out of it. IMHO

I don't have it, I am looking to rent it.
Old 13th February 2017, 16:03   #14376
BANNED

Quote:
It would be crime to use the 105mm f/1.4 with anything other than a full frame camera with good AF, to get the best out of it. IMHO
I do not think that a full frame is strictly necessary. You get enough resolution on the compact frame as well. Even in the compact frame you get 20-24MB or so. Remember for an A4 print of excellent quality you only need about 3-4MB. So the rest is overkill. I started with a 4MP CCD job and even that was enough.
Old 13th February 2017, 17:19   #14377
BHPian

Quote:
I do not think that a full frame is strictly necessary. You get enough resolution on the compact frame as well
I think he is talking only about the amazing f/1.4 aperture. On compact sensor, equivalent aperture would be f/2.2. Aperture is pretty much the primary reason to rent/buy any f/1.4 lens.

I'm curious to see if 105mm f/1.4 lens is usable on sunny days. On full frame at 1/2000 sec exposure and ISO 100, I keep getting overexposed pics at merely f/1.8 aperture.
Old 13th February 2017, 20:09   #14378
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
I think he is talking only about the amazing f/1.4 aperture. On compact sensor, equivalent aperture would be f/2.2. Aperture is pretty much the primary reason to rent/buy any f/1.4 lens.

I'm curious to see if 105mm f/1.4 lens is usable on sunny days. On full frame at 1/2000 sec exposure and ISO 100, I keep getting overexposed pics at merely f/1.8 aperture.
The aperture remains what it is. Only the frame is reduced. 104/f1.4 will cost you a bomb, if it exists. Why are you using 100ASA, go up to 400 or so.
Old 13th February 2017, 20:18   #14379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I want to try out the new 105mm f/1.4
I've seen pictures taken by this lens on the Internet as I am sure you have too. The 105 1.4 is considered the budget 200 F/2 which IMO says quite bit about the lens.

If you have the budget buy it. You won't regret it.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th February 2017 at 20:30.
Old 13th February 2017, 21:12   #14380
BHPian

Quote:
Nice shot. What's your budget? There are many lenses...
Great shots.. I'm always a fan of your photos and I've read almost all of your TLs. I've noticed the remarkable improvement in the quality of your photos over the years. Keep going!!

My budget is upto 1 lakh. I've seen a Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 lens going at almost 80k online. Is it worth a buy considering my birding requirements.

I also doubt whether it'll suit my camera since it is not a full frame model. The lens specs shows that it is compatible.

Is there any other lens which you recommend?

Regards
Vivek
Old 13th February 2017, 21:31   #14381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think that a full frame is strictly necessary. You get enough resolution on the compact frame as well. Even in the compact frame you get 20-24MB or so. Remember for an A4 print of excellent quality you only need about 3-4MB. So the rest is overkill. I started with a 4MP CCD job and even that was enough.
Oh well. I do think a full frame - at least a D750 or D810 from the Nikon land - is necessary with that lens, for the kind of shots I have in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

Yes, I am talking about the combination of f/1.4 and 105mm, when used with a full frame camera. I have used the 85mm f/1.4, so know what to expect.

Bump up the ISO, or, shoot when the light is softer. This is assuming you don't want to stop down. I take very few shots when the sun is harsh, unless I really have to.

Quote:
The aperture remains what it is. Only the frame is reduced. 104/f1.4 will cost you a bomb, if it exists. Why are you using 100ASA, go up to 400 or so.
The aperture remains the same, but depth of field and field of view are different when using a crop sensor. Which will affect composition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I've seen pictures taken by this lens on the Internet as I am sure you have too. The 105 1.4 is considered the budget 200 F/2 which IMO says quite bit about the lens.

If you have the budget buy it. You won't regret it.
Yes, I have done some research. It can't really be compared to the 200mm f/2. because that one is far heavier, and gives a different field of view. But in terms of 'droolworthyness' and bokeh quality, I can understand.

I don't want to buy an expensive portrait lens, those Rupees might as well go towards building up my wildlife/nature kit. I am an occasional portrait/people shooter, I do it perhaps once in 3-6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i20ian View Post
Great shots.. I'm always a fan of your photos and I've read almost all of your TLs. I've noticed the remarkable improvement in the quality of your photos over the years. Keep going!!

My budget is upto 1 lakh. I've seen a Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 lens going at almost 80k online. Is it worth a buy considering my birding requirements.

I also doubt whether it'll suit my camera since it is not a full frame model. The lens specs shows that it is compatible.

Is there any other lens which you recommend?

Regards
Vivek
Glad you liked them.

Yes, the Tamron, or the Sigma 150-600mm C should be fine. All are good. The new 100-400mm IS2 is outside your budget (it is a brilliant lens, I have played around with it), and I am not sure how expensive good copies of the old 100-400mm are, and whether that has better optical quality and AF than the 150-600mms. Since I am from the Nikon world, I don't keep careful track.

Edit: all these lenses are compatible with a crop sensor camera. But for serious birding, you will eventually have to move to a body that has better AF.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th February 2017 at 21:37.
Old 13th February 2017, 22:10   #14382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have done some research. It can't really be compared to the 200mm f/2. because that one is far heavier, and gives a different field of view. But in terms of 'droolworthyness' and bokeh quality, I can understand.
When people think of this lens as a budget 200 F2 it's only because of the IQ i.e. rendering, bokeh and sharpness that are very similar albeit not up to the level of the 200 2.0.

Quote:
I don't want to buy an expensive portrait lens, those Rupees might as well go towards building up my wildlife/nature kit. I am an occasional portrait/people shooter, I do it perhaps once in 3-6 months.
What do you have in mind for a nature/wildlife kit? I think you have a 200-500, right? Are you considering a ultra WA/WA too? If yes, check the Sigma 24 1.4 Art. Serious bang for the buck compared to the Nikon version.

Or the Nikon 16-35 F/4 because it takes filters and is cheaper and much easier to handle than the 14-24 2.8.
Old 13th February 2017, 22:19   #14383
BHPian

Hi everyone. Need advice on new camera.
My friend's son is now learning Interior Designing and next year may start studying Architecture.
My friend is gifting him full frame. His budget is 100-150k including lense. It shall be his first SLR. They have POS. I feel D750 is in his budget. He is open for Nikon and Canon. But for Nikon he will get discount.
What body and lens do you suggest?
Old 13th February 2017, 22:40   #14384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Hi everyone. Need advice on new camera.
My friend's son is now learning Interior Designing and next year may start studying Architecture.
My friend is gifting him full frame. His budget is 100-150k including lense. It shall be his first SLR. They have POS. I feel D750 is in his budget. He is open for Nikon and Canon. But for Nikon he will get discount.
What body and lens do you suggest?
I'd suggest go for a crop sensor (APS-C) and invest in a Tokina 11-16mm: a very good third party wide angle that lends itself beautifully in taking shot of buildings and interiors. Most of the bodies would come bundled with a kit lens (18-55mm) and a 55-200mm as freebies. Nikon and Canon, take your pick, I have used only Nikon till now.
Old 14th February 2017, 06:06   #14385
BHPian

Guys I have a 5D Mark 2. I am planning to sell it along with 24-105mm kit lens. What price can I expect keeping in mind that camera has not been used much due to work commitments and is in scratchless condition. Hope to hear soon.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks