Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 18:46   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Looks nifty with it's UI, but it is *terrible* at the moment. They have a very limited PoI database (limited to well known businesses), and are unable to return known results that Google Maps would
Yes, all it shows is that there are a lot of legible signboards. That data can result in a good POI DB if combined with image processing systems like the one Google has.
Old 26th June 2014, 21:27   #287
BHPian

Re: Are Google Maps losing their credibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Unlike first world countries, our road addressing system is highly unscientific.
Many cities in the US will have odd numbered buildings on one side of the street and even numbered buildings on the other. Makes them so much easier to find.

They also number adjacent buildings with gaps of 30 or 40 in the building numbers, so if something comes up in between, the new building gets a number in the middle. No renumbering every few years like India loves to do, "New No. 10, Old No. 33" in the address. I know a chap who's an IAS deputed to the Postal Dept., and he was fascinated with this concept when I explained it to him. This was about 5 years ago, and of course nothing has changed. I know buildings which have been renumbered twice within a few years.
Old 29th June 2014, 19:30   #288
BHPian

With so many gmaps bashers around. did we correct the maps post having the bad experiance. Google realized they did not had good information and had a crowd source event last year called mapathon. unfortunately mapathon had prizes for a number of edits and people just put any marker anywhere nearby (read: not zoming enough to pin point and draw correct boundaries). please goto www.google.com/mapmarker , login with your google account and correct.

the problem for selecting the slip roads over highway is that person who marked the small roads / sliproads forgot to update the type of road. so is a single lane is marked as a 4lane concrete road google will think its worth routing to.

btw, i too had my bad experiances however those are usually last mile routing for which i rely on other GPS called General Public System. mind you sometime its worst than the global positioning system
Old 1st July 2014, 11:38   #289
Senior - BHPian

Looks like MapMyIndia have pulled up their socks and improved their maps. Just back from a short trip in Goa. Had taken a car on rent, and used the MapMyIndia GPS all through the way. Starting from Bogamalo, I could reach the Naval Museum, Dona Paula, Regis Magos Fort and Fort Aguada. ashkamath Team-BHP-ian had suggested a scenic route via the Goa University, and the device was able to plot the route accurately. The device saved our time considerably, as we could just move on quickly rather than taking directions at every road intersection. Especially on our return journey our baby daughter had got visibly upset and had started whining, so reaching back at the base was important. And the device guided us through very accurately.

If maps are getting more and more accurate, I feel devices like MapMyIndia etc. would really catch up. Google Maps may gaining, but I find them very tiresome to use in a small mobile phone. As it is my phone is Samsung Duos whose battery backup is pathetic.
Old 27th December 2015, 13:37   #290
BHPian

I have been using a Garmin from 2013 and from my experience suggests google maps is faaaar better than the Garmin. When I do a cost analysis, The Garmin device costed me approx 18k in 2013 and I guess a decent Samsung tab will cost only 12k now, insert a SIM and we have google maps in our cars. But like Garmin, this device also will be an extra protruded accessory.

Anyone using a dedicated tab/phone in their cars for using google maps? And if so have you found a solution to neatly integrate it to the car?
Old 27th December 2015, 14:51   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Anyone using a dedicated tab/phone in their cars for using google maps? And if so have you found a solution to neatly integrate it to the car?
I have installed Navimaps on my Lenovo A6000+. Tried a few mobile holders but was not satisfied. The main problem of windshield mounted holders is that mobile is exposed to sunlight as well as charging cable snaking around.

So I had to find a solution, a jugaad solution.

I have an Etios Liva known for its spartan interiors. The music player is a humble 1-DIN Pioneer unit. The vacant slot below the unit gave an idea. I also had purchased a silicon cover for the mobile earlier which I was not using.

Last Sunday afternoon got about with the work. Items required was some cardboard, mobile cover, glue & cable ties. Used an old piece of black cloth for covering purpose.

I also purchased a USB charging cable from Amazon.in. The brand is Bluerigger. It's a charging only cable and in its coiled form is only 1.5 feet long, hence is clutter free.

I am not covering the step by step process since the work only involved making a box (matching the dimensions of the vacant slot) and attaching the mobile cover to it with cable ties.

The pics below is self explanatory:-

The mobile cover attached to box using cable ties. Looks ugly for sure. But does the job well. The box is a tight fit with all degrees of freedom well arrested.

Unfortunately this jugaad will be useful for folks having similar vacant slots. Newer cars do have factory fitted music systems in it's place.

Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?-001.jpg  

Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?-002.jpg  

Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?-003.jpg  

Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?-004.jpg  

Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?-005.jpg  

Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?-006.jpg  

Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?-007.jpg  

rajivr1612 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 16:39   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post

I have an Etios Liva known for its spartan interiors. The music player is a humble 1-DIN Pioneer unit. The vacant slot below the unit gave an idea. I also had purchased a silicon cover for the mobile earlier which I was not using.

Last Sunday afternoon got about with the work. Items required was some cardboard, mobile cover, glue & cable ties. Used an old piece of black cloth for covering purpose.

I also purchased a USB charging cable from Amazon.in. The brand is Bluerigger. It's a charging only cable and in its coiled form is only 1.5 feet long, hence is clutter free.

I am not covering the step by step process since the work only involved making a box (matching the dimensions of the vacant slot) and attaching the mobile cover to it with cable ties.

The pics below is self explanatory:-

The mobile cover attached to box using cable ties. Looks ugly for sure. But does the job well. The box is a tight fit with all degrees of freedom well arrested.

Unfortunately this jugaad will be useful for folks having similar vacant slots. Newer cars do have factory fitted music systems in it's place.

Thanks for reading.
This is good, , neatly done and very functional. Thanks for sharing the same.

Mine is a Polo having a double din set, in which there is no vacant slot available. Now since there is off line maps also possible with google maps, its high time that we should find such solutions to get a functional google map in car.

There are android head units, but first of all it will cost 30k min. plus no sim card slot for it, we have to connect via wifi using another mobile.
Old 28th December 2015, 18:02   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting! Curious, though, if the device is where you have positioned it, will it pick up signals from multiple GPS satellites as required? Always wondered about this.
Old 28th December 2015, 18:47   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting! Curious, though, if the device is where you have positioned it, will it pick up signals from multiple GPS satellites as required? Always wondered about this.
Thanks. Yeah, not had any issues so far with GPS lock. Have made multiple trips within Chennai with this setup and found that it works flawlessly.
Old 24th April 2016, 11:13   #295
BHPian

I just bought a mapmyindia device and realized it doesn't have any Bhutan maps. The interface is very difficult to use, and it also doesn't show the entire route. Can I download Bhutan map to my device?
Old 25th April 2016, 10:15   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
I just bought a mapmyindia device and realized it doesn't have any Bhutan maps. The interface is very difficult to use, and it also doesn't show the entire route. Can I download Bhutan map to my device?
As per their web site, they do not seem to have Bhutan maps at all.
http://www.mapmyindia.com/navigator/...rnational-maps
Old 5th July 2016, 14:36   #297
Team-BHP Support

So finally multiple destination feature has made to mobile version of Google; a long wanted feature. Just saw this news piece

http://www.pc-tablet.co.in/google-ma...feature/35260/
Old 28th August 2020, 16:46   #298
Senior - BHPian

Resurrecting an old thread, because this came in my news feed:

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...t-5766301.html

The mentioned Move app is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.mmi.maps
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:04   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Resurrecting an old thread, because this came in my news feed:

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...t-5766301.html

The mentioned Move app is here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=com.mmi.maps
Going to be an uphill battle. But will be interesting to see. They might need some innovative thoughts for traffic predictions and the likes.

It may have been easier to capitalise on the "Aatmnirbhar" sentiment if Google were a Chinese company. The Swadesi card may not work against it.

For sometime now, it has been drilled so hard everywhere that Google, Microsoft etc are all headed by an "Indian" after all!
Old 28th August 2020, 17:43   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The mentioned Move app is here
Have used few months back. The navigation is simply appalling, the POIs too are way behind. Most importantly the level of usage to crowdsource traffic isn't simply there.

MMI was simply napping when Google Maps was making inroads. They've missed the bus by a long way.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks