Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 14:09   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Google Maps making MapMyIndia (and similar products) obsolete?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Google "New Google Maps" I find the new maps a bit more easier to use, has the traffic feature (which doesn't quite add up here in Ahmedabad) and you have a new search box for recent searches, traffic and alternate routes etc.
Yes, selected the new Google maps link and based on the email comments checked out the new Google map feature. As mentioned it is bit more slicker than the old one. However when I tried to open the link in Email from my mobile (Android) it gave a message that the new Google map is only available for desktop version now.

Later I get an update alert for Google map in my mobile also, went ahead with update and now have the latest version of Google map in mobile also. However the shocker is 'My places' where we can save any point of interest and can be used for navigation is missing now. All my highway COCO stations which I had saved over the years is not available in my mobile now.
Old 17th July 2013, 16:15   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
However the shocker is 'My places' where we can save any point of interest and can be used for navigation is missing now. All my highway COCO stations which I had saved over the years is not available in my mobile now.
I read somewhere that Google is working hard to bring My Places back. Let's hope it come sooner.
Old 17th July 2013, 16:27   #183
Senior - BHPian

The Google Maps apk is also available for download from many websites. Got it done last night. Works well so far. But I do miss the "My places" and some other offline caching features which were simpler and there on the older version.
Old 17th July 2013, 16:45   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However the shocker is 'My places' where we can save any point of interest and can be used for navigation is missing now.
Also, it cannot do routing like "A to B, via C". You can use the "Switch back to old Maps temporarily" button to access your My Maps or complex routing (PC only).

Is there a new Maps app for Android? Mine's still 6.14.4 and can't see an upgrade on the Play Store?
Old 17th July 2013, 16:49   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Is there a new Maps app for Android? Mine's still 6.14.4 and can't see an upgrade on the Play Store?
Yes, there is my phone uses JB 4.1.2, the Maps app version is 7.0.1, I got it updated last week (Friday ?)
Old 17th July 2013, 17:03   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, there is my phone uses JB 4.1.2, the Maps app version is 7.0.1, I got it updated last week (Friday ?)
Strange. Mine's running the same JB (4.1.2) but I can't see the update. Probably depends on the phone model too (mine's an S2). Let me check on the Tab2 at home later today.
Old 17th July 2013, 17:06   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strange. Mine's running the same JB (4.1.2) but I can't see the update. Probably depends on the phone model too (mine's an S2). Let me check on the Tab2 at home later today.
Yes, the updates are to an extent depended on model also. Anyways I guess it is not worth spoiling the features by this update. Hope they come up with a fix soon for maps.
Old 17th July 2013, 19:37   #188
Senior - BHPian

Google maps came up with an update for the iOS and I updated my iPhone. The traffic feature is much better and the map is exhaustive. Need to test it on the highway.
Old 17th July 2013, 19:43   #189
BHPian

I miss the following on the latest update of Google-Maps on my android:

1. Pre-Cache map data for off-line viewing (typing 'ok maps' in the search window works, but it is a hack and not organized).

2.'My Maps' not available - This is a major drawback for me. I have plenty of saved places and routes (recorded with MyTracks).

3.Zoom buttons not available - easy to zoom in discrete levels.

4.Scale view not available - irritating now after having used it a lot.
Old 18th July 2013, 10:30   #190
BHPian

Quote:
They have rolled out the update only for 4.03 and above, for the newer versions they will roll out soon. It's not dependent on the model but the android version. Even I'm impatiently waiting, mine is Android 4.2.2
Old 9th August 2013, 09:24   #191
BHPian

I recently bought an MMI device and has been using it for about a month now. I would like to know whether it is possible to install maps provided by others (say Yahoo) on my MMI device?

I can risk losing the guarantee.
Old 12th August 2013, 13:46   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
... I would like to know whether it is possible to install maps provided by others (say Yahoo) on my MMI device? ...
Not technically possible in most cases (incompatible maps). There is a roundabout way, but the effort is not worth it - MMI maps are better than Yahoo and such maps.
Old 20th September 2013, 07:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

Garmin has launched marketing campaign highlighting the benefits of PND.

Last edited by msdivy : 20th September 2013 at 07:04.
Old 20th September 2013, 07:35   #194
Senior - BHPian

Google maps worked flawless on the Nexus 4 device. We put the destination and it gave the verbal instructions on where to take left and right. We intentionally took a deviation and it recalculated the whole route again.
This is something which navigation devices also do. But Google does it free. And with 3G networks spreading, I see it gaining more and more acceptance.

The navigation device makers have lot to worry about.

I mean why I will ever pay for Map updates and bother carrying a physical device.
I will not.
Old 21st September 2013, 09:59   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Garmin has launched marketing campaign highlighting the benefits of PND.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=EtJPF9WZTp4
Point 1 ( phone going out of the car ) - silly, not at all an issue
Point 2 ( alerts becoming a nuisance ) - again not valid especially on today's android phones. It silently handles alerts without popups
Point 3 ( network range ) - it's an issue on certain parts of the country. But, in the last one year, I've never been caught without maps . so Google maps does seem to do the caching intelligently.

In addition, no maps can ever give the kind of detail that a Google maps can especially in rural areas.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks