Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2021, 11:50   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
It is the RBK40 model with AC2200.

I did try this, connected a laptop to both the same ethernet port on the ISP router, as well as to the Orbi directly, and both times get 300Mbps+. So it is definitely something with the Orbi WiFi that is slowing things down drastically.

I tried a scan of WiFi channels and changed the bands to ones that are not currently being used in my area, but still don't think that clogged up bands should account for such a drastic drop in speed, even when sitting right next to the router! Completely confused and have no idea what else to do now!
Your setup is not a problem.

It seems like a device issue, could be defective. On an AC channel, you should get 300+ speeds.

Try to hard reset Orbi to factory defaults and configure only 5GHz on it, same setup.(fingers crossed)
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 12:04   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Your setup is not a problem.

It seems like a device issue, could be defective. On an AC channel, you should get 300+ speeds.

Try to hard reset Orbi to factory defaults and configure only 5GHz on it, same setup.(fingers crossed)
Thanks, have tried this already, both the reset and also using only 5Ghz - din't work. In fact speeds on 5Ghz only dropped to 15 Mbps over WiFi.

Will give it another go. I'm also thinking of downgrading the firmware to a previous release to see if that makes a difference.

Wonder if there is anything else I could do?
Old 29th September 2021, 12:27   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, have tried this already, both the reset and also using only 5Ghz - din't work. In fact speeds on 5Ghz only dropped to 15 Mbps over WiFi.

Will give it another go. I'm also thinking of downgrading the firmware to a previous release to see if that makes a difference.

Wonder if there is anything else I could do?
Have you tried connecting the Orbi to Different LAN ports on the ZTE router? Some of the LAN ports can be fast ethernet and some maybe gigabit. Atleast on my Genesis router with I got with BSNL Fiber connection, there are 2 LAN ports, one fast and other gigabit and marked as FE and GE.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 29th September 2021 at 12:40.
Old 29th September 2021, 13:09   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Have you tried connecting the Orbi to Different LAN ports on the ZTE router? Some of the LAN ports can be fast ethernet and some maybe gigabit. Atleast on my Genesis router with I got with BSNL Fiber connection, there are 2 LAN ports, one fast and other gigabit and marked as FE and GE.
Good idea, but when I connected my laptop to the same LAN port on the ZTE router it showed a 1Gbps connection and speedtest ran super fast. When Orbi is connected via Ethernet to the same port on ZTE, and then I use another Ethernet port on Orbi to connect my laptop, I get full speed on speedtest again. So it must be an issue with WiFi is my guess?

Spoke to Netgear this morning, I am still in Warranty, so hoping for a replacement, lets see. The guy on the phone said it should be possible.

Anyone else had good experiences with Netgear India support?
Old 29th September 2021, 13:13   #1040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good idea, but when I connected my laptop to the same LAN port on the ZTE router it showed a 1Gbps connection and speedtest ran super fast. When Orbi is connected via Ethernet to the same port on ZTE, and then I use another Ethernet port on Orbi to connect my laptop, I get full speed on speedtest again. So it must be an issue with WiFi is my guess?
If you are getting good speeds from the same Ethernet port on your laptop then I guess the fault should be in the Orbi. Have you tried doing a factory reset on the Orbi? Might be worth a try
Old 4th November 2021, 07:29   #1041
Senior - BHPian

I have ACT fiber Broadband. Currently on a 300 mbps plan @1200 pm. (Have taken a LT plan).
Yesterday got an email that they are offering a bump in speed for November, which can be enabled through their app. Clicked on the banner and got a confirmation that I can enjoy 500 Mbps speed for free in November. Tried re-starting my modem, but on speedtest or cloudflare wifi 5ghz, the speed still shows below 300.
Good initiative from them though.

EDIT: This was just for information. Am not looking for solutions (Eg: Be close to the modem and test, try on LAN etc)

Last edited by hrman : 4th November 2021 at 07:32.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 18:17   #1042
BHPian

Hello Folks,

I have a question regarding the internet speeds. I am from Chennai and my ISP ACT Fibernet with a speed plan of 150 MBPS. I get the promised speed on 5 GHZ and wired connection. But my 2.4Ghz returns only 40 to 50 Mbps. Shouldn't I be getting atleast a minimum of 80 to 90 Mbps on 2.4GHz. I do understand that the 2.4 GHZ band will have a lot of interference as its the common band for other equipment's like baby monitors.

I am getting range issues at my place where I dont get good 5Ghz signal far away from the router. Is my ISP intentionally throttling the 2.4 GHz and taking me for a ride? Request the tech gurus in this forum to throw some light. Thank you.
Old 30th May 2023, 19:01   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala02 View Post
Hello Folks,

I have a question regarding the internet speeds. I am from Chennai and my ISP ACT Fibernet with a speed plan of 150 MBPS. I get the promised speed on 5 GHZ and wired connection. But my 2.4Ghz returns only 40 to 50 Mbps. Shouldn't I be getting atleast a minimum of 80 to 90 Mbps on 2.4GHz. I do understand that the 2.4 GHZ band will have a lot of interference as its the common band for other equipment's like baby monitors.

I am getting range issues at my place where I dont get good 5Ghz signal far away from the router. Is my ISP intentionally throttling the 2.4 GHz and taking me for a ride? Request the tech gurus in this forum to throw some light. Thank you.
Most routers have a lower speed for 2.4GHz compared to 5GHz. theres so much more data you can send at higher frequencies. Check out the product description of a popular TP-Link Router:

How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-router.jpg

If range is an issue for 5GHz, you can try a dual band range extender.
Old 30th May 2023, 20:12   #1044
BHPian

Using Jiofiber (Prepaid) with 150 Mbps plan recharge

Getting ~105 Mbps downloads & ~75 Mbps upload.
Best part is I can choose my speeds at the time of recharge.

They do send SMS updates for downtime, neat feature.
Old 31st May 2023, 18:58   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
Most routers have a lower speed for 2.4GHz compared to 5GHz. theres so much more data you can send at higher frequencies. Check out the product description of a popular TP-Link Router:

Attachment 2457313

If range is an issue for 5GHz, you can try a dual band range extender.
Thank you for your suggestion. The Router I have is archer C5 which has the same upper speed limits as mentioned in the image. I do get the full speed of 150 Mbps when I am in proximity to the router via 5ghz. What I am curious to know is the speed in 2.4ghz band in specific. Though my router supports speeds upto 300 Mbps under 2.4 ghz I get only 40 to 50 mbps. I thought I will pick the brains of fellow Bhpians to know what speed they get under 2.4ghz band
Old 2nd June 2023, 02:42   #1046
BHPian

Wifi 6 AX routers are pretty cheap these days and they will offer min 1.2MBPS link speed over 5GHZ for compatible devices. No point buying AC routers especially when someone is having a high bandwidth connection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks