Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2021, 11:16   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Currently using a 200 Mbps You Broadband connection. The Jio connection will be pretty much the same speed and price.
Jio wont be any better as compared to You Broadband.

Quote:
Do you get the streaming service subscriptions with Broadband only or do you have to get the set top box too ?
Most services can be used without set top box. E.g.:

https://www.jio.com/en-in/faq/jiofib...ligible.html#/

Quote:
Use the same credentials to log-in on to Amazon Prime Video on the JioFiber Set Top Box to enjoy watching the latest content.
Quote:
The upload speed used to be capped at 10% of download
That used to be the case, now it is symmetrical.

Quote:
speed varies a lot throughout the month
This is an issue with Jio in general. Jio has optimized overall operation (Bandwidth purchase, routing infra, call centers, on-field tech) for cost. Sometimes this would mean lower quality.

Jio does have a "Trial" offer. You can get a connection for free and decide.
Old 15th June 2021, 09:08   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Jio Fibre is being installed in the lane and society. Is it worth taking ? I'm talking of broadband only no set top box or phone connection.
Currently using a 200 Mbps You Broadband connection. The Jio connection will be pretty much the same speed and price.
Do you get the streaming service subscriptions with Broadband only or do you have to get the set top box too ?
Also how is the connection in general ? The upload speed used to be capped at 10% of download which is garbage however a recent flyer claims its symmetrical now. My uncle has a connection since over a year and says that the speed varies a lot throughout the month and mysteriously becomes excellent around the time of renewal.
So I'm looking for feedback from other Mumbai users before making the switch
Hi, Iam from Hyderabad.
I have been using Jio fiber from last 2 years. No issues whatsoever.
Earlier I was with Airtel as well as ACT. Both troubled me in terms of speed/outages very frequently.
There were no installation charges or caution deposit as we have taken for entire gated community. Modem, STB and landline device were provided free of cost. After few months, they have upgraded the plans, so they upgraded the modem suitable for higher speeds, again at no charge.
Can access all the OTT content and there is no limit for data.
My brother in law took a new connection recently. He was charged 1500 per connection(500 is caution deposit, which will be refunded in case of cancellation)(Only modem, No STB/landline device). 1000 Rs extra for STB. All this is because of a single connection.

Now coming to the speed and plan, I am in 150 MBPS(999 plan) and they provide what they promise even during peak hours. And the upload as well as download speeds remain symmetrical and consistent.
Hope I have answered all your questions.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 11:11   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Provider : Airtel Xstreme fiber
Plan : 200mbps, Rs 999/- +tax
FUP: 3.3TB
Got 1GBps speeds due to some glitch at backend, couldn't be happier
I'm hoping to have Airtel Xtream Fiber installed today, going for the 300Mbps plan. Any review on the standard router they provide? I have my own Netgear Orbi mesh system so hoping to use that instead but wondering what Airtel's hardware is like?
Old 28th September 2021, 11:52   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I'm hoping to have Airtel Xtream Fiber installed today, going for the 300Mbps plan. Any review on the standard router they provide? I have my own Netgear Orbi mesh system so hoping to use that instead but wondering what Airtel's hardware is like?
I got mine upgraded (How much do you pay for your broadband?)from copper last month here in Bangalore and I was provided with Nokia G2425G-A device. No complaints, though I don't use its Wifi/router functions - just the ONT and the VOIP for the PSTN phone. For internet, I use my ASUS router and the Nokia is in bridge mode.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 15:36   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, as @Bejoy mentioned, they provide with Nokia 2425G-A with 2x2 MU-MIMO AC ONT. A very capable NOKIA Wifi router with good signal strength. Can cover up to a 2000sqft apartment if you can find a central point to get your wiring done for it and place it at 6ft height.

An alternative is that you subscribe to their Fiber plus Mesh 12 months plan (300Mbps) and you will get Linksys Velop Mesh device included in the plan(3 Triband Mesh devices). Costs 2.5K per month but Device cost (40k in the market) is included in the annual subscription(25K). The difference as compared to the 300mbps plan is small considering that you get the Mesh devices along with it.

Do check out the details with the sales guy before you subscribe.

Last edited by dadu : 28th September 2021 at 15:37.
Old 28th September 2021, 17:18   #1026
BHPian

Quote:
Any review on the standard router they provide? I have my own Netgear Orbi mesh system so hoping to use that instead but wondering what Airtel's hardware is like?
The Nokia G-2425G-A ONT that they provide nowadays isn't any good. It's settings are locked. You cannot change settings like Wifi channels, DNS etc. I would recommend the Huawei HG8145V5 ONT.
That is indeed better than the Nokia but since you intend to use the ONT in bridge mode with Netgear Orbi, the Nokia would suffice too since everything will be handled by your Netgear router.
But to put the Nokia in bridge mode you would have to contact the Airtel Technician but in case of Huawei you would be able to do it yourself.
Old 28th September 2021, 17:57   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
No complaints, though I don't use its Wifi/router functions - just the ONT and the VOIP for the PSTN phone. For internet, I use my ASUS router and the Nokia is in bridge mode.
Quote:
Well, as @Bejoy mentioned, they provide with Nokia 2425G-A with 2x2 MU-MIMO AC ONT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAxe View Post
But to put the Nokia in bridge mode you would have to contact the Airtel Technician but in case of Huawei you would be able to do it yourself.
Thanks for all your responses. So I did not receive either Nokia or Huawei, but a ZTE ZXHN F670L, Airtel branded router. I can access the router settings page no problem. What do I need to do to just use it for internet and connect my own mesh system? I guess, disable the Wi-Fi and connect it via LAN to my Orbi main node? Anything else?

Thanks.

Last edited by s4ch : 28th September 2021 at 18:01. Reason: updated router model no.
Old 28th September 2021, 19:01   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses. So I did not receive either Nokia or Huawei, but a ZTE ZXHN F670L, Airtel branded router. I can access the router settings page no problem. What do I need to do to just use it for internet and connect my own mesh system? I guess, disable the Wi-Fi and connect it via LAN to my Orbi main node? Anything else?

Thanks.
Yes, you can disable both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz Wifi and connect your Orbi to the LAN port.

Enable and connect to the Wifi through your Orbi, that should be it.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 19:47   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, you can disable both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz Wifi and connect your Orbi to the LAN port.

Enable and connect to the Wifi through your Orbi, that should be it.
Thanks. Having an issue with this though. When I connect directly to Airtel's router using WiFi, I get my plan speeds of 300Mbps, however when I disable WiFi on there and set up using my Netgear Orbi mesh system, my speed drops to 60Mbps. Anyone know what could be the problem?

I have raised a request for the Airtel router to be provisioned in bridge mode so that routing will be done by Orbi, but at the moment Orbi is running just as a wireless access point for the router. That couldn't cause it to slow down that much could it, as it is still connected via gigabit lan?

Confused!
Old 28th September 2021, 20:07   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when I disable WiFi on there and set up using my Netgear Orbi mesh system, my speed drops to 60Mbps.
How does Orbi connect to Airtel's router , via Ethernet ?

If it does, do you get full speed near the unit that is connected to Airtel's router ?
Old 28th September 2021, 20:43   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Having an issue with this though. When I connect directly to Airtel's router using WiFi, I get my plan speeds of 300Mbps, however when I disable WiFi on there and set up using my Netgear Orbi mesh system, my speed drops to 60Mbps. Anyone know what could be the problem?

Confused!
Its not a problem related to bridging. Your Orbi is connecting through 802.11N which is usually very crowded. Disable your 2.4 GHz radio on Orbi and then check.

If you do not have old wifi clients keep it disabled so that all are connected through 5 Ghz. Coverage will be taken care as its a Mesh.
Old 28th September 2021, 22:38   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How does Orbi connect to Airtel's router , via Ethernet ?

If it does, do you get full speed near the unit that is connected to Airtel's router ?
Orbi is connected via Ethernet to Airtel's router.

Quote:
Its not a problem related to bridging. Your Orbi is connecting through 802.11N which is usually very crowded. Disable your 2.4 GHz radio on Orbi and then check.

If you do not have old wifi clients keep it disabled so that all are connected through 5 Ghz. Coverage will be taken care as its a Mesh.
I tried this, with everything running on 5Ghz I did not see any improvement in speed, still only 50Mbps. Yet when I connect back to the WiFi on Airtel's router I get 300Mbps+ again.

They have promised to remotely configure my router in bridge mode (will take a day or 2) so I will do all the routing on Orbi, but still am not able to work out what is going on as I dont think that will make such a big difference in speed?
Old 29th September 2021, 10:22   #1033
BHPian

I do have a similar setup with Nokia aa a router and orbi as the mesh system. Earlier when I had alcatel-lucent modem (only), I user to get good speeds over the orbi network but once airtel switched me to nokia (router and modem), speeds as well as connectivity has went down. I tried switching channels as well but that didn't yield much. Looking forward to a solution myself.
Old 29th September 2021, 11:24   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Orbi is connected via Ethernet to Airtel's router.

I tried this, with everything running on 5Ghz I did not see any improvement in speed, still only 50Mbps. Yet when I connect back to the WiFi on Airtel's router I get 300Mbps+ again.

They have promised to remotely configure my router in bridge mode (will take a day or 2) so I will do all the routing on Orbi, but still am not able to work out what is going on as I dont think that will make such a big difference in speed?
I believe you are talking about the RBK13 AC1200 model of Orbi, do two things to check:

- Connect a LAN cable to the Ethernet port and check with a direct connection on your laptop. What is the speed?
- If it's another model check the Ethernet port conf, is it 100 or 1000mbps ?
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 11:32   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
I believe you are talking about the RBK13 AC1200 model of Orbi, do two things to check:

- Connect a LAN cable to the Ethernet port and check with a direct connection on your laptop. What is the speed?
- If it's another model check the Ethernet port conf, is it 100 or 1000mbps ?
It is the RBK40 model with AC2200.

I did try this, connected a laptop to both the same ethernet port on the ISP router, as well as to the Orbi directly, and both times get 300Mbps+. So it is definitely something with the Orbi WiFi that is slowing things down drastically.

I tried a scan of WiFi channels and changed the bands to ones that are not currently being used in my area, but still don't think that clogged up bands should account for such a drastic drop in speed, even when sitting right next to the router! Completely confused and have no idea what else to do now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks