Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2021, 15:11   #1246
BHPian

Does Airtel Fibre work in South Bangalore?

I don't want their poor 20mbps connection, which is given by default!

Also , what do the speeds show on office VPN connection?
My YOU Broadband connection literally crawls on VPN & makes browsing a pathetic experience.

Any other speedy ISP providers in Southern Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I have been using this on repeater mode, get decent speeds, sometimes 100 mb+ as well on 5ghz. You can try this.

ASUS RT-AC53
Sorry for a rookie query.

How do I use this when I already have a router cum modem for my broadband?

How to enable the repeater mode option on this Asus device?

Cheers,
Ram

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2021 at 16:49. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when replying to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 30th April 2021, 15:23   #1247
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Sorry for a rookie query.

How do I use this when I already have a router cum modem for my broadband?

How to enable the repeater mode option on this Asus device?

Cheers,
Ram
Hey Ram,

The router already has a repeater mode. You go into the router settings and choose repeater mode, it will then connect to your current router. You can then either name the new SSID same as the new one, or create a new one. I personally create another SSID and then connect the devices closer to this router to the new SSID.

This video should give you an idea.

Hope this helps.
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 11:34   #1248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985Darkkid85 View Post
Also , what do the speeds show on office VPN connection?
My YOU Broadband connection literally crawls on VPN & makes browsing a pathetic experience.
Seems all the internet traffic is going through the VPN tunnel. If you ask google "What is my IP", it will show your public IP. Check your public IP before and after connecting the VPN. After connecting your office VPN, if google shows your office public IP, then all the traffic is going through your VPN. You can change the windows networking conifugrations to make only the traffic to your office goes through (eg 10.0.0.0/8) VPN tunnel and rest of them go directly to the internet. Refer to this link for more details.
https://superuser.com/questions/1202...nation-network
Old 2nd May 2021, 22:12   #1249
BHPian

I wanted to enquire if Jio Gigafibre is available everywhere? I know for a fact that its there in Ramamurthynagar in Bangalore since one of my colleagues uses it. But south Bangalore they don't have any presence. My take is that the local cable and internet vendors might create trouble for Jio, but again considering Reliance's size this shouldn't be an issue. Hence wanted to check if any of you have Jio Gigafibre connection in Bangalore
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 10:38   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post
My take is that the local cable and internet vendors might create trouble for Jio, but again considering Reliance's size this shouldn't be an issue. Hence wanted to check if any of you have Jio Gigafibre connection in Bangalore
I tried for the same in JP Nagar, BUT they kept saying they are doing feasibility study. Finally, I went in with AirTel. There might be some resistance from existing providers as you say. I would have preferred 'Jio' as it was prepaid service.
Old 4th May 2021, 11:47   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetancm7 View Post
Hence wanted to check if any of you have Jio Gigafibre connection in Bangalore
They've started service in my apartment, from about 6-8 months back. This is off OA Road, behind the airport, towards Marathahalli end of the airport.
Old 13th May 2021, 16:23   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhppower View Post
Tataasky broadband guys approached our residential complex for their service. They are offering FTTH internet.
No response to my query, so assuming no one using TataSky broadband.

TataSky did complete installation for building and individual customers in 3 days. The installation and account activation experience was good.

I have opted for a 150mbps plan for 3 months as a trial. So far it's working well. Get around 150 Mbps for upload and download even on VPN.

Will review again post 3 months.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th May 2021 at 16:50. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 15th May 2021, 10:18   #1253
Senior - BHPian

I got my broadband provider changed from Hathway to ACT in Bangalore-South.
My association with Hathway was over 1.5 years. The last plan I took was for one year, which was expiring this month. I was on a 150 mbps upload and 75 mbps download plan.
At times, I realised on office calls, the network would be particularly slow and will not load videos or used to lag. Was living with this until a month back, when ACT announced a reasonably priced 300 mbps plan with 3300 GB FUP data.
Took the plunge and got it installed. The speeds are not 300 mbps, but consistently over 200 mbps. Cost is 1198 incl tax per month (pay for 6 months, get 1 month free). The installation process was pretty smooth. All documents filling, submission, payments were made online. Their technicians came over with adequate precautions, took half an hour to install the connection. It was activated in a couple of hours.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:06   #1254
BHPian

I have a 200 mbps plan with BSNL FTTH but the modem they gave only supports 100 mbps. They asking me to buy modem on my own. One should that be the case? Second I don't see it available online. I want one with 4 ports and no wifi
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:19   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
I have a 200 mbps plan with BSNL FTTH but the modem they gave only supports 100 mbps. They asking me to buy modem on my own. One should that be the case? Second I don't see it available online. I want one with 4 ports and no wifi
I doubt if there are consumer modems available in the market that come without Wifi hardware. Your best shot is to buy a normal one and disable Wifi functionality in software.

And yes, BSNL has been asking customers to buy the modem themselves for years. In fact the other ISPs also do it based on prevalent business conditions. In any case the default modem supplied by ISPs are often low-spec, functionally crippled and come with pre-configured backdoor access that it is prudent to use your own rather than continuing with them.
Old 22nd May 2021, 13:40   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
They do provide a low spec modem (100 mbps) on rental but not all MSOs. Better to buy from local electronics market as you will soon recover upfront purchase cost by saving on the modem rental fee (Rs 90 + gst). Even I was not aware on how to procure the modem. BSNL guys themselves gave me the name and the location of the shop. Local markets sell cheap chinese knock-off XPONs based on Huawei firmware. You can get 1 gbps modem (without router or wifi) for 1200 Rs. or with router and wifi for 2400 Rs. I just needed modem and I have ubiquiti unifi line of router, switches and access points. My suggestion would be to use these XPONs only as a modem, have a good quality router and wifi access point. Lastly, they (your BSNL MSO installer) will have to configure it as settings for PPPOE, VOIP etc are not straightforward.

Looks like you are from HYD, so you can visit Lalit electronics in Gujarati Galli, Koti. That is where I got my modem from. You can look them up in google maps. Or maybe you can even try CTC in parklane, Secunderabad.

Last edited by Comrade : 22nd May 2021 at 13:43. Reason: Hyd address
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 23:13   #1257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
They do provide a low spec modem (100 mbps) on rental but not all MSOs. Better to buy from local electronics market as you will soon recover upfront purchase cost by saving on the modem rental fee (Rs 90 + gst). Even I was not aware on how to procure the modem. BSNL guys themselves gave me the name and the location of the shop. Local markets sell cheap chinese knock-off XPONs based on Huawei firmware. You can get 1 gbps modem (without router or wifi) for 1200 Rs. or with router and wifi for 2400 Rs. I just needed modem and I have ubiquiti unifi line of router, switches and access points. My suggestion would be to use these XPONs only as a modem, have a good quality router and wifi access point. Lastly, they (your BSNL MSO installer) will have to configure it as settings for PPPOE, VOIP etc are not straightforward.

Looks like you are from HYD, so you can visit Lalit electronics in Gujarati Galli, Koti. That is where I got my modem from. You can look them up in google maps. Or maybe you can even try CTC in parklane, Secunderabad.

Wow you addressed the issue right with solution... I had BSNL get me one for trial and speed bumped up while connecting thru wire to my laptop. Surprising my speeds were same while using AP. After lot of experiments and asking people , I had no solution for this bottle neck. I then realised wired connecting modem and AP was CAT 5 which was bottle next. Changing the wire did the trick. I'm now getting 200+ mbps.
Old 24th May 2021, 19:03   #1258
BHPian

Provider: Excitel
Plan: 200 Mbps unlimited
Rate: 529per month when paid for 12 months together.
Attached Thumbnails
How much do you pay for your broadband?-img_20210524_185527.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:14   #1259
BHPian

Late to the party, but finally converted my Airtel copper ADSL line to fiber. Though it was available in our area almost 2 years before, I waited so that they come up with proper basement cabling in my apartment and routing the fiber through the existing concealed ducts inside home. They were kind of reluctant to do it when I checked last year as it was in demand.

But now they are proactively working to convert all copper lines to fiber. Conversion was done with a bit of effort for routing the cable, but then the provisioning was seamless. The existing phone works too with the same number. It was worth the wait. Even with online classes for 2 kids and both of us working, it is not hitting the limits (the copper 40MBps was fine too). The main bonus I see over copper is the low latency and the upload speed matching the download. Hope the bulletproof reliability stays!

Retaining the plan for Rs. 499 (40MBps U/L, I get 50MBps actually) for some more time, as I don't feel the need to upgrade. Have already paid the "Airtel Tax" for last 15 years, so let me reap some "interest benefit"

Modem is Nokia G2425G-A in bridge mode with my Asus RT-N66U.
bejoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 10:43   #1260
BHPian

Our Internet service provider is ACT Broadband for the last three years.
It has been a pleasant experience with minimal disruptions with exemplary service, commendable ethics.

They have been able to provide the agreed data speeds as per the chosen plan. We get consistent speeds of 300 Mbps for upload and download throughout the day.

Pairing this with an ASUS router AC-59U has helped us scathe through the pandemic period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks