Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2020, 20:36   #1126
BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
300Gb is not sufficient these days imho. With Ps4 gaming, netflix, prime, hotstar on three tvs, we cross 500Gb each month without any downloads. Atleast this is my scenario for a family of 5 with two teen kids.
Go for the Airtel 299/- top up.
It will give you around 3TB data a month at the same speed.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 14:45   #1127
BHPian

Hey Guys:
Require some help. I am based in A'Bad and use YOU broadband. I have the 50MBPS unlimited plan for Rs 7800/- In addition, i have paid for static IP Rs 3000/-.

My problem is that the broadband switches off every 8 hours or so. It automatically comes on after 3 minutes or so. But it is troublesome, particularly when you are doing financial transactions or when on a video due to WFH.

I took up the issue with YOU, and they gave me a reply as under:

As an ISP, we have default parameters in PPPoE in which session will be reconnect every 8 hours after session initiated.

As per default set of configuration in router, session will reconnect within a second.

This wasn't happening before. So why now? Are they within their rights to disconnect every 8 hours? What about if you are trading and lose money?

Would appreciate if someone can explain the issue as well as our legal rights. secondly, is static IP necessary? I had taken it for my security system remote viewing.

Last edited by earthian : 29th June 2020 at 14:47.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 15:56   #1128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Hey Guys:
Require some help. I am based in A'Bad and use YOU broadband. I have the 50MBPS unlimited plan for Rs 7800/- In addition, i have paid for static IP Rs 3000/-.
Does it switch off and on 8 hours after your connection is alive(modem turned on) or as a scheduled 8 hour period on the ISP side?

Mod Note - Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!

Last edited by Sheel : 30th June 2020 at 08:40. Reason: Mod note attached.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 17:26   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys:

My problem is that the broadband switches off every 8 hours or so. It automatically comes on after 3 minutes or so. But it is troublesome, particularly when you are doing financial transactions or when on a video due to WFH.
I am facing the same issue in Pune. I need to check if the frequency is every 8 hours. At least, then I can plan my meetings accordingly.
Old 29th June 2020, 20:01   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
YOU broadband. I have the 50MBPS unlimited plan for Rs 7800/- ...
Quote:
My problem is that the broadband switches off every 8 hours or so. It automatically comes on after 3 minutes or so... "As an ISP, we have default parameters in PPPoE in which session will be reconnect every 8 hours after session initiated."
Quote:
Are they within their rights to disconnect every 8 hours? What about if you are trading and lose money?
This seems as though they have configured their equipment to forcefully disconnect after every 8 hours of connection. That sort of configuration might have been good back in the nineties or so, but in 2020 it is a horrible thing to do. There are no regulatory requirement to do so. I don't think there is any law that prohibits them from doing this either. I wouldn't continue with such an ISP if they were doing it to me. I am not trading or anything, but such a blip while I'm watching something on Netflix is reason enough to piss me off.

Quote:
secondly, is static IP necessary? I had taken it for my security system remote viewing.
There are some use-cases that might require static IP. Maybe you have one. Personally, I run OpenVPN on my home server and use the Dynamic DNS service offered by ZoneEdit. I can access all resources within my home when I'm not at home - like printer/scanner etc. (and as a bonus, all IP-based geolocation services are bested).

Last edited by binand : 29th June 2020 at 20:22. Reason: Spacing fix
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2020, 20:20   #1131
Senior - BHPian

Airtel broadband is resorting to cheating now. I make the payment but they pretend not to have received it. App will show outstanding, and they make numerous calls, sent text etc to harass. Happened two months back, and they forced me to pay twice saying they will resolve the issue the next day and give a refund, or adjust it against future bills. They took almost 40 days to do that. Now, this month again I made the payment but their system has not recognized it and are threatening disconnection. Using the same ploy. I've produced the bank statement where payment is made and asked them to go ahead and cut my connection. I have Jio as back up. By the way, I pay Airtel Rs. 1,178 for Broadband.

Last edited by Sebring : 29th June 2020 at 20:21.
Old 29th June 2020, 23:26   #1132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Airtel broadband is resorting to cheating now. I make the payment but they pretend not to have received it.
How do you initiate the payment, is it from the Airtel app?
Old 30th June 2020, 02:09   #1133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vDragon3 View Post
I am looking to switch service provider from Hathway to any other. Any recommendations for OMR chennai.
Just curious why you want switch away from Hathway? Any specific reasons, because I have been using their 6 months plan (INR 5700 for 1200 GB/month at 150Mbps) for the past 2 months and the speed is very good without any downtime till now (touchwood).
Old 30th June 2020, 02:50   #1134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Just curious why you want switch away from Hathway?
this is not addressed to me but will provide my example. i am on hathway and was on their 150Mbps plan with 1200Gb by was paying 943 all inclusive. Two weeks back i had a downtime of 2.5 days. They didnt know which lineman to assign my ticket to for my area. Once that was determined and he came, it was a 5 min job to fix a cable cut. But those 2.5 days messed up my work schedules for that week. I applied for an airtel connection now as a fall back. I have since upgraded to their 200Mbps plan and hope i dont get such downtime again. This happens every 6 months or so and i am partly to be blamed for not storing the lineman's number from my previous downtime. Given a chance i would drop Hathaway but airtel is only giving me 24Mbps with copper, as they do not have fiber in my street. I have a jio pole just outside my gate but they are pricey compared to Hathaway and airtel for the amount of data we use (1.1Tb last month).
Old 30th June 2020, 08:38   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Just curious why you want switch away from Hathway? Any specific reasons
I didn’t have much issues with hathway other than the speed which is max 60mbps. Just wanted to know if Airtel or any other service provider is more reliable when multiple devices are connected during WFH situation.
Old 30th June 2020, 09:48   #1136
Senior - BHPian

Yes I use the app to pay with my card
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
How do you initiate the payment, is it from the Airtel app?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:07   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Does it switch off and on 8 hours after your connection is alive(modem turned on) or as a scheduled 8 hour period on the ISP side?
I think it is after my connection is live-since the service provider adds:

"if you are getting interrupt during the working hours, you may reboot the router at 9Am."

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand
This seems as though they have configured their equipment to forcefully disconnect after every 8 hours of connection. That sort of configuration might have been good back in the nineties or so, but in 2020 it is a horrible thing to do.
Yes, that's what they have done. If they have offered 'unlimited' plan, how can they do that? Secondly , are they legally allowed to do this? There is a regulator-must check on this.

Last edited by earthian : 30th June 2020 at 12:15.
Old 30th June 2020, 12:16   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Yes I use the app to pay with my card
Your post reminded me that my Airtel broadband bill is due! Logged in through Airtel website and made the payment and it's reflected immediately. For peace of mind, cross-checked at Airtel Thanks app transaction history.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 12:26   #1139
Senior - BHPian

I'm pressing for disconnection. They don't deserve customers who make prompt payments. In fact, I must have paid twice on past occasions but have had no time to check
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
Your post reminded me that my Airtel broadband bill is due! Logged in through Airtel website and made the payment and it's reflected immediately. For peace of mind, cross-checked at Airtel Thanks app transaction history.
Old 30th June 2020, 13:36   #1140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This seems as though they have configured their equipment to forcefully disconnect after every 8 hours of connection.
Quote:
Secondly , are they legally allowed to do this? There is a regulator-must check on this.
I had sent them a mail, stating whether they had mentioned such mandatory disconnection in the contract between me (customer) and they (service provider) and if not who is liable if the customer loses (anything) due to their arbitrary decision. The customer services representative tried to explain that it was "for a few seconds only", but was unable to answer my queries.

Any point flagging this with the Regulator?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks