Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 19:32   #1261
BHPian

Good speed, high data limit coonection for a month

Hello All,

I will be in India for 4 weeks and would be working from home.

Was planning to spend it at Kolhapur where I would need good internet connection with good bandwidth, data limit. I will use it only for a month.

My friend is lending me his jio wifi hotspot but I am skeptical with speed.

Any advices are highly solicited.
Old 3rd October 2021, 21:04   #1262
BHPian

Re: Good speed, high data limit coonection for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Hello All,

Was planning to spend it at Kolhapur where I would need good internet connection with good bandwidth, data limit. I will use it only for a month.

Jio hotspot speed varies by location and time of the day. In less crowded areas you can get 40 to 50Mbps while in most areas it might be real slow or not work at all. You can check Airtel and Vi as well and then use whichever one has good speeds in your area. Otherwise get a wired broadband connection. Since you will be working from home that would be the best.
Old 4th October 2021, 09:35   #1263
BHPian

Re: Good speed, high data limit coonection for a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
Hello All,
Assuming your friend is in the locality you would be doing WFH, just ask your friend to try a b/w test via sppedtest/fast.com ?
Old 25th November 2021, 21:04   #1264
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Recently got BSNL fiber network installed. The franchisee has provided Alphion ASEE 1433. Connected to cable the speed is 100+ mbps+ but Wifi was around 30+ mbps. The installation guy told it is "normal" not to get 100+ mbps speed. From the past few days the WiFi speed goes down to 0.5 mbps. When the franchisee is contacted they suggest switching off/on the modem. Most of the times it works and speed goes upto 80+ mbps on WiFi. When it does not work they reset it from their side to be back to normal.

This is becoming a daily affair. Before complaining to BSNL, want to know if this is issue with cabling / modem / WiFi reception. Anyone faced this sort of issue?
Old 14th December 2021, 20:51   #1265
Team-BHP Support

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Guys, how has your experience been managing Airtel's lousy router.

When Airtel upgraded my copper connection to fibre, they gave the utterly pathetic Nokia router. While it worked well as long as you were within 20-30 ft visual distance, it performed very poorly the moment you were out of sight. After a LOT of escalations and three attempts at resolution, they finally changed the modem to what they claimed was better. But it isn't.

What's worse, my LAN connection stopped working. I had earlier bought a 100ft Cat6 LAN cable and connected it from the router to my work desk. With the new modem, it wouldn't work. After a lot of diagnosis, we thought we'd cut it into smaller lengths (since I needed just 40ft) and lo behold, it worked!

This leads me to believe Airtel is throttling down; I don't know if it's even possible but that's the only explanation.

Reading up led me to this:

https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...534-2021-08-24

Have you managed to change the settings on these routers to what are optimum. What are those settings / solutions?

I know most people here have a Mesh/dual router setup but have you managed to remove the Airtel router entirely?
Old 14th December 2021, 21:02   #1266
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Recently got BSNL fiber network installed. The franchisee has provided Alphion ASEE 1433. Connected to cable the speed is 100+ mbps+ but Wifi was around 30+ mbps. The installation guy told it is "normal" not to get 100+ mbps speed. From the past few days the WiFi speed goes down to 0.5 mbps. When the franchisee is contacted they suggest switching off/on the modem. Most of the times it works and speed goes upto 80+ mbps on WiFi. When it does not work they reset it from their side to be back to normal.

This is becoming a daily affair. Before complaining to BSNL, want to know if this is issue with cabling / modem / WiFi reception. Anyone faced this sort of issue?
I recently got BSNL Fiber installed with the Alphion device and faced some poor reception issues with Wifi.
Installed Tp link AC 1200 router installed and it is working pretty okay.
ashokrajagopal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 21:59   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Have you managed to change the settings on these routers to what are optimum. What are those settings / solutions?
I have the same Nokia. Here is what I have done.

1. I have disabled its in-built Wifi and DHCP.
2. Of its 4 ethernet ports, I run cables to my 3 home devices (one slot is free). These are 2x Netgear Wifi APs (R7000 & R6120) and my home server.
3. DHCP & DNS are offered by the home server which allows me a fair bit of control.
4. In the Nokia I have customisations in Application > Port Forwarding and Security > IP Filter.

When I was on 100 Mbps the setup was different (they had provisioned separate ONT and modem); then I could use their equipment in bridge mode and run PPP from the home server.

Quote:
Pahwa wrote on Twitter, Don't understand why @Airtel_Presence insists on installing their own modem with their broadband connection.
As far as Airtel is concerned the Nokia is their CPE, and I acknowledge that. Plus the optical equipment is expensive, I don't think Pahwa has checked up on the pricing of these.
Old 15th December 2021, 02:05   #1268
BHPian

Been using Airtel Fiber at my residence in Mumbai since July 2021 and I am super impressed with the quality of service offered. I have a 200 Mbps plan, the speeds I consistently get are above 240 Mbps for both upload & download.

The ONT router that they have installed, is the one from Sercomm, it's a Taiwanese brand. Looks sleek. Perfect coverage for the house.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 17:06   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Been using Airtel Fiber at my residence in Mumbai since July 2021 and I am super impressed with the quality of service offered. I have a 200 Mbps plan, the speeds I consistently get are above 240 Mbps for both upload & download.

The ONT router that they have installed, is the one from Sercomm, it's a Taiwanese brand. Looks sleek. Perfect coverage for the house.
Can you please post some pictures of this Sercomm ONT?
It would help other members in taking an informed decision.
Old 15th December 2021, 18:46   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAxe View Post
Can you please post some pictures of this Sercomm ONT?
It would help other members in taking an informed decision.
Sure. Attaching below:
Attached Thumbnails
How much do you pay for your broadband?-img_20211215_184411.jpg  

Old 15th December 2021, 23:22   #1271
BHPian

I am based in Pune and the land on which our society is built was owned by the local landlords. Now, they are creating hurdles in broadband setup for us since they are adamant about providing only their sub-standard service which is also expensive than Tata Sky and Airtel. Has anyone faced this? How was this situation handled? Tata Sky was ready to negotiate with them and provide them one-time setup fee (basically ransom) but they are not ready for this.

I am sure people from Pune have faced this. How was this handled?
Old 22nd December 2021, 17:25   #1272
BHPian

Is Tata broadband any good in Bangalore? I am currently using Airtel, but facing frequent issues. I would like to keep both Airtel and other broadband connection. I am unable to decide between Tata and ACT. Please suggest a reliable one. I believe Jio Fiber is not available in our area.

How much do you pay for your broadband?-tata.png

How much do you pay for your broadband?-act.png
Old 22nd December 2021, 18:38   #1273
avk
BHPian

I faced an unusual situation with ACT broadband. On Aug 2019, I had availed new connection with broadband package of 6 months + router free. On Jan'21, the free router wasn't working and informed ACT. The technician visited, checked the router and informed that the router is damaged and the warranty is only for 6 months so I should buy a new router which I did. Continued using it until Dec'21 and disconnected to shift to another place.

After I disconnected, the ACT customer care informs me that I should return the router which they gave for free as they repossess those routers if the customer has disconnected within 3 years. I plainly told them them about the complaint raised on Jan'21 about the router and asked why the technician didn't take the router back when he visited and if they were expecting me to safely keep a damaged router in my custody for a year.

There were 2-3 calls from customer care where they start with having to return the router. Got a call today too after 18 days of disconnecting asking for router back and asked them to check the complaints to know what happened to their router and that I bought a router at my own cost. The CC reconfirmed the same and informed they are going to close this. Not sure how many more times they are going to call asking the same thing.

Also my deactivated account is showing a ~ -1k balance in due amount. Will I get a refund?
Old 24th December 2021, 16:25   #1274
Senior - BHPian

I am on ACT's 300 mbps plan in Bangalore. Cost is Rs.1198 per month incl taxes (Pay for 12 months, get 2 months free).
Speed is great. On wifi- 5 Ghz, I end up getting close to 240 mps dl and 190 ul.
On Wired Lan connection get full 300 mbps ul and dl. Worth the money. My experience with them in term of speed and reliability has been better than both my earlier providers.
Airtel (too frequent disconnections and very bad buffering on Amazon prime in 2019. I switched over to Hathway which was good. However they offered asymmetrical speeds -150 ul and 75 dl. Faced lots of buffering issues on video calls when connecting on my office MS teams from home.
Switched to ACT this year in May and have been a happy customer. Except for one time when the connection was down for about 20 mins, Ive not faced any issue. For Nov and December, they have bumped up the speed to 500 mbps for free. They say its a limited time offer. but looks like they are testing the network for something bigger. For those contemplating between Airtel and ACT, you will get better speeds at the same or lower cost with ACT.
Old 19th January 2022, 13:38   #1275
UMe
BHPian

Hi BHPians,
I am using ACT Broadband from a few months. They are charging rental in advance (1st to 31st cycle) and due date for each month would fall on 15th. Since I made a switch to monthly rental plan, due to some reasons, I missed to make payments and my connection was suspended for non-payment since 16th. I would also incur a late payment fee of Rs 100 for not making payment on time.

This is double whammy for subscribers, as I would be missing-out on broadband for the days when my broadband got suspended and also incur a late payment charges. On calling customer service they say that they don't follow prepaid or postpaid model, but advanced rental plan and this how they follow.

Since I am making payment for 31 days, I think I am eligible for a rental rebate for days when my account was in suspended state

I am not sure, if this is how it is followed by other broadband providers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks