Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 13:04   #976
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread, <snip>
Any pointers?
FWIW (as this is an old post by hothatchaway), have faced very similar situation with another ICICI site - the FasTag recharge one, albeit with a different provider - Jio.

Tried all troubleshooting steps mentioned by hothatchaway, but the site won't open. As a last resort (that too at 4am on my day of travel, before which I wanted to recharge the FasTag ), used my spouse's Airtel connection as hotspot and voila it worked !

So, suggestion is to try a different ISP - it might just work!
Old 14th March 2019, 21:07   #977
BHPian

I am subscribed to hathway broad band since 2017. The first year subscription came with 12 months paid and 6 months free package, which ended in Dec 2018.

On 30 Dec 2018 I visited the Hathway office at Nungambakkam, Chennai and enquired about the renewal scheme. The executive Mr Santosh and another colleague who collected the payment informed me that the same scheme will be applicable ( 12 months paid + 6 months free) for Rs 14853.84. accordingly I made the payment with the reassurance that my receipt and the expiry will be displayed after a day in the mobile app.

To my surprise, the expiry date of my package shows 29 Dec 2019, which is just 12 months. ( in my previous year, the expiry date was after 18 months).

Many service requests and mail to Hathway have fallen on deaf ears. Infact all service requests were closed without even discussion with me.

I feel hathway has cheated and, no response to my mail and service requests since Jan 2019 is a proof that they do not value good realtionships with customers, especially the ones who have been loyal to them since they set foot in Chennai.

I had recommended Hathway to friends and colleagues earlier, but I certainly will not do it herafter.
Is there something I can do to escalate this to their top brass for an early resolution? Please suggest , thank you
Old 14th March 2019, 21:19   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimi View Post
To my surprise, the expiry date of my package shows 29 Dec 2019, which is just 12 months. ( in my previous year, the expiry date was after 18 months).
A similar experience with me as well here in Mumbai. I have been a Hathway customer since 2004. On the last renewal I was told the package is for 12+ 2 months. But it actually turned out to be 12 + 1 month. On enquiring with them, they just said it was a mistake on their part; the actual package is 12 + 1 only. It is worthwhile to mention that in my society which is just a few months old, people have different costs for the same package being sold saying 'this is the best package that has been given to you'. Our bad that we the residents could not approach them together in a group because of various reasons.
Old 5th January 2020, 18:16   #979
BANNED

We have migrated to paid plan of Jio Fibre Gold. Previously when it was under trial/free we used to get near 100Mbps download and Upload. Now we opted for 250Mbps but speed rarely goes above 80Mbps download and Upload is 20Mbps. I wanted to go for an annual plan but to try I paid for one month plan. On top of it there is no response from Jio call centre, the local Jio guy or online. Looks like will need to migrate to Airtel who gave demo of 200Mbps download at home.
Old 5th January 2020, 19:23   #980
BHPian

Got Airtel Fiber optic broadband.
Promised is 350GB per month @200Mbps. Got the Rs.299/- per month additional top up for unlimited data (FUP limits at 3333GB).
However, I see that the speed I am getting is only 10Mbps. Puzzling!
Old 5th January 2020, 21:16   #981
BHPian

Local Service Provider. Subscribed to 25 Mbps up and down and 99.99% times that is the speed I get. I pay ₹600 for this per month. Youtube and Netflix have cache or something as in nerd Stats of youtube, I have seen speeds go to 48 Mbps and fast.com (effectively Netflix server) shows upto 85 Mbps.
No FUP.
Old 6th January 2020, 13:00   #982
BHPian

My local Service provider - Rajeshnet.
I am subscribed to a 25 MBPS connection which returns 25 mbps (fast.com) most of the time on weekdays. Weekends, however, is a different story, lots of downtime. But I believe it is still better than those branded ISPs.
Netflix and Amazon Prime runs fluently on my Samsung TV.
Old 6th January 2020, 13:07   #983
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Local Service Provider.

Who is the provider?
Old 6th January 2020, 13:14   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Who is the provider?
The Bill Says "Aaryan Cable Network". There is no proper shop the provider has. He sits inside a laundry shop in the locality. I have FTTH I guess since he put that fiber box and then connected wireless router to that fiber box. The speeds aren't due to fiber box though since that was put up by him only 1 month back. Before that, we had an Ethernet Cable coming into our home from building terrace and going directly in the router.
When doing Speedtest, the ISP shows as "InCable" but we never deal with Incable.

Last edited by raksrules : 6th January 2020 at 13:16.
Old 12th January 2020, 17:35   #985
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some urgent help.
My relatives are coming down from abroad for 2 weeks & they need an internet connection here in Mumbai. So essentially i just need this connection for 1 month. I'm given to understand Airtel Hotspot & Jio-Fi are the 2 players which have this this portable router system which can be carried around practically everywhere. It will be used by 3 people most times.
Anybody has any prior experience with these operators? Which one should i opt for?
Old 19th January 2020, 11:40   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Guys, need some urgent help.
My relatives are coming down from abroad for 2 weeks & they need an internet connection here in Mumbai. So essentially i just need this connection for 1 month. I'm given to understand Airtel Hotspot & Jio-Fi are the 2 players which have this this portable router system which can be carried around practically everywhere. It will be used by 3 people most times.
Anybody has any prior experience with these operators? Which one should i opt for?
A proper home broadband is much more stable and desirable. However if the need is limited to checking emails and surfing the web then a portable hotspot can work. I have both Airtel and Jio devices that I use for travel. I wouldn’t be able to manage without a high speed home wired connection though.
Coming to those two options, it is hard to make a blanket recommendation.The service quality and the speed depend on the area and the time of the day. The speeds fluctuate a lot. Generally, Airtel is faster in urban areas while Jio does better in less populated areas. However this is not always the case. These devices use the same SIMs and provide the same data speed as regular phones. If you have an Airtel or Jio SIM, you can go to the locations where your relatives will be using the connection and test the speed available. In addition, you can also simply use a phone as a hotspot and thus avoid the expense of purchasing a dedicated device. The device costs around Rs 1000 and its battery lasts around 4 to 6 hours of usage.
Old 20th January 2020, 14:20   #987
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
A proper home broadband is much more stable and desirable.
Have opted for broadband 50mbps connection from the local cable guy! As you rightly stated, it would be more stable & made more sense to me.
Old 24th January 2020, 17:31   #988
Oxy
BHPian

I just compared the ACT broadband plans across cities. Each plan is much more expensive and has lesser benefits in Bangalore compared to other cities.

For example, their 1 Gbps speed plan called ACT Giga costs 6k per month in Bangalore while it costs as low as 3k per month in Chennai.

My current ACT subscription in Bangalore (100mbps speed with FUP of 450 GB) costs 1059 per month. The equivalent plan in Delhi (100mbps speed with FUP of 500 GB) costs 749 per month.

https://www.actcorp.in/residential/fibernet/plans/

Folks in Bangalore are being looted openly. Can we report this somewhere?

Last edited by Oxy : 24th January 2020 at 17:49.
Old 27th January 2020, 17:21   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I just compared the ACT broadband plans across cities. Each plan is much more expensive and has lesser benefits in Bangalore compared to other cities.

For example, their 1 Gbps speed plan called ACT Giga costs 6k per month in Bangalore while it costs as low as 3k per month in Chennai.

My current ACT subscription in Bangalore (100mbps speed with FUP of 450 GB) costs 1059 per month. The equivalent plan in Delhi (100mbps speed with FUP of 500 GB) costs 749 per month.

https://www.actcorp.in/residential/fibernet/plans/

Folks in Bangalore are being looted openly. Can we report this somewhere?
Pure economics I guess, stop using ACT and switch to a different operator, they'd be forced to slash their rates I'd say.
Old 1st March 2020, 13:38   #990
Team-BHP Support

This is for a 50 MBPS connection by Bharat Fiber, BSNL.
Attached Thumbnails
How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?-bsnl.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks