Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite internet speed test portal?
Fast.com by Netflix 38 33.33%
Cloudflare speed test 1 0.88%
DSLReports 1 0.88%
Speedtest by Ookla 64 56.14%
Testmy.net 1 0.88%
OpenSpeedTest 3 2.63%
Others 2 1.75%
I don't believe in speed tests 4 3.51%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 14:42   #856
BHPian

Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I have put my Railwire connection ( 2 Mbps no FUP for 1399) on hold ( It works on a recharge system thankfully).

Switched to Reliance Jio 4G as my primary household broadband with the help of mobile hotspot.

30+ Mbps at any time of the day . The launch offer is 3 months of unlimited 4G without FUP + Unlimited voice calls + SMS if you buy a Reliance LYF mobile which start from 4000.

Leave aside the mobile , the data alone seems VFM and I can take the phone outside if needed.
Old 5th July 2016, 19:07   #857
Senior - BHPian

My cable ISP faced a new problem last weekend. Someone cut a few of the CAT5 cables (including the one that brings Internet to me. ).

This is likely done by the new ISP that has started recently.

So, in this war, I am expecting lots of cable cuts. Sadly if the joints do not hold on, I might have to shell out money for the new cable, which I do not want to.

So, time to look for a new ISP.
Old 5th July 2016, 19:43   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
I have put my Railwire connection ( 2 Mbps no FUP for 1399) on hold ( It works on a recharge system thankfully).

Hello Sir

I need a few clarifications on the working of Railwire. Can you kindly elaborate me the entire process, from applying for the connection to the service provided??

Some say that you need to deposit a non-refundable amount of 10k before one can even apply for the connection. While others say that the service is handled by local cable operators, and that any grievances isn't attended properly. I have given my details on the site umpteen number of times, but no one has contacted me yet.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 5th July 2016, 22:22   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Hello Sir

I need a few clarifications on the working of Railwire. Can you kindly elaborate me the entire process, from applying for the connection to the service provided??

Some say that you need to deposit a non-refundable amount of 10k before one can even apply for the connection. While others say that the service is handled by local cable operators, and that any grievances isn't attended properly. I have given my details on the site umpteen number of times, but no one has contacted me yet.

Regards,
Shashi
Railwire's last mile connectivity is handled by the local cable TV operator. The service especially the cable maintenance part is dependent on how good the cable TV operator is.

My cable operator asked for 3 months subscription in advance while my friend whose home comes under a different operator asked for just one month.No non refundable deposits. I applied , the connection was given and I paid after I tested the connection.

The speeds and service is good for the most part except that there is a 20-30 minute downtime once or twice a week. I have backup 3g connections anyway.

For the remaining time , Railwire is excellent though.

I love the low ping rates and a plus is that upload speeds are same as download speeds so much so that I am not keen on continuing Reliance Jio 4G which has quite high ping rates despite 30 Mbps speeds.

The payment system is like prepaid phone recharges. Do no billing and disconnection process drama which is honest and straight forward.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 5th July 2016 at 22:26.
Old 5th July 2016, 23:05   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

Switched to Reliance Jio 4G as my primary household broadband with the help of mobile hotspot.

30+ Mbps at any time of the day . The launch offer is 3 months of unlimited 4G without FUP + Unlimited voice calls + SMS if you buy a Reliance LYF mobile which start from 4000.

Leave aside the mobile , the data alone seems VFM and I can take the phone outside if needed.
Reliance Jio seems interesting right now.

How to subscribe to this? You have the connection on your phone and use it at home as hotspot?

One can also use devices which make SIM cards run as WIFI with Jio.
Old 5th July 2016, 23:09   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Reliance Jio seems interesting right now.

How to subscribe to this? You have the connection on your phone and use it at home as hotspot?

One can also use devices which make SIM cards run as WIFI with Jio.
The catch for the unlimited offer is that the SIM will work only with that particular LYF phone.

I use it with the hotspot. You need to buy a new LYF phone to subscribe. The SIM only comes bundled with LYF phones as of now.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 5th July 2016 at 23:13.
Old 5th July 2016, 23:12   #862
Team-BHP Support

Last 2 years i was wondering why the ACT fibernet 30 mbps was giving only 14-15mbps with occasional 20's at my residence in Indira Nagar, whereas every other person gets the full 30?

Couple of weeks back i was connected by LAN to the route and bingo i too see 30 Mbps. My workhorse Linksys WRT45G (almost a decade old) was the culprit, poor thing was not able to support the speed that the network was offering.

Ordered a Netgear R6220 AC-1200 Smart WiFi Router through amazon and now i get 29.9x mbps speed up and down stream!
Old 13th July 2016, 19:06   #863
BANNED

Is there anyone here using Hathway in Chembur (not Hathway Bhavani but direct from Hathway)? How is their uptime? How is their customer care? If you have an outage during non-business days/hours - how is it dealt with?
Old 13th July 2016, 19:38   #864
Senior - BHPian

Using Reliance Jio since Saturday along with the Flame 2 phone.
For Rs. 3499, I think this is a good deal for 3 months of unlimited data (and voice).

I have made just 2 calls - there is difficultly to make calls - you need to retry several times.
Incoming - no problem.
Data: I have poor network from all providers - so I did not have high hopes with Jio - but 850 Mhz band was something I was looking forward to.
The signal strength is as bad as other providers - yet it manages to give me 1 -1.5 Mbps speed - which is a marvel in itself.
In other locations outside home, we have seen 30 Mbps.
Old 14th July 2016, 12:09   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Using Reliance Jio since Saturday along with the Flame 2 phone.
For Rs. 3499, I think this is a good deal for 3 months of unlimited data (and voice).

I have made just 2 calls - there is difficultly to make calls - you need to retry several times.
Incoming - no problem.
Data: I have poor network from all providers - so I did not have high hopes with Jio - but 850 Mhz band was something I was looking forward to.
The signal strength is as bad as other providers - yet it manages to give me 1 -1.5 Mbps speed - which is a marvel in itself.
In other locations outside home, we have seen 30 Mbps.
I use a Flame 4 which I purchased for 4000. Its price has been cut to 3K now.

If you face difficulty in making calls, cut off data and you will be able to make calls just fine. This is a network optimization issue.

The Flame 4 I have has only 512 MB RAM . The main issue is I am not able to install apps due to lack of Google Play Services not available on the phone.

Jio manages to get 2-3 Mbps even with one signal bar which is just amazing.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 14th July 2016 at 12:11.
Old 7th August 2016, 14:24   #866
BHPian

BSNL has increased the minimum speed for their Broadband users to upto 1MBPS. It was 512 kbps earlier. I think it's a brilliant move. Another reason for me to stick to BSNL. Downtime is very mimimal. No extra charges. Not even visiting charges if we have any issues.

Any suggestions for a good WiFi modem would be welcome. My current modem in on hire since a long time. The rent I have paid up till now would have got me at least 3 new modems. Stupid of me.
Any recommendations guys?
Old 8th August 2016, 10:23   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
BSNL has increased the minimum speed for their Broadband users to upto 1MBPS
Even for existing subscribers?
Old 8th August 2016, 11:12   #868
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
BSNL has increased the minimum speed for their Broadband users to upto 1MBPS. It was 512 kbps earlier. I think it's a brilliant move. Another reason for me to stick to BSNL. Downtime is very mimimal. No extra charges. Not even visiting charges if we have any issues.
Alas this move came a bit too late for me. While I've to admit that BSNL felt much more liberal and peaceful compared to my previous experience with Airtel which saw them cross all limits of indecency by not only overbilling but also harassing with calls, the feel good factor didn't last too long. BSNL is good till the going is good, once a cable fault or technical fault comes up they do absolutely nothing for you and after suffering crackling call quality and hundreds of drops per hour in internet I disconnected both. Not that they bothered even a little bit.

Today I'm on Hathway broadband with 50 mbps speed and 150 GB limit (special offer) for about Rs.1300/- a month. Mathematically tens of times better than the Rs.1700/- odd I paid for the BSNL for a stingy 3.5 mbps average speed and 30 GB limit. Finally I'm happy, not that I'm going nuts with using the net, I don't even use half of it but at least I know that I can watch 1080p Youtube videos without a worry.
Old 8th August 2016, 12:21   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

BSNL's 1 Mbps minimum kicks in after you exceed your monthly data cap or FUP as they call it. It used to be 512 kbps earlier. It's a good move. But then we need to remember there've been small imperceptible increases in monthly charges...normally in the range of Rs 30-80 for some data plans.

As long as things run well BSNL is a pretty reliable provider. But if your line is bad or you have technical problems they normally don't do much or anything to resolve it. I had to replace the wiring from the building's terminal box into my home at my expense because the line was noisy and the modem would drop the carrier/link.

When some in the West are getting Gb connections BSNL are still struggling with a few Mbps. Their FTTH service is atrociously priced.

I've used BSNL for 10 years straight now. The connection now serves as a backup (8 Mbps) while the main connection is from You broadband.

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th August 2016 at 12:24.
Old 8th August 2016, 12:56   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Even for existing subscribers?
Yes it is for existing customers as well. I guess it's mostly to retain existing customers from switching to Reliance Jio which is expected to undercut all.
Many have dumped their regular connections and bought Lyf smartphones which comes with 3 months unlimited 4G and using hotspot to connect their other devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Today I'm on Hathway broadband with 50 mbps speed and 150 GB limit (special offer) for about Rs.1300/- a month. Mathematically tens of times better than the Rs.1700/- odd I paid for the BSNL for a stingy 3.5 mbps average speed and 30 GB limit. Finally I'm happy, not that I'm going nuts with using the net, I don't even use half of it but at least I know that I can watch 1080p Youtube videos without a worry.
Man, your Hathway plan sounds real good. You roughly pay just more than 300 odd over what I pay and enjoy upto 50x more speed.
Sad we don't have many ISPs here in Jaipur. Not even Hathway.

And BSNL service specially in my area is pretty good. Might be because the subscriber base is high as lots of people have been on their landline and broadband combo for years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks