Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2015, 20:41   #61
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I am pretty sure you will get it free on all 3 machines..
And, this clearly answers the bigger, lingering question of the day brought on through the confusion of touting Windows 10 as "Windows-as-a-Service." And that is - will Windows now come with a subscription model? The answer is 'no.' Once you choose to upgrade, the OS is yours to keep for the life of the device.[/i]
Looks like I was not alone, anyway its good news then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Actually, it is not a bad model. We do not use a version of an OS for more than a few years. You need not "buy" a life-long licence for that. When, version 11 is out, you can switch to subscribing the new OS.
It depends if I want to move to 11. For example, the main laptop I use still runs 7 Ultimate, since I am very happy with it, and it does all I want. My desktop was a recent build, and I had no option but to go for 8.1 (was not sure if a 8.1 pro key could be used for a 7 ultimate!!), and the 3rd pc was a test laptop which started with XP, moved to 7 Ultimate, 8, 8.1 and now 10 eval. For the main PC, I always upgrade it once the version has stabilised. This has been the case from Windows 95 days. After 95, I went to NT then XP, then 7.

Most of the time the subscription model suits it we plan to upgrade in a couple of years, else per install is better. If we take the example of MS Office, depending on my usage I am more than happy with a DVD version than the cloud, since the cloud cost would be equal (roughly) to the DVD in 4-5 yrs.
Old 27th January 2015, 20:46   #62
BHPian

Says free for a while, but is it downloadable as complete OS, for a fresh install rather than an upgrade for Win 7/8 users?

If not free thereafter, will be sold retail like Win7/8 were ? If not, how will those still on older OS upgrade, or say for a new machine which is assembled (no OEM OS pre-installed) ?
Old 27th January 2015, 20:58   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Most of the time the subscription model suits it we plan to upgrade in a couple of years, else per install is better.
True, but even for people who upgrade to alternate versions, subscription model should work. I usually run the latest available, so even after paying for a stable version I usually end up running the latest preview or RTM.
Old 27th January 2015, 21:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Says free for a while, but is it downloadable as complete OS, for a fresh install rather than an upgrade for Win 7/8 users?

If not free thereafter, will be sold retail like Win7/8 were ? If not, how will those still on older OS upgrade, or say for a new machine which is assembled (no OEM OS pre-installed) ?
It would be available as retail edition. The upgrades would only be for a set of versions, and that is likely to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
True, but even for people who upgrade to alternate versions, subscription model should work. I usually run the latest available, so even after paying for a stable version I usually end up running the latest preview or RTM.
Earlier I was doing the same, with just 1 pc on the stable version. This aversion started only after 8 was released.
Old 6th June 2015, 15:35   #65
BANNED

With Win10 release imminent, I found a way of saving the update as an ISO image.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...tag=TREc64629f

This sill be handy since for multiple machines, you do not have to download the 3GB repeatedly, also and ISO imge allow you to reload the OS.

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th June 2015 at 15:37.
Old 10th July 2015, 09:37   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I am running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10166. So far so good. This was installed as an in-place upgrade over Windows 8.1 Pro. So far the only compatibility issue was with my security software (Kaspersky in my case). Now it's running on Win Defender and the standard built in firewall.

This build is smooth, has a couple of issues when shutting down or restarting (delays) but can be fixed with a few registry hacks/tweaks. I look forward to the RTM build that should be out in the next 3-5 days.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th July 2015 at 09:38.
Old 13th July 2015, 15:49   #67
Senior - BHPian

Probably the second-best place to ask this question.

Never been a fan of Windblows and liked only Windows 7 but have installed Win 8.1 now on my desktop at home. All these years, I used AVG AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm Firewall. Have always loved them and they have served me well.

But how is the Windows inbuilt Firewall and AV? Is there a need to install other Firewall and AV (and disable inbuilt stuff)
Old 13th July 2015, 16:00   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I am running Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 10166. So far so good. This was installed as an in-place upgrade over Windows 8.1 Pro. So far the only compatibility issue was with my security software (Kaspersky in my case). Now it's running on Win Defender and the standard built in firewall.

This build is smooth, has a couple of issues when shutting down or restarting (delays) but can be fixed with a few registry hacks/tweaks. I look forward to the RTM build that should be out in the next 3-5 days.
I have used 10 Insider Preview and my feelings are mixed. I rather like the 8 and 8.1 start screen and have felt no problems at all. 10 seems to have mixed up the windows 7 start screen and the 8/8.1 icons. I still reckon to upgrade to 10 but I will first use in a VM. The latest news seems to be not all will get the web upgrade on 29th July. Insider (people on windows 10 insider) may get it first.

Even for 7, 8 and 8.1; I started using them around 2-4 months after RTM. Found every new OS to be better than the previous one in terms of hardware support and stability. 10 should be better but I will stick to 8.1 for another 2-3 mths. RTM is expected this week perhaps (perhaps after patch Tuesday) and from then on, it is only a matter of hours before it leaks!!
Old 13th July 2015, 16:01   #69
Team-BHP Support

Have any of you tried connecting cisco anyconnect? Earlier releases it would not work, but even with 10166, its not working.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:30   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But how is the Windows inbuilt Firewall and AV? Is there a need to install other Firewall and AV (and disable inbuilt stuff)
I have been using the in-built firewall and AV since Win7, never had any issues in any of the 20+ desktops in my office.
Old 13th July 2015, 16:45   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have been using the in-built firewall and AV since Win7, never had any issues in any of the 20+ desktops in my office.
Newbie alert: Samu, for threat management on multiple PCs why not get a single firewall like Cyberoam, Fortigate (Fortinet), Sonicwall, or Baracuda? Is there a reason you use Windows firewall?
Old 13th July 2015, 17:13   #72
Senior - BHPian

I think the RTM target has been pushed to middle of next week around 20th July.
Old 13th July 2015, 17:40   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I think the RTM target has been pushed to middle of next week around 20th July.
According to 'insider info' RTM sign-off is expected on Wed 15th Jul morning/afternoon PDT, which means it will be pretty late at night in India. Of course, such release dates are always an iffy thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
RTM is expected this week perhaps (perhaps after patch Tuesday) and from then on, it is only a matter of hours before it leaks!!
I wont be downloading the RTM ISO from anywhere except an official MS download site. Simply too risky.

Though I have always balked at using a pre release OS despite my decades long technical familiarity with system engineering using Windows desktop and server OSes, this is the first time I have done so. Build 10166 is still an unfinished product, some rough edges and hiccups here and there, but on the whole it's not something one cannot manage provided you always back up data. Hey, BTW I am also with Office 2016 preview, a product that definitely needs to go through more bug fixing and testing.

But I want my pound of flesh i.e. the RTM ASAP for providing feedback constantly to MS.

PS - This is when the formal announcement is expected; @ the WPC on Thurs 8:45 ET (18:15 IST) - https://news.microsoft.com/wpc2015/

PPS - A formal announcement may even come in on Wed 15th.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th July 2015 at 17:57.
Old 13th July 2015, 17:51   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Quote:
+1 to this.

I've been using Windows Defender (and its previous incarnation Microsoft Security Essentials) for several years and have been happy with it. Ditto for the Firewall - from the time I got an internet connection at home, I've used the Windows Firewall.

For someone moving from competitors products (like AVG, ZoneAlarm, Norton, etc.) that love to inform you of their presence through popups, splash screens, the one striking difference is that these built-in products (Windows Defender, Windows Firewall) stay out of your way.
Old 13th July 2015, 18:14   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
+1 to this.
OK thanks for the inputs. Somehow feel "vulnerable" without ZoneAlarm but will give the inbuilt firewall and AV a go.

Most Viewed