Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 12:49   #601
BHPian

Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember the same runs very happily under Win10 (Pro here), on the Toshiba i3, 2GB unit. I just copied across the directory.
It could be missing some dlls if you did not install Tally9. There could be runtime dlls that exist on the other laptop (system or system32 folders) and are missing here.
Old 14th June 2016, 16:27   #602
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
It could be missing some dlls if you did not install Tally9. There could be runtime dlls that exist on the other laptop (system or system32 folders) and are missing here.
Sorry, it worked perfectly on my system till end of May 2016. What changed - windows updates and the updated driver for the Samsung SCX-3400 in order to get the Wireless link to run. Win updates are there also in the Toshiba. So have the dll's evaporated?

Sir, I have been dallying with computers since 1973, so know a thing or two.
Old 14th June 2016, 17:18   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, it worked perfectly on my system till end of May 2016. What changed - windows updates and the updated driver for the Samsung SCX-3400 in order to get the Wireless link to run. Win updates are there also in the Toshiba. So have the dll's evaporated?
Sometimes applications aren't very helpful with error messages.

Sir, do one thing. Go to the Windows Log files, (Hot key - Windows Key + X then V) clear the Application log.

Once done, try and start Tally again and once it throws an error and closes, open the Application log file and check the relevant entry. What does it say? That will help in deciphering what is going on under the bonnet.
Old 14th June 2016, 18:04   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, it worked perfectly on my system till end of May 2016.
What changed - windows updates and the updated driver for the Samsung SCX-3400 in order to get the Wireless link to run.
- If you are positive that the only thing that has changed is the updated printer driver, you could try uninstalling the printer & its driver from the machine.

- Does the other laptop ( in which Tally works ) have the same printers installed with WiFi enabled ?
Old 15th June 2016, 01:10   #605
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, I have been dallying with computers since 1973, so know a thing or two.
Didn't mean to imply ignorance, was trying to be helpful and pointed out the dll missing possibility because you mentioned you copied the folder from your other laptop. No offense, I was born in '73 btw
Old 15th June 2016, 09:19   #606
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Didn't mean to imply ignorance, was trying to be helpful and pointed out the dll missing possibility because you mentioned you copied the folder from your other laptop. No offense, I was born in '73 btw
The copied folder is running in the Toshiba, so obviously the folder has every thing in it. If the copy was failing then what you say may be true.
Old 15th June 2016, 09:40   #607
BHPian

The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
The copied folder is running in the Toshiba, so obviously the folder has every thing in it. If the copy was failing then what you say may be true.
The difference between installing a program and copying a folder of the program is that the installer often checks for common runtime dlls on the system and install such dlls if not found. An example is a c++ runtime often needed for programs to run. This is usually in a common folder on the OS and is not distributed in the folder where the software is installed. Such dlls could be missing is what I was trying to say.
To fix such a situation I would normally run process explorer and list all dlls loaded into memory on the Toshiba when Tally is running and then look for the same dlls on the other laptop where it is failing to start.
The reason such common dlls could exist on the Toshiba and not the other one is because some other program may have installed the common dll which was needed by Tally and this other program may not be installed on the other laptop.

This is one situation that needs to be ruled out.

Last edited by diyguy : 15th June 2016 at 09:46.
Old 15th June 2016, 11:21   #608
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
- If you are positive that the only thing that has changed is the updated printer driver, you could try uninstalling the printer & its driver from the machine.

- Does the other laptop ( in which Tally works ) have the same printers installed with WiFi enabled ?
The other laptop does not have the printer driver on wireless. I do no think the driver is there at all there. At best it is the USB version. I will check out. I did remove both the printers on mine, did not help.

It is my wife's and used for Facebook, Skype and gmail.
Old 15th June 2016, 16:57   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Currently running Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider Build 14366 (fast ring) on my main home PC. So far so good. But it seems to use more memory than version 1511.

This is a precursor to the 1st anniversary edition that's to be released on 29/7.
Old 15th June 2016, 18:45   #610
BANNED

@dyguy; What I said is that the copied folder is working perfectly, Tally and data. Thus everything moved properly.

What I said at the very outset was that the DOS origin of Tally is obvious. It does not make any Registry entries, or install dlls in Windows. Mouse integration still leaves a lot to be desired. It is a dinosaur, but one is forced to use it. I wonder whether it even uses RAM beyond 640MB!

What are the differences between the two systems. Mine is running Win10SL hers is Win10Pro (upgrade from Win7Pro). Mine is i5 4GB, hers is i3 2GB. This year I will probably have to manage with both laptops, all our accounts are on mine, except that the Tally account of my son runs only on hers.
Old 16th June 2016, 17:20   #611
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post

Today on the suggestion of a friend (a Principal SW Engineer at IITK) I took a systematic approach. I had Recovery from 14/4 when Tally was working. So I took another Recovery today. The restored the 14/4 recovery. Tally works. Then installed the printer on Wireless. Works. Went back to the 16/6 Recovery. Does not work. Removed the Printer driver. Still no joy. Then installed the printer again, still no joy.

So ultimately I went back to the 14/4 Recovery after saving the desktop etc. Then installed the Printer. What was different was that I did not allow the system to download the driver, instead used the Installer, and put in the Universal Printer Driver(3) from my archivesAllowed the system to update, then manually restored the desktop files. Some work. Now i will have to manually delete the VM partition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Sir, do one thing. Go to the Windows Log files, (Hot key - Windows Key + X then V) clear the Application log.

Once done, try and start Tally again and once it throws an error and closes, open the Application log file and check the relevant entry. What does it say? That will help in deciphering what is going on under the bonnet.
Deleting the Windows Log files is dodgy. It removed all my drive letter assignments, and the USB drive was not even showing up. Took a bit of fishing to get them back. So it can be a tricky tool.

Moral the driver was the rogue, and was leaving some artifacts in the system!

Incidentally, I use the AOMEI One Key Recovery and do one at least every fortnight.

Last edited by sgiitk : 16th June 2016 at 17:30.
Old 20th July 2016, 13:22   #612
Senior - BHPian

Is availability of Cortana & some new icons (external USB device) part of Windows 10 update? I haven't found anything else new in the update.

Disk utilization had reached 100% for many hours after the update, settled down later but still goes high for considerable time post every reboot.
Old 7th August 2016, 16:03   #613
BANNED

Any clues about the availability of the Win 10 Noveau? I am sure there will be links from which one can download and install. Ideas are more than welcome.

Even though I have defected to MacbookPro I will keep both my Win10 systems up and running.
Old 9th August 2016, 18:52   #614
BHPian

Had pre-installed Windows 10 Home edition on a new HP laptop that I bought. The problem is the internet speed! I have an 8Mbps connection and all other devices reflect that, however this laptop manages max 4Mbps at any point in time. All downloads etc are slower!
Speed was checked using speedtest.net portal.
Old 10th August 2016, 12:31   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any clues about the availability of the Win 10 Noveau? I am sure there will be links from which one can download and install. Ideas are more than welcome.
You can download the ISO from the MS site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/soft...load/windows10

I'd advise an in place upgrade using an ISO instead of Windows Update. The latter method seems to run into several problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
Had pre-installed Windows 10 Home edition on a new HP laptop that I bought. The problem is the internet speed! I have an 8Mbps connection and all other devices reflect that, however this laptop manages max 4Mbps at any point in time. All downloads etc are slower! Speed was checked using speedtest.net portal.
How have you tested this? Over WiFi or wired ethernet?

Just make sure your LAN or WiFi card drivers are up to date.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks