Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 23:58   #1861
Team-BHP Support

re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
1. You can get that combo for 21.5k (including shipping) here.

CPU | Mobo | Ram : Sandy Bridge MoBos (B3 Stepping) and CPUs

2. Normally, you should have retained the graphics card, as usually discrete graphics are better than integrated graphics, but this is not so in Sandy Bridge's case. The integrated graphics that come with i7 2600 are better than the 4350. So it'll actually be beneficial for you to not use the graphics card.

3. While the Intel motherboard is alright, if you wait, there's a good chance you'll find boards that offer more features at that price point. Intel's not known for being a VFM motherboard manufacturer. However, if you don't want to wait, or if you think that the extra features will be worthless for you (which is very much possible as you don't intend to overclock etc), by all means, go for it.
1. Agreed, will ask my comp dealer to match it. Anyway im probably buying end of next month. So should I stick to this config, or anything newer coming out?

2. Really? LOL, in that case ill try and sell the graphics card.

3. Extra features like what? Nope im not going to overclock but I do have like a month to wait.
Old 19th March 2011, 13:50   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
So should I stick to this config, or anything newer coming out?
No, this is the best there is, for the budget. AMD is releasing Bulldozer in May-June, but no guarantee if it will even equal Sandy Bridge's performance.

Quote:
Extra features like what? Nope im not going to overclock but I do have like a month to wait.
I dunno...motherboard manufacturers are always innovating. And I'm not a system builder, so don't know about these less significant details. .

But it won't be a big deal, primary thing to look for in a motherboard is that it runs the processor you want, and it has the ports you want, which is true with the Intel motherboard. There might be a feature you might use, or nothing at all. It's your call. You won't be missing anything with the Intel board.
Old 20th March 2011, 19:43   #1863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
No, this is the best there is, for the budget. AMD is releasing Bulldozer in May-June, but no guarantee if it will even equal Sandy Bridge's performance.

I dunno...motherboard manufacturers are always innovating. And I'm not a system builder, so don't know about these less significant details. .

But it won't be a big deal, primary thing to look for in a motherboard is that it runs the processor you want, and it has the ports you want, which is true with the Intel motherboard. There might be a feature you might use, or nothing at all. It's your call. You won't be missing anything with the Intel board.
Ok thanks alot for that.

Looks like its going to be the Intel i7 2600, with the DH67 BL mobo. Il keep the onboard graphics for now. Also 6gb ram, and Windows 7 either home premium or ultimate. Will keep my current 500gb HDD. Im planning on putting this in a slim tower. Is there anything else I need?
Old 21st March 2011, 12:38   #1864
BHPian

Hi All
I am planning to build an HTPC for audio,video, broswing.

Need help me in finalizing Motherboard/Processor/Cabinet/RAM.

1.Motherboard + Processor -Budget for both is around 8K
As of now decided on AMD phenom 555 black edition as recomended by computer vendor,not decided on Motherboard though )

2.RAM - 4GB is enough (Which brand to go for ?)

3.Case (looking for some slim cabinet similar to HTPC form factor)
5.DVD writer (already with me)
6.Hard disk Hitachi 1TB (already with me)

Thanks
Old 21st March 2011, 19:36   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Is there anything else I need?
No, only a decent PSU if you're buying a new one. Something like Coolermaster, Antec, Seasonic, Corsair etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Hi All
I am planning to build an HTPC for audio,video, broswing.

Need help me in finalizing Motherboard/Processor/Cabinet/RAM.

1.Motherboard + Processor -Budget for both is around 8K
As of now decided on AMD phenom 555 black edition as recomended by computer vendor,not decided on Motherboard though )

2.RAM - 4GB is enough (Which brand to go for ?)

3.Case (looking for some slim cabinet similar to HTPC form factor)
5.DVD writer (already with me)
6.Hard disk Hitachi 1TB (already with me)

Thanks
555 Black edition is a bad choice. It's a dual-core, the black edition tag is not going to be useful at all unless you're overclocking. Even if you are overclocking, it's already at 3.2 GHz, pushing it higher will invite troubles of higher temperature etc.

If you have to buy right now, you should go for Athlon X3 445/450 or Athlon X4 635 (depending on availability and budget). They are triple core/quad core processors, and more cores will be far more useful than a 300 Mhz clock rate.

However, these are older generation processors, and newer generation chips are being launched right now, or mid-2011. Intel's Core i3 2100 (Sandy Bridge) is a better buy if you can get it. However, it costs Rs. 6300 with Intel DH67 motherboard costing Rs. 5600.

As for RAM, you can go for any brand like Corsair, GSkill, Mushkin, Hynix. I'm assuming you aren't going for high-performance modules which will cost higher and won't be worth it for your budget.
Old 26th March 2011, 10:18   #1866
BHPian

Not sure if this is the right thread....

On my HP DV4 laptop, for the past few months on startup - i am getting a windows boot manager screen with a loud and start-stop beeps. then it asks to give the option to load windows 7.

Workaround - on startup, the first thing i get it (bottom left) is to "press ESC for startup menu". If i press that twice (tap-tap) it boots fine.

What i tried - msconfig only shows single o/s as the laptop came with 1 o/s by default by HP.

Config:
HP DV4
i3
windows 7 home premium - 32 bit
4gb RAM

Any help
Old 26th March 2011, 10:50   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread....

On my HP DV4 laptop, for the past few months on startup - i am getting a windows boot manager screen with a loud and start-stop beeps. then it asks to give the option to load windows 7.

Workaround - on startup, the first thing i get it (bottom left) is to "press ESC for startup menu". If i press that twice (tap-tap) it boots fine.

What i tried - msconfig only shows single o/s as the laptop came with 1 o/s by default by HP.

Config:
HP DV4
i3
windows 7 home premium - 32 bit
4gb RAM

Any help
beep codes are a way for the computer to tell you it has a problem. was any upgrade done on your laptop recently? did the laptop fall or have any sort of impact?

btw, have you contacted the HP service center?
Old 26th March 2011, 14:59   #1868
BHPian

the answer would be no to all your questions.
Old 26th March 2011, 20:44   #1869
Senior - BHPian

hmm.. in that case it might be that some part is starting to fail. what kinda sound is it? beeeeep (long continuous) or beep beep beep (intermittent)? also, have you checked if this happens when plugged in or when on battery?
Old 29th March 2011, 02:47   #1870
BHPian

Its been a while since I have researched on Desktops, so please consider me a complete noob in whats in the market right now. I plan to rebuild my old Desktop collecting dust.

The Purpose:

1. Play movies off DVDs and Divx.
2. Play most of the Games. Big fan of NFS. Onboard graphics card or an add on?
3. Play Music off MP3s and Audio Cds.
4. Browse the net. Already got a got a wifi adapter.

The screen would be my Bravia, hence a HDMI out is a must. Would be hooked to my hifi speaker system, hence a good audio output is a must.

Please suggest a Motherboard, Processor, RAM(atleast 4gb) and a Wireless keyboard with a track pad/ball.

Would a budget of around 15k get me what I am looking for? I do not intend to upgrade for at-least 3 years. Looking for a basic setup that can effortlessly perform the above 4 listed items.

Last edited by mashmash : 29th March 2011 at 02:49.
Old 29th March 2011, 04:27   #1871
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Here's my humble config :

- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, All 6 cores overclocked to 4.0 ghz each.
- Kingston 16 GB DDR3 1600 RAM
- MSI 890FXA GD70
- XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 High Def Video Card with 2 dvi, 1 hdmi and 1 displayport output.
- 1 tb in HDD, 1.5 tb external
- Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
- 22" LCD
Old 29th March 2011, 10:53   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post

- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition, All 6 cores overclocked to 4.0 ghz each.
- MSI 890FXA GD70
- XFX HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 High Def Video Card with 2 dvi, 1 hdmi and 1 displayport output.
- 22" LCD
Humble indeed!
Old 29th March 2011, 11:53   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post

- MSI 890FXA GD70
- 22" LCD
Can we know how much this config set you back by?
Old 29th March 2011, 13:59   #1874
BHPian

After building my pretty decent setup (at that time, with the help of all you geeks, wow I can't belive one year has passed).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1849379

It is now time to get a new monitor. It is gonna replace my 15" crt. I did read about the difference between LED and LCD monitors (telling there is no difference at all, or is there). I was planning to go for a 19", but then I got an offer for LG LED e2040t at 6.5K with 3 years warranty. My main use is watching movies, surfing and doing some Word document work (needs to have clear text). It is for a desktop PC.

I can stretch the budget a little more if i can get a 22" near that price range. I dont mild if it is an led or lcd, and the power consumption does not matter either. Is there any other better model in the market. Planning to buy before march 31, getting some year end discount :-).

Thanks for your help once again.

Last edited by Chipz : 29th March 2011 at 14:01.
Old 29th March 2011, 18:45   #1875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Would a budget of around 15k get me what I am looking for? I do not intend to upgrade for at-least 3 years. Looking for a basic setup that can effortlessly perform the above 4 listed items.
A PC that can play 'most of the games' at resolutions suitable for big screens wouldn't be 'basic'. Games today tax a PC highly. And on top of it, you want it to be futureproof for 3 years.

Here are your options :-

AMD X4 645 : Rs. 5460
Intel i3 2100 : Rs. 6300 (This is good for gaming, but is dual-core, so will not be as good for other applications)
AMD X4 955 : Rs. 7000

As for graphics, your options are:-

AMD Radeon 5670 : Rs. 5500
Nvidia GTS 450 : Rs. 6500
AMD Radeon 5770 : Rs. 7560

I'd recommend X4 955 with 5770, but you'll have to up your budget. You might need a good PSU as well, if you don't have a good one already.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks