Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2015, 20:42   #2971
Team-BHP Support

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyf1 View Post
I am using the Intel NUC mode DC3217IYE model from past two years. I can absolutely vouch for the confg with SSD it is mind boggling..
Thanks, just ordered a NUC5i3RYH Box along with 8GB RAM and 240GB SSD. If that works fine, will order few more including a NUC5i5RYH.

I am tired of the same old black box desktops with the same old spinning hard drives. It is as if nothing has changed in the last 20 years, the desktop looks pretty much the same. Wait, something has changed. In the 90s desktops, monitors and keyboards were beige colored. Now it is mostly black. Some change...
Old 29th June 2015, 21:38   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks, just ordered a NUC5i3RYH Box along with 8GB RAM and 240GB SSD. If that works fine, will order few more including a NUC5i5RYH.

I am tired of the same old black box desktops with the same old spinning hard drives. It is as if nothing has changed in the last 20 years, the desktop looks pretty much the same. Wait, something has changed. In the 90s desktops, monitors and keyboards were beige colored. Now it is mostly black. Some change...
But wait, Intel is now about to change your world with silver boxes... Mean little NUC's they're called....
Old 6th August 2015, 17:34   #2973
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick answer to this - Corsair Vengeance or Kingston Fury if I am getting them for the same prices?
Old 10th October 2015, 09:21   #2974
BHPian

Wish to assemble a PC for simple browsing, play videos + MS office and such. What would be the approximate budget for building a configuration intended to run Windows 7/ 10 for the above needs?

Sort of not in sync with the latest in the market, hence looking for hints, thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 11:43   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Wish to assemble a PC for simple browsing, play videos + MS office and such. What would be the approximate budget for building a configuration intended to run Windows 7/ 10 for the above needs?

Sort of not in sync with the latest in the market, hence looking for hints, thanks
If you really want to assemble one, then it is fine, otherwise for hassle free ownership, I would recommend a Laptop instead.

Assembled PC shine when you want to get a high end configuration on a budget, say a Workstation/Gaming rig, with tons of disk space, high end video card(s) and multiple monitors. The higher the configuration, the more you save over brand name PC. Conversely at the low end the differential is quite low, and you may end up spending more, when you factor in e-commerce sale and discounts and warranty. For a Desktop, you will also need a UPS so that your data is not corrupted if power is interrupted.

For plain vanilla browsing, Office and Video, a low/mid end Laptop is the best, as it comes with a battery (back up during power cuts), OS and a warranty. You can connect most of the current Laptops to an HD TV for better viewing experience.
Old 15th October 2015, 14:58   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
..with tons of disk space, high end video card(s) and multiple monitors. .
Thanks. I did consider a laptop first. But then we already our share of those.

Lots of HDD and normal browsing is the intend with no intention to move it around.

Finally I revamped an existing PC with a new HDD etc coupled with a new 22" monitor to meet the job. The upgrade costed 12K
Old 16th March 2016, 12:39   #2977
Distinguished - BHPian

So I had a 10 year old laptop with dead battery, dead dvd drive and broken hinges (screen was replaced sometime during its life).

Specs - Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR2 RAM, inbuilt graphics, 320GB HDD.

On a whim, I opened it up and salvaged the motherboard+hdd combo. Removed everything else - screen, dvd drive, card slots, wifi cards, speakers etc. Tried booting it up and it worked fine (routed the display to the TV). I am now thinking of totally removing it from the laptop shell and mounting the hardware on acrylic sheets, further reducing its dimensions.

Anything I need to be cautious about? External ventilation? It did not appear to be heating up during the time it was on.

For the future, I am torn between 2 choices - hook it up to the TV permanently or buy a separate monitor (21" or 24"), and mount it behind that - to make an all-in-one kinda setup. I also plan to plonk in a SSD for the OS at least and upgrade the RAM.

The use will depend on where it's placed.

If it stays behind the TV, it might be limited to casual browsing, movies, youtube etc.

If used with a monitor, I might switch to it for video/still editing. But I am concerned about the old hardware and on-board graphics card, if it would really hold up well for this use. Right now, I am doing all this on the Mac Air but would really prefer a bigger screen for this sort of work and hence the dilemma!
Old 4th April 2016, 12:46   #2978
Distinguished - BHPian

PC CR2032 CMOS Backup batteries

They last so long we forget they even exist, right? Yes, right, until one day they, like all batteries, expire. Or they are some sort of cheap fake.

Mine expired. I had a card of them bought from a local shop, and I never looked twice at the detail until now --- because they are not lasting years, they are lasting just a very few weeks.

Looking at Amazon is not encouraging. I can (and am perfectly willing to) spend ten times the amount on something stamped "Sony" or "Panasonic," or even go for an imported Duracell, but what guarantees do I have that they will be genuine. From what I read on Amazon, most of the stuff with a word that looks like "maxell" on it is fake. Perhaps, for a few rupees each, that is no more than we should expect! The locally-bought ones that I have are certainly fake.

Can someone please give a me a source, a link, for an online supplier of genuine batteries? I guess I'd even settle for decent fakes, but not like the ones I have now.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 4th April 2016 at 12:47.
Old 4th April 2016, 14:31   #2979
BHPian

Is the Dell S2216h the best and affordable 22inch It's monitor in town?
Old 6th April 2016, 14:50   #2980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can someone please give a me a source, a link, for an online supplier of genuine batteries? I guess I'd even settle for decent fakes, but not like the ones I have now.
Ali Express, a vendor with high ratings? Not sure if these things can be shipped, though.
Old 7th April 2016, 00:08   #2981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Ali Express, a vendor with high ratings? ... ... ...
Goodness, it's a bit extreme if we have to buy from China to get a decent button battery!

A bit ironic too.

But thanks for the idea. I was thinking of asking a friend to bring a few back from SIngapore, but then I thought, wait... SimLim Square... they'd quite likely be fake too.
Old 7th April 2016, 02:10   #2982
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
PC CR2032 CMOS Backup batteries

Being an oldtimer, my first instinct was to tell you to go to your local Radio Shack.

But then I have a self realization, and I do the same. Here you go:

http://in.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...y/4574757.aspx

Cheers
Old 8th April 2016, 00:02   #2983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Being an oldtimer, my first instinct was to tell you to go to your local Radio Shack.
You'll be telling to go to Woolworth next!

Quote:
But then I have a self realization, and I do the same. Here you go:

http://in.rsdelivers.com/product/pan...y/4574757.aspx
55,908 in stock! i think that will do me!

Thank you very much. I never thought of RS, but there was some other item that I wanted to buy from them a while back, but thought I wouldn't make an order for just one thing. Now I can order two things!

Great!
Old 13th April 2016, 20:26   #2984
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I am tired of waiting for the Pascal GPU and it looks like I will have to wait for another year or so before I can get my hands on a Pascal GPU equipped laptop.
Anyone else in the same boat?
Old 18th April 2016, 13:09   #2985
Distinguished - BHPian

Homepage for Firefox is set to the office intranet page.
When I open a new tab in Firefox when not being connected to the office network, I am taken to this URL:

http://domain-error.com/noresult.php#profile-data

But if I am connected to the intranet via VPN or in office, the homepage opens - I do not get this page.

I tried to search for this in the settings & even in registry, but do not find it this URL.

The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-firefox.jpg

Any idea what's happening ?

Last edited by condor : 18th April 2016 at 13:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks