Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 13:24   #2986
BHPian

re: The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Homepage for Firefox is set to the office intranet page.
When I open a new tab in Firefox when not being connected to the office network, I am taken to this URL:
Any idea what's happening ?
Not sure of Firefox. I normally get such errors when there is a spelling mistake in the URL, or when some other code overrides the defaults!
Old 18th April 2016, 14:08   #2987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I open a new tab in Firefox when not being connected to the office network, I am taken to this URL:

http://domain-error.com/noresult.php#profile-data

But if I am connected to the intranet via VPN or in office, the homepage opens - I do not get this page.

I tried to search for this in the settings & even in registry, but do not find it this URL.

Attachment 1498650

Looks like you have some malware on your machine. I'd suggest a scan with an antivirus/antimalware tool.
Old 18th April 2016, 15:40   #2988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
a. Something has changed Firefox's idea of what to do when it can't find the address you entered because it doesn't exist or because of a spelling mistake.

b. Something has changed your DNS to one that does hijacking (some ISPs even do this) when it can't resolve the name.

c. something else. Just a couple of possibilities from me!

I'd do the malware scan anyway.

I vaguely remember that, by default, FF redirects to a can't resolve page. But I changed that behaviour a long time back because it is so annoying. It will be somewhere in about:config, but I changed it using the Configuration Mania add-in. I think it is the item

Browser tab --> Other --> Display an error dialog when a page cannot be loaded

Correction: Firefox does not redirect, it gives "Server not found" but uses the whole window to do it. The above setting puts the same message in a pop-up dialogue, which I prefer.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th April 2016 at 15:48.
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:27   #2989
BHPian

Re: Screen Refresh Rate on a U90D monitor?

There is a clear flicker on the desktop monitor and when i try to change the 'screen refresh rate', can see it defaults to 'use hardware default setting' and is grayed out. This is on a hyundai U90D monitor of type 'Generic non-PnP Monitor'. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Is there any way we can change the 'screen refresh rate'?
Old 22nd April 2016, 17:25   #2990
Senior - BHPian

Re: Screen Refresh Rate on a U90D monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
There is a clear flicker on the desktop monitor and when i try to change the 'screen refresh rate', can see it defaults to 'use hardware default setting' and is grayed out. This is on a hyundai U90D monitor of type 'Generic non-PnP Monitor'. The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate.

Is there any way we can change the 'screen refresh rate'?
Try to find and install the pertinent drive. Without proper driver the OS will default to "generic" and most functions will not work.
Old 24th April 2016, 14:00   #2991
BHPian

I'm planning to upgrade my ancient PC. So far leaning towards Skylake Core i7 6700K on a somewhat basic H170 motherboard. Main reason is gaming, besides the usual desktop browsing and documents - very little if any video or photo editing. I am budget restricted so instead of more expensive Z170 boards , I'm leaning toward H170 ones.

I have read of the substrate being thinner, some CPUs ended up with the substrate bending or breaking due to the pressure from aftermarket cooler. Not sure if Intel has addressed this in later production, but I don't intend to overclock or use aftermarket cooler. Still, some knowledgeable people recommend I pick the Haswell Core i7 4790K. I know there's a bug in Skylake CPUs causing them to freeze doing certain scientific computations like Prime95 , Intel is/has rolled out updated BIOS firmware to fix this.

Is there any reason I should skip the Skylake chips ? I see Skylake as more future-prood since it has DDR4 and DX12, which Haswell chips do not support. Price-wise, the 4790K and 6700K are about INR 700 apart, not much.

Last edited by Ricci : 24th April 2016 at 14:02.
Old 31st May 2016, 05:10   #2992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
I'm planning to upgrade my ancient PC. So far leaning towards Skylake Core i7 6700K on a somewhat basic H170 motherboard. Main reason is gaming, besides the usual desktop browsing and documents - very little if any video or photo editing.
Is there any reason I should skip the Skylake chips ? I see Skylake as more future-prood since it has DDR4 and DX12, which Haswell chips do not support. Price-wise, the 4790K and 6700K are about INR 700 apart, not much.
Since you are not planning to overclock your CPU, then why are you going for the "K" series CPU? You can save some money by going for a "non-K" CPU( which cannot be overclocked)
Old 14th July 2016, 20:15   #2993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks, just ordered a NUC5i3RYH Box along with 8GB RAM and 240GB SSD. If that works fine, will order few more including a NUC5i5RYH..
Thanks Samu for the reassurance based on your user experience. I partially moved from my Apple days that lasted 5 years (MacBook Pro & iMac 21.5 inch) with nothing but a pleasant experience throughout. It helped me great in my photography related works. Now I am back to my original profession and I had to get back to Windows as most of the trading platforms are designed for Windows. I did not want to get a tower PC by any chance. Therefore started checking the Mini PC line up from Asus, IBM, Intel etc.

Got the Intel NUC 6i5 SYHL for its customization advantages.
What I put together:

1. Intel NUC 6i5 SYHL (i5 6260 U)
2. Corsair 16 GB DDR4 RAM
3. Intel 535 120 GB SSD
4. Windows 10 Home (original)
5. Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse (MK 260)
6. LG 29 inch LED monitor (UB67)
7. DP Cable

I did not go for a higher SSD as 4TB of portable drives are around.
Few days down, its a pleasant experience so far. No complaints.
I am missing Airmail, Pages, iTunes and Boom very badly, so ordered a MacBook Air to separate my communication, messengers etc. from workstation and to support work flow while travelling !
Attaching an image to show my set up ! Pilot pen is kept for size reference. Its mounted on the desk panel behind the monitor, so its completely hidden now.
The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread-intelnuc.jpg
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:23   #2994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks Samu for the reassurance based on your user experience. I partially moved from my Apple days that lasted 5 years
Wow, the whole setup looks so much sophisticated and neat. My next desktop upgrade is surely going to be a NUC. Could you please also mention the prices? Thanks
Old 4th August 2016, 22:32   #2995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Since you are not planning to overclock your CPU, then why are you going for the "K" series CPU? You can save some money by going for a "non-K" CPU( which cannot be overclocked)
I have assembled my rig (2 months in), the reasoning behind choosing 6700K is that it is likely to be better binned than the 6700 (non-K), thus offering better reliability/longer life with the option to overclock if I felt like it , and yes, I got a Z170 board too, decided to burn a more cash than originally budgeted. Running good so far.
Old 5th August 2016, 02:48   #2996
BHPian

Quote:

http://domain-error.com/noresult.php#profile-data

But if I am connected to the intranet via VPN or in office, the homepage opens - I do not get this page.

I tried to search for this in the settings & even in registry, but do not find it this URL.

Not sure, but try this

In the Firefox address bar, type about:config, it will give a prompt about warranty blah blah, click on "I'll be careful, I promise!"

In the new window, type tab in the search bar, if there is any website link under value column except https://tiles.services.mozilla.com/..../, right click on it, select reset

Keep us posted on how this goes

Edit:
Oops, just realized that the post is from April. Mods, you can delete this.

Last edited by Astonite : 5th August 2016 at 02:50. Reason: Replied for a old post
Old 5th August 2016, 09:20   #2997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
Not sure, but try this

Keep us posted on how this goes

Edit:
Oops, just realized that the post is from April. Mods, you can delete this.
That;s ok ! But thanks - will try it next time it happens. Got a different laptop after that, and have not seen this again.
Old 5th August 2016, 09:32   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
That;s ok ! But thanks - will try it next time it happens. Got a different laptop after that, and have not seen this again.
Cheers. That was probably a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) or remnants of one such program.

Trust me, these can be a huge pain in the wrong place. I'm working for a security software company and been a part of the tech support team in the past, I've suffered a lot (mentally) removing them.

Earlier, many security software will not flag these as infections as many of its customers install them voluntarily and few love them as well unless you're using a dedicated program just to scan such threats

Now the trend is changing and the software detects them as infection but the database of programs that they have is peanuts compared to the number of programs doing rounds online

Last edited by Astonite : 5th August 2016 at 09:35. Reason: Changed wrong smileys
Old 11th August 2016, 12:45   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunnabhaiMBBS View Post
Wow, the whole setup looks so much sophisticated and neat. My next desktop upgrade is surely going to be a NUC. Could you please also mention the prices? Thanks
Sorry for the delay, I did not get your notification as usual quoted replies.

Entire set up costed me 94500. I am not finding the bill but it includes the following things:

1. Intel NUC 6i5 SYHL
2. 16 GB RAM
3. 120 GB SSD
4. Logitech Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse
5. Windows 10 original (pen drive)
6. LG 29 UB67 widescreen

Number 5 can be a saving if someone is going for a copy.
Number 6 can be a saving if bought from Paytm. They were offering almost Rs.7000 as cash back at that time. But it takes almost a week for delivery. I opted for a single seller at SP Road so that everything is set at one go. Free Home Delivery and DP cable was complimentary
Old 13th August 2016, 19:39   #3000
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I need some help building a PC but Ive been out of touch with my hardware knowledge so I need a bit of help as Im getting a bit confused.

The PC is required for designing in ExoCAD, a Dental version of CAD. Budget is around 70K all inclusive, monitor, Windows etc

A decent Processor and Graphics card is a must. Previous Gen hardware is also fine.

The recommended hardware is as follows from the softwares website

CPU : i7 2600
RAM : 6 GB
GPU : GTX 560
Windows 7 64 BIT

Can you guys give me a complete set of hardware that is atleast a bit above this ?
RAM I would prefer 8GB+, monitor 20in+ 1080p, HDD, maybe 120GB SSD for OS and 1TB for storage.
Appreciate any help TBHP can give

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks