Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:15   #8206
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, Plasma, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Nothing IMO. One can always add a cheap Android Box later on if one really finds the need to make their TV smart. I, for one, have never used any of the smart features on my TV, apart from doing very light browsing once in a blue moon.
I agree. Any extra feature in a TV will be more expensive than a stand alone external box. You can always add an external box for
. Content management. This will enable you to read from various sources all which may not be supported by the TV. In case a new source emerges, all that is required is to upgrade/replace the box (and not the TV)

. Smart features - Android, Internet etc. Again these are better implemented in an external box. Any future enhancement will require replacement of the box an not the TV.

In general the extra features provided by the TV manufacturer cost any where between 2 to 5 times that of an external box.
Old 3rd October 2016, 10:15   #8207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
One final query - any difference between android tv and smart tv? Or both are same.
Smart TV is the nomenclature used for all the TVs which has software with different apps and USB access interface etc.
Different Companies use different software. Like LG uses WebOS, Samsung has now shifted to Tizen and Sony is now using Android on some high end models.

In my opinion, Android TV will be better supported by Google in future.
WebOS has fantastic user interface and is supported by LG quite good.
I don't like interface of samsung Tizen / earlier proprietary software for some usability reasons .. for example if you are playing your content from usb and you need to switch to different source like HDMI in between.
Now if you want to go back to usb content again, you need to go through complete process of usb access and browsing through all the folders.
In LG, in usb interface, you have option of 'recent' where you directly see your few last played files so you don't need to browse through all the folders again to play last file.

rest depends on personal taste.

Last edited by Nicky : 3rd October 2016 at 10:39.
Old 3rd October 2016, 12:57   #8208
Senior - BHPian

And what about watching SD channels on a full HD TV?

Even if I upgrade to Tata Sky HD after buying a new HDTV LED, they will provide me hardly 20-30 channels (of my use) in HD quality.

My current 10 year old Sony Bravia LCD supports SD only.
Old 4th October 2016, 07:05   #8209
BHPian

Hi folks,

For a viewing distance of max 8ft, what is the ideal size of the LED tv (Full HD) should be? I checked various sites online, but have not been able to come to a conclusion since some say 43' is good enough, while some sites suggest 49'-50', going up all the way to 55'. When I watched the TVs in a Croma store, even some 43' TVs didn't look that crisp playing TataSky HD channels.
Old 4th October 2016, 09:50   #8210
BHPian

Quote:
You can watch SD channels on full HD. But quality varies from TV to TV, as to which TV upscales the content better.

I have full HD Samsung 55 inch and i watch SD channels (specially SAB Channel and my kid watches cartoon channels). Quality is acceptable.
Old 4th October 2016, 10:03   #8211
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Even if I upgrade to Tata Sky HD after buying a new HDTV LED, they will provide me hardly 20-30 channels (of my use) in HD quality.

My current 10 year old Sony Bravia LCD supports SD only.
There will be a noticeable difference in quality even on non-HD channels once you have the Tata Sky HD box.

On the regular non-HD box, an analog signal is sent through from the box to the TV; however, on the HD box, a digital signal is sent via the HDMI cable.

Sure, there aren't that many HD channels currently but the cost of upgrading to the HD subscription isn't that high.
Old 4th October 2016, 10:56   #8212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
There will be a noticeable difference in quality even on non-HD channels once you have the Tata Sky HD box.

On the regular non-HD box, an analog signal is sent through from the box to the TV; however, on the HD box, a digital signal is sent via the HDMI cable.

Sure, there aren't that many HD channels currently but the cost of upgrading to the HD subscription isn't that high.
I agree. The Tata Sky HD box gives much crisper images. My suggestion is to go for the HD+ (recording) box. The price difference is minimal and the buffer of 1hr+ (or recording) is extremely useful. We normally record major programs of interest and watch them at our leisure.

Regarding SD on HD TV, you have option of either maintaining the aspect ratio (the sides are left blank) or of stretching the image to fill the screen.
Old 4th October 2016, 11:42   #8213
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I am on a lookout for a 32" TV for my fathers bedroom. Have decided to go for VU.

I have two options here

1. A full HD, but not smart TV, costing ~ 14k. (EDIT: Price increased to 17k)
2. A full HD smart TV, costing ~ 20k

Both the above are prices on Flipkart and that is where I intend to buy them from.

Query being, if I buy the non-smart version and add chrome cast, I can still use the smart TV features? My dad intends to use the cast screen/screen mirroring frequently + he has started liking watching stuff on YouTube.

Our Sony in the living room is a smart TV and he can quite easily do these on it. Will it be as easy by adding the Chromecast on the non-smart TV?

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th October 2016 at 11:44.
Old 4th October 2016, 21:59   #8214
Senior - BHPian

No, its one thing to have native features and anther to try and get them via chromecast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Will it be as easy by adding the Chromecast on the non-smart TV?
Old 6th October 2016, 21:14   #8215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I am on a lookout for a 32" TV for my fathers bedroom. Have decided to go for VU.

I have two options here

Both the above are prices on Flipkart and that is where I intend to buy them from.

Query being, if I buy the non-smart version and add chrome cast, I can still use the smart TV features? My dad intends to use the cast screen/screen mirroring frequently + he has started liking watching stuff on YouTube.
I have not used Chromecast but I have a Smart TV and planning to buy a Chromecast in future.

Chromecast does have an advantage. For example, you can cast your Jio Live app using Google cast (as reported by some members) to your non-smart TV's Chromecast.
You cannot do that with a Smart TV (unless it is also running Android).

Members can correct me if I am wrong.
Old 8th October 2016, 12:24   #8216
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

I have two options here

Our Sony in the living room is a smart TV and he can quite easily do these on it. Will it be as easy by adding the Chromecast on the non-smart TV?
Look at the Sanyo range on Amazon.in as well - backed up by Panasonic.
Old 8th October 2016, 13:49   #8217
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
No, its one thing to have native features and anther to try and get them via chromecast.
I don't see why he cannot do that. The very objective of chromecast was to add smart tv features to a regular tv. The only requirement was to have a spare hdmi and a usb port.
Old 8th October 2016, 14:22   #8218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I don't see why he cannot do that. The very objective of chromecast was to add smart tv features to a regular tv. The only requirement was to have a spare hdmi and a usb port.
+1 to that. "Native" smart tvs are often poor in reality, even though good on paper. With chromecast, at least we get what we pay for.
Old 8th October 2016, 20:20   #8219
Senior - BHPian

Please advise from where to buy the TV?

Offline stores or Online?

I have shortlisted this model of Sony-https://www.flipkart.com/sony-bravia...e2bb13e2942f4b

Online it is for 48k(The same was for 45k during big billion sale-but I thought the rates will continue to be same till diwali), while offline stores retailing it for Rs. 51k!

Also regarding the model - your suggestions please.

I am planning to finalize the purchase tomorrow.

EDIT - Please also let me know if refresh rate should also be considered while making a decision? 60Hz refresh rate vs 200 hz?

Last edited by bluevolt : 8th October 2016 at 20:29.
Old 9th October 2016, 21:32   #8220
BHPian

Quote:
Please advise from where to buy the TV?

Offline stores or Online?

Online it is for 48k(The same was for 45k during big billion sale-but I thought the rates will continue to be same till diwali), while offline stores retailing it for Rs. 51k!
If the difference is just couple of grands, I would prefer offline.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks