Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2017, 00:18   #8341
JLS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How do you download apps on the tv?

I see that there is a website that LG has for apps on tv: http://www.lgappstv.com/appspc/main/...ationSelect.do

But the moment I click India as the region, it says that there is no such website for India and that I should download apps directly on the tv. But I barely see some 5-6 apps on the tv.
There is an option of LG content store. You can update / install apps from there I believe.
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:57   #8342
BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

We're having trouble with our 3.5yrs old Samsung 40" LED TV. About 1/3rd of the display seems blackish. Tried changing all the channels. But, the issue seems consistent throughout.

The TV was purchased in Thailand and we have been running it directly from the mains without a stabilizer (or) a surge protector.

What could be the reason? Please help.
Old 4th March 2017, 12:38   #8343
ZMG
BHPian

My Sony Bravis EX52 40" which is about 5 years old has suddenly started showing some vertical lines when I switch it on.
Also the screen looks yellow.
However these lines go away in about 20 seconds and then the tv works normally.
Anyone else has faced this issue?The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.-unadjustednonraw_thumb_367c.jpg
Old 5th March 2017, 09:38   #8344
BHPian

The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
My Sony Bravis EX52 40" which is about 5 years old has suddenly started showing some vertical lines
Call Sony service and you should get a reasonable price for fix. This is because they do component level fixes unlike few other brands I know of. My Sony LCD had reddish tint and image scrolling and got fixed for 1200rs
Old 5th March 2017, 12:02   #8345
ZMG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Call Sony service and you should get a reasonable price for fix. This is because they do component level fixes unlike few other brands I know of. My Sony LCD had reddish tint and image scrolling and got fixed for 1200rs
Oh okay..
I was reading about this on the internet, and in international markets, this seems to be a common problem with Sony bravia EX52.

I have another 32" EX52. Hope that does not develop this. Fingers crossed.

I thought products like Sony would run forever for the premium we pay for it.

As a personal view, I feel it has become better to buy cheaper LED tvs like Vu, Micromax etc and be prepared to change them every 5 years.

For good movie viewing experience, if you have the space, new HD projectors are the way to go.

Thanks
Old 9th March 2017, 14:27   #8346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
We're having trouble with our 3.5yrs old Samsung 40" LED TV. About 1/3rd of the display seems blackish. Tried changing all the channels. But, the issue seems consistent throughout.

The TV was purchased in Thailand and we have been running it directly from the mains without a stabilizer (or) a surge protector.

OK - I didn't get any response for my above post.

Looks like the TV had reached end of its life. So the service engineer suggested us to change the TV instead of spending 20K on the LED panel replacement.

So, we replaced our Samsung 40" SMART LED TV with a Samsung 43" LED TV last week.
Old 9th March 2017, 15:11   #8347
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post

I dont know what is wrong with your tv, but my samsung 42 plasma went kerplunk because of using no surge protection or backup power. Took 8k to fix outside samsung, but that and the new sony I got now run on a ups. Power outages and fluctuations tend to blow out TVs most easily, it seems,
Old 9th March 2017, 16:27   #8348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Anyone else has faced this issue?
I faced a different issue with Sony Bravia 32inch one. BX300 if i remember the model right. The screen film started peeling off and the images were not viewable. Raised the issue with Sony via multiple channels, finally they fixed the screen free of cost. Paid for transport, which was Rs 1500 or so. And the product was out of warranty.
Old 10th March 2017, 11:37   #8349
BHPian

Re: Surge Protector for TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I dont know what is wrong with your tv, but my samsung 42 plasma went kerplunk because of using no surge protection or backup power. Took 8k to fix outside samsung, but that and the new sony I got now run on a ups. Power outages and fluctuations tend to blow out TVs most easily, it seems,
My TV(Panasonic Plasma 50"/350W) is behind a UPS Inverter (Sukam Smiley 1400VA). So, would my TV require a surge protector, between Inverter and TV OR does the inverter, protects it from unclean power supply?

Please advise.
Old 27th March 2017, 12:07   #8350
Distinguished - BHPian

I connected this to my dumb 43" Sony TV.
First thing I put in was Amazon Prime, and the TV has been on since Saturday morning. I managed to find Wolverine and the X Men finally, and been watching a plethora of other shows and movies. Some web browsing, a little you tube. I think for 4 grand extra for the device, there is no need for a smart TV anymore.
Old 27th March 2017, 18:07   #8351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I connected this to my dumb 43" Sony TV.
First thing I put in was Amazon Prime, and the TV has been on since Saturday morning. I managed to find Wolverine and the X Men finally, and been watching a plethora of other shows and movies. Some web browsing, a little you tube. I think for 4 grand extra for the device, there is no need for a smart TV anymore.
How is the picture quality? I hooked a MK802 IV to my TV some time back, and the pic and audio quality was bad.
Old 27th March 2017, 18:35   #8352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

How is the picture quality? I hooked a MK802 IV to my TV some time back, and the pic and audio quality was bad.
Picture quality is as good as the HD transmission on the Tatasky. I'm inclined to think it's better. 100% recommended.
Old 28th March 2017, 14:37   #8353
BHPian

LG, Samsung, Sony cut TV prices by 15% to take on Micromax, TCL, BPL & Sansui

Todays news on Economic times.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/57867215.cms
Hopefully prices will fall.
Old 29th March 2017, 14:30   #8354
BANNED

Guys, need some serious counseling.

My current one is 2009 bought 22 inch HD LG LCD. Running fine and smooth and zero issues all these years, even I don't remember when last I switch it off from main power. With twin 15W inbuilt speakers (300W PMPO), sound is so good. The remote still runs on original batteries that came 9 years back. This TV is like a Maruti 800 for me.

But, suddenly there is a force from home department to go for a bigger screen and I am so disconnect from recent technology on TV. Going through last 10 or so pages in this thread I got more confused.

All that I gather:
  • Now a days, TVs are really fragile and unreliable
  • Smart TVs are no go area.
  • Can't really play Amazon prime out of box in any of the humanly priced product
  • They use mice in place of speakers, sound bars are must to be able to listen to TV
  • A 20K home grown brand has a life up to 3 years and so is Sony/Samsung/LG. (Really???, moderators should allow more than 2 smiles in exceptional cases like this, please)
What I was thinking of, to chalk out my requirements:
  • Need a TV that looks like a TV, 32 inch or may be 40/43 inch, not a inch more than that.
  • TV running around 4-5 hours a day, but we are lazy people and TVs are switched of from remote and not from mains.
  • If I can mirror videos from my mobile (android phones) I am bought, can I mirror amazon prime things running on iPad
  • 5-6 years of life that I should expect at least and I hate calling customer support or service guys, that means it should run with zero issues till it stays with me
  • I don't have space to keep a sound bar, but I have a Herman blue-tooth speaker which I can use if possible. So it sould support blue-tooth speaker as plug in or must have good in-built speakers.
  • I can max spend up to 40K, 10% up and down.
Am I expecting too much? Is there a TV that is there for me ?

And lastly, what should I do to my Maruti 800, I mean my current tv?
Old 30th March 2017, 23:51   #8355
Senior - BHPian

I am facing the following problem with our LG LED TV 47".
Can experts please tell me what is the problem and cause behind it? I guess the TV is 3-4 years old (Don't remember).

If the speed of playback is less than normal, it's because I recorded it using slow motion option on Moto G4.

Most Viewed