Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 12:52   #1561
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

God!! Going through some of the posts here, esp about our great Indian posts & things...I'm now really scared to order anything!!

Last month we ordered few set of riding gears from MotorcycleGear running into few 10000's & in flat 10 days we got our shipments. I'm now trying to imagine the worst...what could've happened if we didn't get our goods!!

Butterflies in stomach!!

Thanks to have suggested http://www.oznium.com/
Old 7th July 2014, 16:25   #1562
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
God!! Going through some of the posts here, esp about our great Indian posts & things...I'm now really scared to order anything!!
If you can, do make sure that the seller uses a reputed courier. It's advisable to even pay extra (if necessary) in order to avail this option. A good parcel delivery service with a tracking number (& SMS/e-mail updates if possible) should not give you any cause for worry. If the item is of very high worth, it's also better to get it insured.

Cash-on-delivery would be the safest option (if available, that is).

Please avoid the notoriously unreliable India Post at all costs (unless the item is of very little worth, monetarily and otherwise). Even their Speed Post cannot be trusted.
Old 7th July 2014, 17:04   #1563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
If you can, do make sure that the seller uses a reputed courier. It's advisable to even pay extra (if necessary) in order to avail this option. A good parcel delivery service with a tracking number (& SMS/e-mail updates if possible) should not give you any cause for worry. If the item is of very high worth, it's also better to get it insured.

Cash-on-delivery would be the safest option (if available, that is).

Please avoid the notoriously unreliable India Post at all costs (unless the item is of very little worth, monetarily and otherwise). Even their Speed Post cannot be trusted.
I conur with this. Especially when the seller says "free shipping", expect them ship through shady ones like DTDC. DTDC never delivers on time, and often shows "Out for Delivery" for days altogether. You have to call them up, only to find out that they have misplaced the package. Before buying, it is better to contact the seller and make sure that they are shipping via reputed services like Bluedart, fedEx etc.
Old 11th July 2014, 16:41   #1564
t18
BHPian

Does anybody have any experience with http://www.smartbuyglasses.co.in/? I couldn't register on their site, so I emailed them regarding it. They asked me to buy without registering. When I go to the payment page the Rupees convert to Dollars. Is it safe buying from this site?
Old 11th July 2014, 20:01   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
I have ordered from AliExpress twice in recent times (5K & 3K worth items) and it was promptly delivered by India Post without any delays.

Last edited by null : 11th July 2014 at 20:19.
Old 11th July 2014, 21:13   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post

I have ordered from AliExpress twice in recent times (5K & 3K worth items) and it was promptly delivered by India Post without any delays.
India post will try to deliver once.
If they miss you at home, they'll pick a piece of paper near your gate and write a phone number, and tell you to contact the post office.
God forbid you throw that piece of paper away after noting the number. It becomes an official document. Then you have to go to the post office and listen to a diatribe, as if they are working for charity.
If you don't get there in 7 days, your package goes to some unclaimed department thingy. Forget about seeing you package again once this happens.
Old 11th July 2014, 21:18   #1567
Team-BHP Support

Got an agricultural compression sprayer (link) from an online tool retailer (www.mrthomas.in) and it was a good experience. They were prompt in communication (I wanted to know if they had the sprayer in stock so sent them a mail and got a response almost instantly) and shipment (purchased it last Friday and it was shipped the next day via First Flight).

The only gripe was regarding the pricing part - the MRP mentioned on the cover (they source these sprayers from Kass) was lower than what was charged in the invoice but then I checked eBay and some other links if a 2L sprayer was available for a cheaper rate. Couldn't find any leads. They retail some home and professional tools as well.

Quote:
I suppose India Post's consistency and reliability varies from place to place. The first good experience I had was when I sent a pair of defective computer RAM sticks to Taiwan for Rs. 163 via Speed Post. DHL had quoted north of 3k for that! The sticks reached the consignee in 6 days.

I have received Aliexpress and eBay consignments from China (China Post hands it over to India Post) and Germany (Deutsche Post > India Post) without facing absolutely any issues. Customs duties were levied on one shipment from China due to the weight and nature of the consignment but it was cleared in about 20 days and I received it in shipshape.
Old 12th July 2014, 15:05   #1568
BHPian

Quote:

That's encouraging, what was the total duration from order to possession, on trial I have ordered minor items but the tow rope would be heavy

The concern is that I can't get a detailed tracking status from the given awe of China Post

If this goes well, I am already working on my wish list

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 12th July 2014, 16:37   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
..what was the total duration from order to possession, on trial I have ordered minor items but the tow rope would be heavy. The concern is that I can't get a detailed tracking status from the given awe of China Post..
The one from China took almost 40 days to arrive. The shipper will usually give the link to track your shipment from China. Once it reaches India, you can track on India Post as well (http://ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ - infact it shows the tracking from the origin itself, but with a delayed update from what I recollect).

The recent one, battery for my netbook (60 USD) was ordered on AliExpress towards end of june (26th I think), was shipped from Singapore on 30th June and the battery was delivered on 9th July. Even this was trackable on IPS Web from begin to end.
Old 12th July 2014, 17:17   #1570
Senior - BHPian

I always use India Post to send out sunglasses to Middle East and Europe. All reach on time and is cheapest. Only sore is tracking is not available for some regions.
The boxes they give me are neat and tidy and quite strong.
As someone said, I think the Postal Department attitude and functioning vary across regions.
Old 12th July 2014, 18:36   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone bought anything from this site:

http://www.sbkstore.in/

Prices are on the higher side but that seems like an Indian standard. Any reviews on the delivery etc.?
Old 12th July 2014, 20:18   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
The one from China took almost 40 days to arrive. The shipper will usually give the link to track your shipment from China. Once it reaches India, you can track on India Post as well (http://ipsweb.ptcmysore.gov.in/ - infact it shows the tracking from the origin itself, but with a delayed update from what I recollect).

The recent one, battery for my netbook (60 USD) was ordered on AliExpress towards end of june (26th I think), was shipped from Singapore on 30th June and the battery was delivered on 9th July. Even this was trackable on IPS Web from begin to end.

Thanks Dear for the Indian link, I could trace it, super impressive, check the shipment progress below

Lost the formatting, don't know how to take screen shots on a iPad

-------

7/4/2014 3:03:00 PM HONG KONG Receive item from customer (Otb) Air unknown

7/8/2014 5:24:00 PM HONG KONG HONG KONG AIR MAIL CENTRE Insert item into bag (Otb) Air unknown
7/9/2014 10:31:59 AM INDIA MUMBAI AIR Receive item at office of exchange (Inb) Air MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
7/9/2014 10:42:21 AM INDIA MUMBAI AIR Send item to customs (Inb) Air MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE
7/10/2014 2:51:56 PM INDIA MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Return item from customs (Inb) Air MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE
7/10/2014 4:12:12 PM INDIA MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Send item to domestic location (Inb) Air CRC PUNE RMS

Old 12th July 2014, 21:05   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
Lost the formatting, don't know how to take screen shots on a iPad
Off topic, press the home and power buttons together.
Old 12th July 2014, 21:41   #1574
BHPian

Anyone tried FabFurnish?? Feedback on quality, services, etc.
Looking to get a large coffee table .. prices (after discount) look good.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:45   #1575
BHPian

Guys,

Any reviews on crossword.in, landmarkonthenet ?

Found a couple of books in there which I cannot find anywhere else. Wanted to have your reviews if any purchases are done.

Thanks a ton

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks