Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:37   #1531
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
I have not considered suing Blue Dart
Btw, I was not advising you; I was just responding to a hypothetical question that saket77 had posted. I hadn't even read through your problem statement till now. :-)
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:59   #1532
BHPian

Re: Items stolen from a UK "Royal Mail Signed For" parcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The parcel entered India at Delhi, where it was stuck for some time and probably the location of the crime, and then forwarded to Cochin and then to TVM.

Since the UK retailer was a reputed shop they refunded the total cost when i informed them of what had happened with the parcel. They have lodged a complaint with Royal Mail and i had lodged a complaint with our Postal department regarding this. I received a reply from Assistant Director (CS) of Kerala Circle that the complaint has been forwarded to Supdt of PO, TVM for further investigation and a further reply from them can be expected.
From what I know, any shipment which lands with our postal department will land at the international post office, and would need to be custom cleared. Here the package is inspected and then forwarded to the respective addresses. I have been to this office in Delhi, and the whole processes leaves a lot to be desired. Luckily for me since I had gone there in person and also engaged an agent(after a couple of futile trips on my own), I did not miss anything other than a cable, and a damaged packing. Subsequent to this, I have had all important shipments through couriers and the not so important ones, through the regular posts!!

The best course would be to follow up with the postal authorities, and wishing you good luck.
Old 2nd July 2014, 18:20   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
...they have closed the dispute in the bank's favour stating that the transaction in question was genuine and that they cannot be held responsible for non-delivery of goods.
Hmmm...Looking closely I believe it is PaisaPay's responsibility to ensure you get either the item you ordered or a refund.

http://pages.ebay.in/ebayexplained/paisapay.html

PaisaPay and eBay Buyer Protection Program are obligated to pay the seller only after the item is confirmed to be delivered.

From your screenshot, it is clear that the item was never shipped. Social media can help your matter here. Also try emailing higher up folks at eBay.in with that screenshot.

I'm no lawyer either, but regarding being innocent until proven guilty, the onus here may be on eBay, who accepted payment but failed to deliver the goods. Nemo cannot prove that he in fact did not receive the package. But eBay can (if it really happened) that the package was delivered.

If a social media outcry doesn't solve your problem, hire a lawyer. I'm pretty sure (again, I'm not a lawyer) there is a breach of contract and an intention to defraud you. Be mentally prepared to wait a long time before seeing any results. Don't settle for a refund or new phone. Go for a bigger settlement.

Quote:
I have not considered suing Blue Dart
IMHO you don't really have any proof to go against them. If eBay/seller provided a tracking number, then possibly you could fight with them, but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Either way, don't burn that bridge yet, it is better to have them on your side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
What if the courier delivery guys or anyone else just puts your initials on the delivery receipt paper that they carry and take your stuff?
The company knows that employees making a quick buck would irreversibly tarnish their reputation and take strict actions if such incidents are reported. And I don't think initials qualify as signature, so they still can't prove they delivered the parcel to you, failing which they would have to return it to seller. The same protection applies when you refuse to accept/sign in case of a tampered package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
When I opened the parcel to my horror I found that the items had been stolen and in its place some plastic packing materials and a Hindi pamphlet was stuffed into.
Custom officials have the right to open up a package and inspect the items to ensure they are not contraband and that they are not undervalued/misrepresented. This puts them in the unique position of opportunistic theft without facing consequences. They just claim that's how the package arrived.
This is why international parcels should be insured if it contains any "attractive" items.

A friend made the mistake of leaving his electronic stuff (phone, camera, tablet) in his checked luggage while returning from Bangkok. It was his first trip by flight and thought it would be safer. Upon arrival, airport first claimed the bag with the valuables hadn't arrived yet, and it could be arranged to be delivered to his home when it does. Later he gets the bag and it has clearly been tampered with the locks broken and gadgets missing.

Airports have X ray machines that can "see" if there are any "attractive" stuff in the baggage, and if so, they conveniently go missing. Destination claims departure airport messed up, and vice versa. Long story short, some custom/airport employees are crooks and steal your valuables. Others are honest and just reseal the package with "India Post" cello tape.

Only time I had to visit the Customs Office was to deal with a missing invoice. Just hand delivered a print out of the same, and it was smooth sailing.

PS: If you are shipping/receiving expensive stuff (domestic or international), always ensure the package is insured. Saves you a ton of headache.

PS 2: I'm sure most of you do it already, but while flying, take anything you don't want to get stolen/lost in to the cabin as carry on baggage instead of checking it in
Old 2nd July 2014, 20:02   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Ebay India has been deteriorating in its services and the last experience left a very bad taste, so much that i will never use ebay for my future purchases.
I had ordered a VW rcd 510 audio player from ebay for my Vento but upon arrival, i found the unit was a used one and it was not even working properly.

Opened a ebay guarantee claim, ebay took its own sweet 2 weeks to approve the refund after tons of mails and call and promised me that the shipping cost i incurred which was roughly 700 to reship the item back to seller would be covered under ebay guarantee and i will get a coupon for the same amount.

Its been 2 months and have not received any coupon, called them multiple times, even mailed them but no response. Seems as if they dont want to refund the shipping cost and am fine with their poor service, i will not become poor with a lost 700 but ebay india has lost a customer for life - poor customer care, try calling them and the wait time is 20-25 mins every day with no resolution.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:00   #1535
BHPian

After seeing lots of negative feedback on Fragrances area on flipkart, I did an order just to verify why they have these high discount sales.Ordered one top brand product which got delivered within 2 days.
On checking the packaging, I noticed a sticker by the importer which says prodcut was imported on Aug 2012 and expiry date of 2017.
So, they are doing an old stock clearence. :(

When I did a decoding of batch number on the bottom of bottles, it shows the manufacturing date as end of 2011. So, they are clearing out 3 year old products.

The products seems original, but being 3 year old, the fragrance doesn't last for long hours. I think flipkart should clearly mention this on Fragrances page than getting more -ve feedbacks and dissatisfied users.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:04   #1536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
On checking the packaging, I noticed a sticker by the importer which says product was imported on Aug 2012 and expiry date of 2017.
So, they are doing an old stock clearance. :(
If that is the reason for negative feedbacks, I think the customers are being a bit harsh on the seller. Though a little old, but the product is well within the expiry date and should be as good if not better.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:29   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
If that is the reason for negative feedbacks, I think the customers are being a bit harsh on the seller. Though a little old, but the product is well within the expiry date and should be as good if not better.
I don't fully agree to this. They are selling "old" products. The fine print on flipkart claims that they sell only "New and 100% genuine" products.
The sticker is by exporter. If you read articles on perfumes, the normal shell life is of 30-36 months. So a 3 year old fragrance is almost an expired product.

I think normally all big brands discrad those products after reaching this shell life. Here some companies are doing a clearance sale with 40-60% discount.

If their fragrance page mention this "old stock-near expiry " fact as a fine print, I'll support FK. Otherwise, this is a bad practice. People buy branded fragrances for their quality and long lasting fragrance.When they sell items with heavy discount without mentioning this fact, they are cheating those middle class generation who run beind brands.

I'm sure 1000s of people are rushing to these fragrance sale, due to the brands they sell at near 50% discount.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:38   #1538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't fully agree to this. They are selling "old" products. The fine print on flipkart claims that they sell only "New and 100% genuine" products.
I would suppose that 'New' here means unused and '100% genuine' is self explanatory. Agree that there can be differences in how one perceives the word 'New'.

Quote:
The sticker is by exporter. If you read articles on perfumes, the normal shell life is of 30-36 months. So a 3 year old fragrance is almost an expired product.
I am not much into buying perfumes, hence I may not be correct on the shelf life of perfumes, but I thought that the expiry was mentioned sometime in 2017.

May be you can try talking to the seller directly and ask if there is a new stock available and if he can exchange the product. Explain your predication that how it is not much effective.

Last edited by saket77 : 3rd July 2014 at 12:40.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:39   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I think normally all big brands discrad those products after reaching this shell life. Here some companies are doing a clearance sale with 40-60% discount.

If their fragrance page mention this "old stock-near expiry " fact as a fine print, I'll support FK. Otherwise, this is a bad practice. People buy branded fragrances for their quality and long lasting fragrance.When they sell items with heavy discount without mentioning this fact, they are cheating those middle class generation who run beind brands.

I'm sure 1000s of people are rushing to these fragrance sale, due to the brands they sell at near 50% discount.
Not sure if this would be the case. I have a 5 year old Joop Green and the scent has not deteriorated much (or not at all, I can not tell)
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:59   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
I would suppose that 'New' here means unused and '100% genuine' is self explanatory. Agree that there can be differences in how one perceives the word 'New'.

I am not much into buying perfumes, hence I may not be correct on the shelf life of perfumes, but I thought that the expiry was mentioned sometime in 2017.

May be you can try talking to the seller directly and ask if there is a new stock available and if he can exchange the product. Explain your predication that how it is not much effective.
the expiry sticker is by importer ,not by company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not sure if this would be the case. I have a 5 year old Joop Green and the scent has not deteriorated much (or not at all, I can not tell)
The shelf life of most perfume, from production date, and if stored properly, is a maximum of 3 to 5 years.erfumes with higher content of essential oils have a longer shelf life, due to less fatty acids . (All from internet Gyan ).Definitley there will be long lasting cases, due to higher quality.

Anyway, if you go through the fragnace section of flipkart and read the 1 or 2 star feedbacks from certified buyers, you will see the short duration complaint from all of them(2-3 hours) against the standard 6-8 hours for the ones they bought from shops, or markets outside India.

Most of the users suspect it as duplicate.What I felt is, it may not be duplicate, but near end of life product.
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:00   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Tricky situation - I placed an order for a belt from myntra couple of days back and discount available was 20%. I opted for cash on delivery option and they already shipped the item. I checked the belt price today and see that discount increased to 40%. I wrote an email to their customer care regarding this and they will take atleast 12 hours to get back to me. What should I do, take delivery and forget about the additional discount?
Take the delivery, forget about the additional discount.

Think it like this: What is the prices increased after you bought it? Would you pay the differential? I do not think so.

I have had such a situation.
Bought something off Fabfurnish and the discount coupon used was 25%. Later there was a 30% discount and the order was still under 'processing'. This is just pure luck.

On my recent Online Purchases:

1. New Daddy, so a lot of infant goods - Diapers, clothes, pillow, quilt etc have been bought. Amazon is surprisingly offering great discounts on them, great deals there.
2. Moto G from Flipkart with additional cashback - Great Deal and Good Service.
3. Furniture from Fabfurnish - some great offers going on with additional discounts ranging between 20 to 30%. Have bought them, yet to be shipped. Once I receive it, will provide a review.
4. Myntra - Clothes - Astounding service. I mean these guys are Fast! Though I don't really appreciate returning items and sometimes clothes simply do not turn out what you saw in the website.
5. Flipkart - Shoes. Some great discounts on Nike. Bought with caution but turned out pretty well.

I have off late avoided ebay, simply as the hassle of returning a bad item is simply too much. Though one can buy low value items with fair confidence.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 3rd July 2014 at 13:09. Reason: Adding Further info
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:11   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the expiry sticker is by importer ,not by company.

The shelf life of most perfume, from production date, and if stored properly, is a maximum of 3 to 5 years.erfumes with higher content of essential oils have a longer shelf life, due to less fatty acids . (All from internet Gyan ).Definitley there will be long lasting cases, due to higher quality.

Anyway, if you go through the fragnace section of flipkart and read the 1 or 2 star feedbacks from certified buyers, you will see the short duration complaint from all of them(2-3 hours) against the standard 6-8 hours for the ones they bought from shops, or markets outside India.

Most of the users suspect it as duplicate.What I felt is, it may not be duplicate, but near end of life product.
This is true even from my experience. The Davidoff Coolwater I bought online was mild with some notes missing and had 2 hours max staying power.So it is always better to buy perfumes from authorized stores though their prices are much higher. Also if you use the perfume sparingly better to go for smaller bottles.
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:16   #1543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

Think it like this: What is the prices increased after you bought it? Would you pay the differential? I do not think so.
Happened to me while transacting with Snapdeal. Ordered a USB modem and they sent me a wi-fi adapter. I requested for replacement. By the time, they shipped the replacement, i.e.. the USB modem, the price was a little lower than when I had originally ordered. However small, the differential amount was credited to my Snapdeal a/c (forgot the exact name), which I could realize later during my purchases.
Old 3rd July 2014, 13:32   #1544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Difference is around ₹400, customer care executive suggested me to refuse delivery and place a fresh order.

NB: Once I placed an order for a watch from amazon.com, next day I saw an offer (free backpack) with the same watch. Spoke to customer care about it and they happily sent the backpack separately.
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:20   #1545
Distinguished - BHPian

Expiry date on perfume? How can perfume expire?

I do not believe in expiry dates on products, except for obviously short-life products like fish and meat. Even for many food stuffs, eg how can things like honey and jam, unopened, have an expiry date? They last almost for ever.

The whole thing is just a ploy to get people to throw away perfectly good stuff and buy more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks