Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:01   #16
BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by omzworld View Post
I have bought a Mavic mini few months ago and will vouch for it. Easy to fly, sturdy, amazingly smooth even in windy situation and picture quality that isn't compromise.
Added bonus is the weight and as explained by @Athek, in India registration is simple.
I use a Mavic Mini as well and complete agree with your comments! I normally use the drone for photography and not videography. Have to try some videos as well.

Here's a picture of the Glenfinnan Viaduct in Scotland, shot on the Mavic Mini.

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-capture.jpg

Cheers,
Praveen

Last edited by 51morris : 23rd July 2020 at 16:02. Reason: Fixed a typo
51morris is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
Anyone owning expensive drones who can explain the advantages of spending 60k over these budget drones.
One word- Stability. Expensive drones will hover at the exact same point without stick inputs due to GPS+multiple extra sensors. The cheaper drones will wobble around and hence you wont get those great video shots. You will have to constantly control them to prevent them from crashing into the trees or walls especially if indoors.

Last edited by tomraven99 : 23rd July 2020 at 16:24. Reason: typo
tomraven99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
I had assumed that this very kit is priced at around 55k to 60k and that the fly-more combo comes in at around 65k to 70k.

The fly more combo is still priced at 69k on amazon and is most certainly NOT worth more than double the price of the base drone.

I say go for it! No question of any other brands offering such a product at this price.

Nice.
The difference between this and combo is just those guards and additional batteries and a bag, is it ? Or am I missing something ? I was planning to pick the combo. Am not able to quite make out from the Amazon site.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:38   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Nice.
The difference between this and combo is just those guards and additional batteries and a bag, is it ? Or am I missing something ? I was planning to pick the combo. Am not able to quite make out from the Amazon site.
On seeing this price I initially thought it would just be the drone and it may be missing something essential like the controller

However I verified with the DJI Website and compared the two kits offered and yes, the standard kit includes the drone, controller, one battery and a charging cable. Which is pretty much all you need. Since Appario retail is considered to be like Amazon’s own seller you can trust that they will be sending you this same kit.

The fly more combo is overpriced for the accessories included. You can always buy those separately.

Note: You missed the Two way Charger which can charge three batteries at a time in sequence and an 18W wall adapter from the fly more combo. However as per me, these are not a necessity.

Last edited by Pegasus1134 : 23rd July 2020 at 16:53. Reason: Added a note
Pegasus1134 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
• Never fly over people / crowds
• Don't fly in cities (people + wires + interference etc)
• Always maintain line-of-sight (required for a good connection between transmitter & drone, and also for good piloting)
• Look around and understand the area you'll be flying in before starting up the drone
• Watch out for power lines and other hard-to-see obstructions commonly found in the countryside
• Make sure you have a good GPS connection before taking off
• Don't try any of the advanced flying modes unless you're sure of your knowledge of them & piloting capabilities (it's a whole new ballgame)
• Don't push the limits of the battery, always keep some "reserve" in the tank
• Read about "fly aways", be scared, do what you can to avoid them
Those are some amazing shots Rehaan. I first got to see a drone in action in one of a marriages that I had attended. Then I got an up close view when we were shooting an ad for our organization. I was the in charge for getting that done and the cameraman brought a drone. He mentioned that we need to get police permission before we use it to shoot over buildings.

I saw a meme on FB which shows a drone taking the job of a pilot of a chopper and rightly so!
Raghu M is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:50   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Attaching some of unedited shots from my side. I had a feeling that it might not do too well in night, but clearly I was mistaken

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-org_48ffdb26a4262283_1586099800000.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-org_cdfc6f0b0f62e54d_1577357200000.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-go_photo_1577604407153.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-org_304e97b50c5ff6c5_1584242652000.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-go_photo_1577605035574.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-org_6a870d370c728253_1584242260000.jpg

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-go_photo_1577604770060.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Nice.
Plus some additonal propellers and a charger which works both ways, so you can use it to charge your phone as well. One battery is just about enough, it gives you around 20 mins of recording time, which generally should suffice. I paid jus 100$ extra for the fly more combo, so it was a no brainer. With the amount being quoted in amazon, not buying it is a no brainer.

Last edited by AtheK : 23rd July 2020 at 18:55.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 19:54   #22
BHPian

Fly More combo was available for 38,999 after 1000 cash back. Felt it was a good deal, so picked it up without hesitation.
Item is not in stock yet, so delivery only in the first week of Aug.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As soon as I purchased, item is shown unavailable. Looks like only one piece is coming into stock.
sj_koova is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:13   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post

Here's a picture of the Glenfinnan Viaduct in Scotland, shot on the Mavic Mini.
I am really jealous after seeing this picture. This might tip the scales in favour of buying a drone that I have been contemplating for quite sometime! Here is a picture of the same place that I could manage and it is looking so bad

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-dsc_35501.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:18   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I am really jealous after seeing this picture. This might tip the scales in favour of buying a drone that I have been contemplating for quite sometime! Here is a picture of the same place that I could manage and it is looking so bad

Attachment 2033632
Hey Sumitro!

I must admit, drones open up a whole different perspective! I would strongly recommend that you get one

Praveen
51morris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:12   #25
BHPian

I have a question for the existing drone owners, how does the warranty process work for drones bought outside of India. And how is the general serviceability in India? I was also not able to list any service centers in India from the DJI site either.

The drone is almost half the price in the US - for example, DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Combo on amazon.in lists for INR 69,649.00. While, amazon.com is listing the same package for ~ INR 37,325.55 (USD 499).
asbshyam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 21:22   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbshyam View Post
I have a question for the existing drone owners, how does the warranty process work for drones bought outside of India. And how is the general serviceability in India? I was also not able to list any service centers in India from the DJI site either.

The drone is almost half the price in the US - for example, DJI Mavic Mini Fly More Combo on amazon.in lists for INR 69,649.00. While, amazon.com is listing the same package for ~ INR 37,325.55 (USD 499).
DJI provides local warranty only from country of purchase, i picked mine from europe and i have no warranty anywhere else, except in switzerland.

Not sure about what will be the scene with the one picked up from Amazon. Amazon is listed as a retailer for india on DJI site though, along with two shops in Delhi. Best to check with amazon i guess, maybe they will do a piece to piece replacement.

https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy/retail-stores
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 13:55   #27

Yesterday I placed an order for the mavic mini fly more combo from amazon for an absolute steal deal (INR 39,999) .I have no clue why there was a sudden price drop.I Initially thought the price drop was due to the drone being listed is a CE model which has only 2km range compared to the FCC model,But the seller confirmed me that the model which he is selling is FCC which has a range of 4km

The seller is appario retail and is a well trusted seller on the amazon India platform. Within few minutes the fly more combo was listed as out of stock and what ever that is listed in the amazon now is selling at an exorbitant price (69,980). I think i was lucky yesterday .

I have attached the screenshot below.
Attached Thumbnails
The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-capture_20200724133506.png  

muralikrishnank is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 13:45   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus1134 View Post
Found the Mavic Mini on amazon for an absolute steal deal today. The basic kit comes in at 31k. And you can apply a ₹1000 off at checkout as well. I have no idea what the reason for this sudden price drop is.
I say go for it! No question of any other brands offering such a product at this price.
I have been casually tracking the Mavic Mini since it launched last year and it always seemed like an amazing beginner's drone with excellent capabilities. However, the price at INR 50-60 k was a deterrent for just a casual once in month kind of use. But this looked tempting!

Hope its not a pricing error. I remember few years back I ordered a smartwatch from Amazon at 50%+ discount (on a regular non-sale day) only for the order to be cancelled automatically by the seller after few days without dispatch. Less likely in this case since the seller is a familiar Amazon entity with good reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51morris View Post
I use a Mavic Mini as well and complete agree with your comments! I normally use the drone for photography and not videography.
Simply wow! Looks like a beautiful screen grab from one of those Harry Potter movies, just missing Hogwarts train in the background.

Is the image processed or straight off the cam? Asking since most reviews say Mavic mini doesn't click as good pictures as it shoots videos. Also it doesn't click in RAW format so the result is outstanding nevertheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
Fly More combo was available for 38,999 after 1000 cash back. Felt it was a good deal, so picked it up without hesitation.
Item is not in stock yet, so delivery only in the first week of Aug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muralikrishnank View Post
Yesterday I placed an order for the mavic mini fly more combo from amazon for an absolute steal deal (INR 39,999) .I have no clue why there was a sudden price drop.
Excellent VFM purchase guys! I was hoping the combo comes back in stock and I may have just taken the leap. Both the standard and combo sets are out of stock now.

Anyway, do keep us posted about when it turns up. Do post some unboxing and first flight pictures, the drone thread lacks pictures of the drones

I noticed that the Mavic Mini Nano drone is listed as one of the new product launches during upcoming Prime Days and probably this is the official India/Amazon India launch which is why the price was so good (screenshot and link below). Just hope the specs are same as the FCC version as Muralikrishnan has confirmed with seller.

https://www.amazon.in/l/16754129031/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_jan20sp_1a1_w?pf_rd_m=A1K21FY43G MZF8&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_r=3FG6HBFCC1046GZ7EE0B&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =001e29b7-9003-49ff-9231-6187a9857d77&pf_rd_i=14045406031
Attached Thumbnails
The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-amazon.jpg  

camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 14:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

There are some places which begs for drone shots. We had visited a star fort near Sakleshpur. Check out a drone shot of the place from Google Images:

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-is11554718066.jpg

And it looks so bland when you step inside the fort and click pics. Another fort from my home town (courtesy Google Images):

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-awesomeviewofpalakkadfortmaidan.jpg

Will keep an eye out for this thread. Cheers to those who bagged the Mavic Mini deal on Amazon.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th July 2020 at 14:07.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 14:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Simply wow! Looks like a beautiful screen grab from one of those Harry Potter movies, just missing Hogwarts train in the background.

Is the image processed or straight off the cam? Asking since most reviews say Mavic mini doesn't click as good pictures as it shoots videos. Also it doesn't click in RAW format so the result is outstanding nevertheless
Thanks, Camitesh!

It is a beautiful place indeed. I too wish the old steam locomotive was passing by at the time, would have completed the picture! Apparently, a lot of people go to this place around when the train comes along.

The image is bog standard - straight off the cam. You are right, the Mini does NOT shoot in RAW format and this is something I miss very much. However, the Mini still does just fine when the lighting conditions are good. Where it struggles is when the light starts to fade and not being able to squeeze out details during post-prod will become evident. In my case, most of the pictures I shoot on the drone are during the day, when there is plenty of light.
51morris is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed