Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 22:57   #151
BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Got myself a DJI Mavic Air combo from UAE. I have last years Mavic Mini flymore as well. Difference between the two in terms of features is massive. Main reason to go for air was the Active tracking features and robust build. Mavic Mini feels like a toy when compared to other Mavic series, which feel robust and built to last. In fact my Brother in laws Mavic Pro which he bought at launch is still going strong.
Old 14th September 2021, 08:32   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynike99 View Post
Got myself a DJI Mavic Air combo from UAE. I have last years Mavic Mini flymore as well. Difference between the two in terms of features is massive.
I guess you get what you pay for. Certainly Mavic Air would stand apart for its build quality and what it offers.

I've been planning to ask my relative to bring Mavic Mini 2 Combo from UAE. This would be my first drone experience, so I think buying the entry level mini is the best bet. Will probably wait till October end, when the GITEX expo/trade show is taking place - I've heard you get good discounts on electronics there. Either ways, can you share if you faced any difficulty bringing it to India on flight?
logicalidiot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 17:05   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
Any update Ninja? Finally when are you getting yours?
Procrastination in full flow - due to holiday travel, work and plain laziness. (Un)fortunately the head of the house is happy with the delay preventing an (unnecessary in her eyes) expenditure so this is even more compounded.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 17:57   #154
Senior - BHPian

For all the folks looking to buy Mavic drones, note that the DJI Fly app is no longer present in the Play store. You can download the apk from the DJI site, but the app now only supports a handful of Android phones. I had deleted the app on my phone (Oneplus 6) and am now unable to install it back. Their support is pathetic and they are simply suggesting folks use a supported phone

Check your phone compatibility here and try installing the app before buying, or you might require a new phone also to use the drone. Apple device support seems to be somewhat better.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 23:53   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
For all the folks looking to buy Mavic drones, note that the DJI Fly app is no longer present in the Play store.
Terrible news. Why did this happen? Is this India specific? But DJI took special measure to please the DGCA controlled digital sky platform. Surprising to learn about this, I sincerely hope this is a temporary glitch.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:12   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Terrible news. Why did this happen? Is this India specific? But DJI took special measure to please the DGCA controlled digital sky platform. Surprising to learn about this, I sincerely hope this is a temporary glitch.
I don't think it is an India-specific thing related to DGCA. Maybe something to do with Android/Google. And I doubt they will add support for more phones considering there are other apps for their professional drones.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:17   #157
BHPian

In that case, I hope it get solved soon.
Old 17th September 2021, 19:38   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post

My major concern is the height which it can fly. I'm sure most of you would be aware of the 15m altitude limit for nano drones in India. This is a bummer and it makes no sense to buy the Mini 2 if it does not let you go any higher. Are there any workarounds for this? I did find some methods on YouTube but it seemed cumbersome and was only a temporary solution.

Bhp'ians, would love to get your opinions on this.
This is the only way right now, and yes the patch keeps removing itself every now and then, but once in flight it holds. I have posted a few pictures and videos, many of those are taken on 100m or above.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:01   #159
BHPian

Quote:
This is the only way right now, and yes the patch keeps removing itself every now and then, but once in flight it holds. I have posted a few pictures and videos, many of those are taken on 100m or above.
Could you share the details of the patch that you are using? I did see a few youtube videos on this but unsure about these hacks. Will all the features still work seamlessly? I want to get a mini 2, but the altitude limit is putting me off. It will be my first drone and I may not even use it extensively, but 15m seems too restrictive. I scanned through the latest drone rules and didn't find anything helpful there either.

I am also toying with the idea of getting the 1st gen Mini and using the earlier version of the DJI fly app if the apk is still available and working. The Mini flymore combo is around 50,000 while the Mini 2 is 65. Does it make sense to go for the Mini now?

Another option I am considering is the Mavic air 2. I have no use for it, costs a whopping 1.15 lakhs and will need to go through the hassle of registering it, but at least it won't have such restrictions. Makes no sense but a drone isn't really a "sensible" purchase.

I can't make up my mind
Old 22nd September 2021, 19:36   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_chelat View Post
Could you share the details of the patch that you are using?

I am also toying with the idea of getting the 1st gen Mini and using the earlier version of the DJI fly app if the apk is still available and working. The Mini flymore combo is around 50,000 while the Mini 2 is 65. Does it make sense to go for the Mini now?

Another option I am considering is the Mavic air 2.
Mavic air 2 is definitely a superior drone, but judge for yourself, do you need a pro grade Drone? I think you want it as a hobby now, my advise is to stick with either mini 1 or 2.
About the hack, you can PM me. Regarding decision between mini1 or mini2 solely because of mini1's old apk does not make sense, the mini2 has a much better camera, Occusync tech and slightly better battery.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 16:51   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Mavic air 2 is definitely a superior drone, but judge for yourself, do you need a pro grade Drone? I think you want it as a hobby now, my advise is to stick with either mini 1 or 2.
About the hack, you can PM me. Regarding decision between mini1 or mini2 solely because of mini1's old apk does not make sense, the mini2 has a much better camera, Occusync tech and slightly better battery.
Thank you. Have sent you a PM.

I definitely don't need the Air 2. The only reason I am considering it is because I am hesitant to fidget with an expensive and brand new gadget if I go for the Mini 2.
Old 24th September 2021, 10:53   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Good move, hope this improves availablity of drones in India.

Quote:
An interactive airspace map will be uploaded on a digital platform in the next two days with red, yellow and green zones earmarked on it, indicating go and no-go areas for operating drones, Union Minister for Civil Aviation Jyotiraditya Scindia said on Thursday, a month after the Centre unveiled a new policy for unmanned aerial vehicles. The airspace map has been prepared after consultation with state governments
Quote:
We have prepared this airspace map in consultation with all state governments. There will be a Digital Sky Platform on it, which means there will be no (role of) the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)," the minister said.Permission (for operating drones) will be granted by the Digital Sky Platform. Those seeking it will have to enter the entire flight path. Within five seconds, permission or lack of it will be known," Scindia said.
https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/in...a-7500861.html
procrj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2021, 13:48   #163
BHPian

Wing, an Alphabet-subsdiary company, has a delivery-by-drones service running in Canberra (Australia) since 2019. They seem to have run into issues with ravens that do not seem happy sharing airspace with drones. The deliveries have been paused while they figure out a ways to make the drones avoid the attacks by the ravens.

Source.
Old 9th October 2021, 12:33   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Either ways, can you share if you faced any difficulty bringing it to India on flight?
Yes please. I too would like to know how to get drones to India from outside (specifically UAE).

Apparently permission is needed from Ministry of Communications (Wireless Planning and Coordination Department). But, can't find anything on the Ministry website on how to get the permission.
desidino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 23:25   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Either ways, can you share if you faced any difficulty bringing it to India on flight?
None, as I didn't get it through flight. I'm an Officer in Merchant Navy. Got it in duty free when we were in Jebel Ali(Dubai).
ynike99 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed