Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2022, 11:54   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Oh I dont have a problem with the 15m limit since Litchi works just fine over 15m too. I meant to say that if I set the height limit to be over 15m in the Litchi app, switching back to DJI Fly still resets it back to 15m (I realise that my wording might have been loose and caused confusion) .
Update - looks like it was some GPS issue that caused the altitude limit to be 120m. Flew the mavic outside and it was back to the 15m limit. Then as usual had to switch to Litchi and fly above 15m. Today I breached the 100m barrier for the first time and it was such a stable performance even at that height. However visually we can notice the drone moving around since it was pretty windy but didn't get any warning about the same.

One issue I noticed is that video transmission gets choppy with Litchi app at those heights. Not sure if this is to do with the app or there is some transmission issue due to me standing next to a huge roof of aluminium sheet.

Last edited by audioholic : 17th July 2022 at 11:55.
Old 17th July 2022, 14:25   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
I meant that there is a way to get 15m+ limit on DJI Fly app as well. I haven't used Litchi (probably works on Litchi as well) but I have tried this a couple of times on the Rainbow app to re-set the altitude limit. Below is what I follow and this has let me fly above 15m on the DJI Fly app as well.
I had read about this (I believe it works on litchi too) - but have never had the courage to do the app-switching idea because I feel powerless to take control if something happens during the downtime between the swap.

I may probably never try it since I prefer the litchi app over the DJI fly anyways (except if I am ever interested in any automatic shots, I suppose)... But just so that I know - how long does the whole app-switching take? I am assuming about a minute of leaving the drone in the air without any manual control or means of controlling it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
However visually we can notice the drone moving around since it was pretty windy but didn't get any warning about the same.

One issue I noticed is that video transmission gets choppy with Litchi app at those heights. Not sure if this is to do with the app or there is some transmission issue due to me standing next to a huge roof of aluminium sheet.
The drone moving about - that I have observed too. DJI definitely builds some ridiculously capable drones - these little ones are much more capable than we'd think in staying afloat. I have never had any connection/video issues so far with the Mini 2- I always fly out in the open where the drone can always have a clean line of sight with the controller - and keep an eye out for signal strength at all times and dont let it fall below 3 bars on the Litchi app... But IIRC, yours is a Mini 1, so that uses wifi and not Occusync so is supposed to be significantly more susceptible to interference from local wifi networks - in and around your controller as well as the drone itself.
Old 23rd July 2022, 23:34   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post

The drone moving about - that I have observed too. DJI definitely builds some ridiculously capable drones - these little ones are much more capable than we'd think in staying afloat. I have never had any connection/video issues so far with the Mini 2-But IIRC, yours is a Mini 1, so that uses wifi and not Occusync so is supposed to be significantly more susceptible to interference from local wifi networks - in and around your controller as well as the drone itself.
True. AFAIK it uses 2.4GHZ channels only even though Litchi has an option to manually switch to 5.8Ghz. Not sure if that's a good idea but it would be relatively free of interference. Regarding stability, here is one snip during windy conditions. The Video looks like it's taken in standstill:

audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 16:31   #244
BHPian

Hello Fellow Bhpians,

I am planning to add drone photography to my list of hobbies and need advice on the model of DJI Drones. I am confused between the DJI Mini 3 Pro and DJI Mini 2. Also, what are the exact legalities I have to do before using them. Also, any reliable source online or around delhi to get them. Also, currently seeing a price of 1,39,000 for Mini 3 PRO. Is it ok? Let me know.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Slushmaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 21:56   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slushmaster View Post
I am planning to add drone photography to my list of hobbies and need advice on the model of DJI Drones. I am confused between the DJI Mini 3 Pro and DJI Mini 2. Also, what are the exact legalities I have to do before using them. Also, any reliable source online or around delhi to get them. Also, currently seeing a price of 1,39,000 for Mini 3 PRO. Is it ok? Let me know.
Keeping legalities aside, I feel it is a ripoff to buy a drone here in India at the prices that are quoted by the resellers. Taking advantage of the ban these resellers have become even more greedy and I feel it is not worth paying so much of a premium especially for using the drone as a hobby. Even before the ban on import of drones, the prices in India were double of what I paid in Germany.

So unless you want to use the drone seriously for professional use, consider bringing one from abroad. It shoudlnt be a big deal especially with the mini.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 23:41   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

So unless you want to use the drone seriously for professional use, consider bringing one from abroad. It shoudlnt be a big deal especially with the mini.
Thanks for making a very good point on the cost and believe me I tried to convince myself. But, I think the logic is loosing to what the heart says. Also, I do sell prints, but mostly to some columnists and don't get much as a return :(. Will again try to convinve myself, but If..If I have to choose one, which one to choose ?
Old 13th August 2022, 20:39   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Will again try to convinve myself, but If..If I have to choose one, which one to choose ?
If you have the budget for Mini 3 Pro, I'd be looking at that considering it comes with a 120m altitude limit for indian users right out of the box and has an in-built screen on the remote controller - I find plugging my phone on every use a bit cumbersome on the DJI Mini 2. Apart from that, I think the Mini 3 Pro has improvised in different aspects. I'll suggest seeing a comparison video to see what suits you best.
logicalidiot is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 19:30   #248
BHPian

Purchasing drones from overseas (vs buying from the grey market in India)

A small update- Got my Mini 3 Pro with fly more combo yesterday. Waiting for the weekend to fly it, really excited. Will post my observations post the flight.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Slushmaster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 20:57   #249
BHPian

One of my latest videos shot at a picturesque German town of Erlangen popular for Siemens having many of their offices:
Let me know if you liked.
German town Erlangen
arpanjha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 21:57   #250
BHPian

One more from Europe, this time the super beautiful town of Padova in Northern Italy very close to Venice. Venice has always overshadowed this region. This small & beautiful town is famous for the Basilica of Saint Antonio and a beautiful square caller Prato Della Vella. Hope you enjoy it. It’s a bit long one, but worth every second.
Padova Italy
arpanjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:36   #251
BHPian

A beautiful small village in the rich Bavarian region of Germany. Shot early in the morning, a small village with a beautiful Church compound and surrounded by corn fields. Hope all you guys enjoy.
German village Thierhaupten in Bavaria
arpanjha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2022, 09:49   #252
BHPian

What have been some of the best drives that you've done for some amazing drone shots? I've been loving the jaipur-delhi route during the monsoons, the clouds and all were unreal. Plus there are all these temples on mountain sides.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cjcct..._web_copy_link
Old 25th November 2022, 19:36   #253
BHPian

Re: Purchasing drones from overseas (vs buying from the grey market in India)

Quote:
A small update- Got my Mini 3 Pro with fly more combo yesterday. Waiting for the weekend to fly it, really excited. Will post my observations post the flight.

Thanks,
Slushmaster
Congrats on the purchase!
Do DJI offer after sales service/ support in India?
A couple of people told me drones are prohibited in India and are limited only for R&D & Defense purposes.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think drone rules have been relaxed now in India.
But if not, how do you plan to work around the legalities?
Old 25th November 2022, 23:05   #254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk24 View Post
A couple of people told me drones are prohibited in India and are limited only for R&D & Defense purposes.
Drones below 250g are usually without restrictions. for everything else its not banned... There is just too much red tape
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 00:16   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk24 View Post
We had an extensive discussion on this topic in the other thread here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ket-india.html (Purchasing drones from overseas (vs buying from the grey market in India))

TLDR: One Bhpian lawyer friend and drone owner said drone laws are still in grey area and will take time to develop and finalize. This is like installing window tints on cars which are not legal but seldom caught in most states.

250GM mini drone doesn't require any license but the altitude is restricted to 15M legally which most bypass using a hack, breaking the rule in the process. As a normal user don't worry too much and enjoy your flight, just like people enjoy driving their cars with tints
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks