Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2021, 22:26   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

Started flying more as I am traveling more and have started experimenting a little more with shots, perspectives and video editing. Tempted to upgrade from the mini to a Mavic Air A few clips from recent trips.

procrj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 02:36   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Started flying more as I am traveling more and have started experimenting a little more with shots, perspectives and video editing. Tempted to upgrade from the mini to a Mavic Air A few clips from recent trips.
Lovely videos!

Are you not affected by the 50ft height limit on the latest apps from DJI?
Is there some trick to avoid it?

I was consiering buying the Air 2 now that the Indian rules allow flying of these drones in a lot of places upto 400ft - but the latest I read was that the DJI app still will restrict you to 50ft all over India which makes them a no-go for my plans (personal travel videos).

So I'm curious how you're not affected by it!
Old 5th November 2021, 11:53   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Are you not affected by the 50ft height limit on the latest apps from DJI?
Is there some trick to avoid it?
I havent updated my DJI fly app for more than a year now, which is why I dont have the 15mtrs height restrictions applied to the drone. Having said that, I do take permissions wherever needed and try and fly in areas that dont have drone flight restrictions.

There are others out there who are flying the Mini2, Air2, Air2S etc. without height restrictions - either using older version of the app, OR 3rd party apps like Litchi OR other software hacks which allow them to fly above the 15mtr limit.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2021, 17:59   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
I havent updated my DJI fly app for more than a year now, which is why I dont have the 15mtrs height restrictions applied to the drone. Having said that, I do take permissions wherever needed and try and fly in areas that dont have drone flight restrictions.

There are others out there who are flying the Mini2, Air2, Air2S etc. without height restrictions - either using older version of the app, OR 3rd party apps like Litchi OR other software hacks which allow them to fly above the 15mtr limit.
Thank you! I am aware of these hacks - and find myself not having the taste for tehm on a luxury product. I mean, I'd totally do something hacky on a cheap product but on something this expensive and basically a lifestyle product - I find that rather unacceptable clunkiness.

The old versions of the DJI app dont support the Mini 2 - so that route (which was acceptable since there was no hacks or button fiddling needed before each flight) is not open to me unfortuantely. Not looking to buy anything except the Mini 2 or later models at this point (features and weight/partability).

Have fun with your Mini!
Old 10th November 2021, 17:36   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Asking again thanks to lot of uncertainty in our rules and regulations. Is it allowed for me to bring in a nano drone into India when I fly back from Germany either in cabin or checked baggage? Has anyone brought in a Mavic Mini from abroad recently? Some info would be very much appreciated.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 09:47   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Asking again thanks to lot of uncertainty in our rules and regulations. Is it allowed for me to bring in a nano drone into India when I fly back from Germany either in cabin or checked baggage? Has anyone brought in a Mavic Mini from abroad recently? Some info would be very much appreciated.
Also a related question, if you bring a drone would you be able to register it on digital sky? Since that needs a GSTIN bill?
Old 16th November 2021, 21:34   #172
BHPian

Hi all,
I recently got a DJI Mini 2 from the US and crashed it into a tree while trying the special effect on the drone. One of the arms near the propeller has a huge crack and needs repair or replacement.

Any suggestions on where to get this done in NCR? Don't want to send the drone back to the US and wait for a couple of months for it to get back in shape.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 12:36   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Carried a Mavic Mini without any issue. But the drone was stripped of its props and kept separately in check in luggage with a load of other items since I was moving a lot of stuff and the suitcase did not come with the dreaded customs mark. Thanks RJ and all the others who messaged with some info regarding this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzikio_rage View Post
Also a related question, if you bring a drone would you be able to register it on digital sky? Since that needs a GSTIN bill?
As I understood the latest rules Nano and Micro drones are exempt from most of these processes and hence you need not do it. Nevertheless I will try creating a profile on DigitalSky and registering the drone without the bill. If it works then fine else I would leave it.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 12:59   #174
Senior - BHPian

I used my drone during my last visit to Valparai during the Diwali days. I did try the hack, but for various reasons it didn’t work at all. My son and I, still had some fun despite the 15 mtr restrictions.

I’m hoping this 15 mtr restriction goes away very soon. Even a 30 mtr will be an enjoyable flight. 15 sucks.
Old 23rd November 2021, 18:08   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Hi all,
I recently got a DJI Mini 2 from the US and crashed it into a tree while trying the special effect on the drone. One of the arms near the propeller has a huge crack and needs repair or replacement.

Any suggestions on where to get this done in NCR? Don't want to send the drone back to the US and wait for a couple of months for it to get back in shape.
Quoting my own post.

Got the arm replacement done at NV Drones in CP Delhi. Found them to be professional and friendly, the drone is working well now
sid_deb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2021, 15:20   #176
BHPian

One more request, any guidance if a friend is planning to bring it from abroad? I know keep drone in check in, in parts, keep controller and battery in hand bag. Anything else that needs to be done?
izzikio_rage is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 00:20   #177
BRV
BHPian

Import of Drones Banned

Quote:
"Import policy for drones in CBU (Completely Built Up)/CKD (Completely Knocked Down)/SKD (Semi Knocked Down ) form is prohibited with exceptions provided for R and D, defence and security purposes," DGFT said.
Source: https://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...s-2417461.html
Old 10th February 2022, 10:33   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
Import of Drones Banned
The sort of incompetency we have in the government babus will reach new heights every day. Of course in the longrun they can push for local manufacturing, but such overnight bans will just make the trade worse. At least the consumer level drones both personal and professional ones have to be given an exemption especially when they had a detailed categorization and usage policy already in place. Now this will just provide some extra opportunities for such dealers to make huge margins on an already premium product. And I am happy that I carried my DJI Mini from abroad when this ban was not in place. Saved me from paying more than double the money to buy the same product here.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 08:30   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRV View Post
Import of Drones Banned
But wasn't there a restriction on import of drones already there in place? I read this news pop up on my Android notification (OT but the way smartphones track us makes feel like nothing's secret anymore in this era) 2 days back and I was confused what changed now because as far as I've understood, there was already a restriction in place by DGFT for import.

I think business enterprises could have still imported them if they had the import clearance earlier but now it's a total ban in imports for the common folks I assume? I'm sure this would only shoot up the prices for the existing ones available in the country and resort to illegal importing.
Old 11th February 2022, 10:53   #180
BRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalidiot View Post
But wasn't there a restriction on import of drones already there in place?

Quote:
"Import policy for drones in CBU (Completely Built Up)/CKD (Completely Knocked Down)/SKD (Semi Knocked Down ) form is prohibited with exceptions provided for R and D, defence and security purposes," DGFT said.

Import of drones by government entities, educational institutions recognised by central or state government, government recognised R&D entities and drone manufacturers for R&D purpose will be allowed in CBU, SKD or CKD form.
Earlier we have to take license for drones more than certain weight / size parameters, no restriction on imports, guess now we have buy local drones and still proceed with license (I might be wrong). We will have to wait for more guidelines / experts can pitch in for more information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks