Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2020, 15:59   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice

It has been just over a month since I got the Mavic Mini. I have been trying to fly as frequently as possible. My profile on the DJI Fly app till now, don't know whether it is good or below average -

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-sumitro_drone_profile.png

Last edited by BlackPearl : 15th September 2020 at 19:41.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 18:35   #92
BHPian

I also wanted a drone but could convince myself to spend 70K. A big congrats to all who got the DJI min Fly combo for approx 40K, super deal.
I have been stalking the DJI Tello on Amazon and the combo deal was around Rs 13K and then went up to RS 15.5K for the past few days.

I was in Orion Mall in Rajajinagar and in Landmark they had the Tello combo for Rs 15K a discount of 1K from the MRP.

So took the plunge and picked it up, le me learn with this first and then keep an eye for the Mini at 40K or less and upgrade.

While I type this the three batteries are getting charged for some serious indoor testing.

Collage of the packing and the Tello.

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-dji_tello.jpg
yajaman99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 22:23   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
I have been stalking the DJI Tello on Amazon and the combo deal was around Rs 13K and then went up to RS 15.5K for the past few days.

I was in Orion Mall in Rajajinagar and in Landmark they had the Tello combo for Rs 15K a discount of 1K from the MRP.

Attachment 2057028
Congratulations. Crazy price increase for Tello

When I was waiting for the Mavic mini combo a month or two back, tello combo was just above 10k with some special discounts and cashbacks during the prime days on Amazon. Was very close to getting the Tello combo myself at 1/4th the price of mini combo to learn some skills. Have fun with this little beauty without the fear of loosing big bucks if you err while you learn the new skills
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 16:43   #94
Team-BHP Support

Did a 6000 Kilometers trip to Switzerland and for the first time in my life I was looking forward to flying the drone as much as driving across the country. I have created a small video with the drone clips -

BlackPearl is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Congratulations. Crazy price increase for Tello

When I was waiting for the Mavic mini combo a month or two back, tello combo was just above 10k with some special discounts and cashbacks during the prime days on Amazon
Blame it on this thread for increased demand and surge in prices

By the way, received my order of mavic fly more combo after a seemingly long waiting period of 10 days. Eagerly waiting for the weekend to try my hands on flying it in open space for the first time.
Makin Rulesz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:18   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Did a 6000 Kilometers trip to Switzerland and for the first time in my life I was looking forward to flying the drone as much as driving across the country. I have created a small video with the drone clips -
Wow ! looks great. I guess in future this will be omnipresent everywhere in tourist spots. Not a good thing though
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:27   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I have created a small video with the drone clips
WoW, just amazing. The Starting part with the music looked like a trailer for a new Netflix Originals thriller. Very cinematic, I feel the Mavic Mini is a perfect drone for hobbyist.
Hopefully I can get a good deal on amazon for the same in the future. Till then will keep practicing with the Tello.
Old 22nd September 2020, 13:32   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Wow ! looks great. I guess in future this will be omnipresent everywhere in tourist spots. Not a good thing though
Countries have rules where and how you can fly drones. It is a strict no in crowded areas, i think the rule is not more then 6 people should be present. You can definitely not fly them in tourist areas. Even in my apartment you can't fly a drone at ground floor, usually they don't care if you take it to the roof.

The best usage of drone is to get footage of secluded areas, nature and so on.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 14:36   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Thanks srishiva. Yes, to be frank, the drone is quite a nuisance due to the sound it makes. I felt a bit embarrassed whenever I was flying the drone. But the good thing is that people are quite receptive to it and they somehow realise whether someone is doing it for fun or intruding into their private space. Whenever I was flying in the tourist spots I was making sure that I was at least 50 feet away from the people, but wherever it was not possible we were watching out for the vibes we were getting. It was mostly warm smiles and thumbs up from people around which made flying the drone a lot less embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
WoW, just amazing. The Starting part with the music looked like a trailer for a new Netflix Originals thriller. Very cinematic, I feel the Mavic Mini is a perfect drone for hobbyist.
Thank you yajaman99. Another thing I liked about the Mavic Mini is that though the video quality is not that great, you can get usable still shots from the video. This is one example which I really liked.

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-gornegrat_screenshot1.jpg
BlackPearl is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 01:26   #100
BHPian

Got the Mavic Mini some weeks back from Amazon when the pricing was still justified. When checked today, it's ranging in the 70k range.

I bought the Fly More Combo. Just a small Helix Shot video with my son.

As the lockdown eases, will update this space with more drone videos
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 02:34   #101
BHPian

Nice to see drone enthusiasts here..
Got myself a Mavic Mini at 32K (missed the fly more combo)
Still learning and bit scared to fly it indoors. Last thing you want is to explain damaged curtains
Old 27th September 2020, 03:20   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
Still learning and bit scared to fly it indoors. Last thing you want is to explain damaged curtains
Congratulations! Don't be scared to fly indoors. Please attach the propeller guards before flying the Mavic Mini indoors and you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
I bought the Fly More Combo. Just a small Helix Shot video with my son.
The video is not playing, I am getting this message -

The Drones Thread - Reviews, Tips, Advice-screenshot-20200926-22.48.00.png
Old 27th September 2020, 09:10   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankrt View Post
It's okay to be cautious especially flying indoors buddy. I crashed it a couple of times indoors (with and without guards) as well at slow speeds as the craft kept fighting my commands and did what it wanted to no matter what. Once I had to grab it mid flight to save it from crash and had a micro cut in the process.

Not to discourage you from flying indoors but just sharing my experience and I feel it's not worth risking the household items, yourself and a 30-40 k worth drone. A good thing is that in my experience this little beauty can handle minor crashes and flies as good as new.

Did some research on DJI forums after my initial crashes and found the following reasons likely for any drone to go out of control indoors and found it true in my case.

1. Magnetic interference from metal beams and other metal items makes the compass misbehave
2. Electrical and other network interference such as wifi etc.
3. No or bad GPS
4. Less light, especially if flying indoors at night

Started flying outside in safe areas and it flies rock solid with GPS locked in

Quote:
Congratulations! Don't be scared to fly indoors. Please attach the propeller guards before flying the Mavic Mini indoors and you should be fine.

The video is not playing, I am getting this message -
Considering he has the standard version, he won't have the propeller guards, unless he bought it separately. But it's a must if flying indoors.

Click the link within that error message and it will take you to the YouTube site where the video should play just fine
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 09:39   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
was flying the drone. But the good thing is that people are quite receptive to it and they somehow realise whether someone is doing it for fun or intruding into their private space. Whenever I was flying in the tourist spots I was making sure that I was at least 50 feet away from the people, but wherever it was not possible we were watching out for the vibes

Attachment 2058103
Beautiful video and shots Blackpearl.

Question : How does this get treated at airports ? Carry on baggage or check in ? And the batteries , I believe has to be carry on ?
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have propeller guards as I could not get the fly more combo. I am on lookout for propeller guards else will order from Aliexpress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
It's okay to be cautious especially flying indoors buddy. I crashed it a couple of times indoors (with and without guards) as well at slow speeds as the craft kept fighting my commands and did what it wanted to no matter what. Once I had to grab it mid flight to save it from crash and had a micro cut in the process.

Did some research on DJI forums after my initial crashes and found the following reasons likely for any drone to go out of control indoors and found it true in my case.

1. Magnetic interference from metal beams and other metal items makes the compass misbehave
2. Electrical and other network interference such as wifi etc.
3. No or bad GPS
4. Less light, especially if flying indoors at night

Started flying outside in safe areas and it flies rock solid with GPS locked in

Considering he has the standard version, he won't have the propeller guards, unless he bought it separately. But it's a must if flying indoors.
Yes need to be cautious while flying indoors. Plus most of the time due to lack of GPS lock indoors, mavic switches to visual guidance and that can be hit or miss.

I am on look out for extra batteries, however very difficult to source and are expensive in India. If you know any sources then please let me know.

On a slightly different note -
For for finer controls try Dronelink and Litchi apps. Apparently these allow active tracking and bunch of other features.
shashankrt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed