Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2008, 02:27   #121
Senior - BHPian

Can you not get a large voltage stabiliser through which your mains supply first enters before going via various circuits to the rest of the house ?

I know countless people in Punjab and Haryana who have these large stabilisers serving this purpose.
Old 29th October 2008, 08:19   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
depends on what you want to use that stabliser. Ensure that the stabiliser gives a full sine wave. There are a lot of cheap devices that give a quasi sine wave that spoils your purpose.
Would suggest the same.

And if your house has an invertor see that it too gives a sine out.Most dont and APC one's start about 20k.

I thought VGuard was good.And they have the digital versions too right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Can you not get a large voltage stabiliser through which your mains supply first enters before going via various circuits to the rest of the house ?

I know countless people in Punjab and Haryana who have these large stabilisers serving this purpose.
I dont think this is a viable idea as it will involve lot of rewiring (supposing one has a 3 phase line).

EB wont allow you to have a big servo stabilizer too.
Old 29th October 2008, 09:09   #123
BANNED

Couple of decades back, yours truly had the brains to ask an electrical engineer the question "why not have a big stabiliser for the whole house, rather than have several small ones for each appliance". The answer is interesting.

Quote:
When you put a huge stabiliser for a huge circuit, the power consumption would be same (volts X amps). So if you step up the consumption Volts, the consumption and therefore, supply amps will go up. When supply amps go up, power at supply end has to remain constant; so higher supply amps is compensated by lower supply volts. Resulting in still higher drawing of power. Resulting is still lower supply volts. Ultimately leading to a power failure.
Old 29th October 2008, 09:31   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

I dont think this is a viable idea as it will involve lot of rewiring (supposing one has a 3 phase line).

Well, I have a BIG servo stabiliser at Home! And EB does not care much about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Couple of decades back, yours truly had the brains to ask an electrical engineer the question "why not have a big stabiliser for the whole house, rather than have several small ones for each appliance". The answer is interesting.
@Backseatdriver: Well..your power bills go up by around 15-20% but i dont have individual stabiliser for my home appliances. and i have a different POV than the answer you got from that electrical engineer!

The benefit of having one big servo is that it controls the entire supply of the house and one has a better life of all electrical appliances. There are no surges or dropouts and all lighting / fans / ac / kitchen appliances run smoothly!
Old 29th October 2008, 12:56   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post

I'd like to know where i can buy the Dishwasher liquids and salts.
You buy these online at the IFB site:
: : IFB Home Appliances - Additives : :
Hope it helps.

Arup
Old 29th October 2008, 14:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

From what I have seen it requires very little rewiring as you do everything where your main supply enters the house. The big stabiliser is placed here and then this gives supply to the old circuits via a fusebox (or one fuse as I saw at one house ). So the old prewired circuits stay intact all the work (couple of wires) are placed near the head of the circuits. Not sure about the cities but in villages the EB do not bother about these large stabilisers.

This very basic diagram sums it up.

The Home Appliance thread-stabil.jpg

Most of the units I have seen are made locally. Not sure about the quality but they appear to do their job.

Last edited by bigman : 29th October 2008 at 14:32.
Old 29th October 2008, 20:47   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Not sure about the cities but in villages the EB do not bother about these large stabilisers.

This very basic diagram sums it up.

@ Bigman, Thats correct, your diagram says it all

and EB does not bother about large stabilisers in cities as well. The increase in power bills and your correct payments are sufficient for them not to bother you.
Old 30th October 2008, 01:39   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Headers, can you tell us more about your stabiliser?

Specification, make, cost?
Old 30th October 2008, 04:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Headers, can you tell us more about your stabiliser?

Specification, make, cost?
Headers, post a pic as well.

The ones I have seen cost between RS5000 and RS7000 and looked like a giant version of the old stabilisers everyone used to have on their fridge years ago (the one with a needle display that fluctuated according to voltage). No fancy LCD / digital displays like some of the standalone single appliance stabilisers have these days.
Old 30th October 2008, 07:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

guys, will take a pic and post soon. FYI, mine is a 22.5KVA stabiliser that we used in our factory for a CNC machine. We upgraded the setup there and hence this was a spare we had. All we had to do was disconnect the three phase trip setup and make it work. Now this works as a 7.5KVA per phase which is quite big for a home setup
Old 6th November 2008, 20:03   #131
BHPian

Which is a good water geyser product company (for bathroom)? I have so far shortlisted Bajaj & Spherehot. Read a lot of negative reviews on mouthshut about Racold so that is out. What I need is a geyser which can supply uninterrupted water for a bath in Winter. I am looking for instant ones and not storage water geysers.
Old 6th November 2008, 21:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Which is a good water geyser product company (for bathroom)? I have so far shortlisted Bajaj & Spherehot. Read a lot of negative reviews on mouthshut about Racold so that is out. What I need is a geyser which can supply uninterrupted water for a bath in Winter. I am looking for instant ones and not storage water geysers.
I have been using Venus splash.Initially was little skeptical. but it has been serving me good since last 2 years.
Old 6th November 2008, 22:45   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Been using Sphere Hot sun model. Very happy with it for last 5 yrs. The reason i went for it is because of the D type heating element which is supposed to be effective with hard water.
Old 22nd November 2008, 01:41   #134
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have an extra Ifb 6kg washing machine (senator). Hardly been used.
I am planning to sell it off for 15k. Please let me know if anyone is interested or if any of your friends are interested.
I bought a pre owned flat and this came along with it. The owner hasnt stayed here for more than a few days a month since he bought the flat so the machine is almost new.
Pm me if anyone is interested.
Old 28th November 2008, 10:44   #135
BANNED

I'm planning to buy a 230L frost-free Double door fridge. Prefers Samsung & Whirlpool brands.

So which one should I purchase taking into consideration A.S.S, quality & features ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks