Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 13:50   #4441
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hey, we have used a KAFF chimney for the last 3 years without any issues whatsoever. It is effective and reasonably silent.
We have had for about seven years, and the motor is now noisy at full speed, but otherwise, fine and effective.
Old 6th July 2014, 08:06   #4442
BHPian

@itwasntme, @Thad E Ginathom
Thanks for the recommendations. During my exploration, one of the sales guy was saying KAFF does not have ssteel (heard it like BAFFLE) filter and it has mesh filter which is difficult to clean? Is this true?
Old 6th July 2014, 08:44   #4443
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think so, but it is confession time... I've never cleaned our filter!

Despite my liking for chips (French fries to you USA-ified people ) we don't do very much oil-heavy cooking. About once a year we get the service guy to come. He cleans the filter. It is enough for us, but I can imagine that some kitchens might need once-a-month cleaning.

Certainly our KEFF sucks ---still! And sucks quite well. I can feel the pulling pressure when closing the kitchen door.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:27   #4444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Any recommendations for a 2 liter table top wet grinder? current amrithaa tlt model has gone phut after almost 10 yrs of hasslefree service.
Ultra is a good choice.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:28   #4445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
can we create hybrid power system at home using solar panels but without battery banks

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
You can, but then what happens to extra power generated and not used? That is why you need batteries to store power when it is surplus and release it when it is in deficit. Without batteries, you will need a power regulator to smoothen out voltages fluctuations from the solar array (as the voltage changes with light intensity).

Considering that the solar panels are five to ten times the cost of batteries, it makes no economic sense to dispense with them.
Old 7th July 2014, 21:30   #4446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You can, but then what happens to extra power generated and not used? That is why you need batteries to store power when it is surplus and release it when it is in deficit. Without batteries, you will need a power regulator to smoothen out voltages fluctuations from the solar array (as the voltage changes with light intensity).

Considering that the solar panels are five to ten times the cost of batteries, it makes no economic sense to dispense with them.

Hi Aroy, I spent some time researching the topic, I came across this site energy informative.org, there are already systems like this and are called on-grid hybrid solar systems

We already have companies like SMA-India, Borg and ABB who have a product range to suit residential as well as commercial needs. Detailed residential information is available on www.sma.de/en/home-systems/overview.html

I will visit their Mumbai office next time to get first hand view

Old 8th July 2014, 00:17   #4447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
@itwasntme, @Thad E Ginathom
Thanks for the recommendations. During my exploration, one of the sales guy was saying KAFF does not have ssteel (heard it like BAFFLE) filter and it has mesh filter which is difficult to clean? Is this true?
We have a 2 year old Faber which is quite noisy. It has a baffle and last time put it in the dish washer...
Earlier took some elbow grease to remove the oil from it, but the dishwasher seemed to be quite effective. Have done it only once this way though. I clean it once in 6 months...
Old 8th July 2014, 13:37   #4448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
can we create hybrid power system at home using solar panels but without battery banks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
You can, but then what happens to extra power generated and not used? That is why you need batteries to store power when it is surplus and release it when it is in deficit.

Some time ago, Tamil Nadu government introduced an offer to subsidize 30 % of the cost of a Solar power system for home. The central government will offer additional 20 % - so they said. I applied and I was 'sanctioned'.

The potential contractors gave me the option where they will install 1 KW Solar panels with electronic control panel (with inverter) which will directly feed 220 V AC into the mains supply. There is no battery in this. The EB will change my meter to bidirectional type. So the 'excess' power will flow into the mains grid.

The final quote was around 1 L and I declined the offer eventually.
Old 8th July 2014, 23:02   #4449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Some time ago, Tamil Nadu government introduced an offer to subsidize 30 % of the cost of a Solar power system for home. The central government will offer additional 20 % - so they said. I applied and I was 'sanctioned'.

The potential contractors gave me the option where they will install 1 KW Solar panels with electronic control panel (with inverter) which will directly feed 220 V AC into the mains supply. There is no battery in this. The EB will change my meter to bidirectional type. So the 'excess' power will flow into the mains grid.

The final quote was around 1 L and I declined the offer eventually.

Yes, as I understand, TN is the first one to allow on-grid solar hybrid, the pricing quoted is correct, though it has come down a little now, do you remember which company product did the vendors offer

Old 8th July 2014, 23:22   #4450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We have a 2 year old Faber which is quite noisy. It has a baffle and last time put it in the dish washer...
Earlier took some elbow grease to remove the oil from it, but the dishwasher seemed to be quite effective. Have done it only once this way though. I clean it once in 6 months...
Thanks all for your response to my query. I have come across USHA yes USHA the famous fan maker branded chimneys. 22K with 1000 suction power with baffle filter, touch control switches etc. Looks interesting however not sure as it is new entrant I guess. Any one has any experience with this brand?
Old 8th July 2014, 23:27   #4451
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your response to my query. I have come across USHA yes USHA the famous fan maker branded chimneys. 22K with 1000 suction power with baffle filter, touch control switches etc. Looks interesting however not sure as it is new entrant I guess. Any one has any experience with this brand?

I think you cannot go wrong with Elica. I have their 4 burner cooktop with black brass burners and 5 jets per burner. It's amazing.
Old 9th July 2014, 08:17   #4452
Senior - BHPian

chimneys are simple machines. simple blower motor and a filter which you keep cleaning and it'll last you forever. If you make really oily food, be sure to clean the baffle filter once a month at least. That's the only thing.

Go with any brand you trust - doesn't matter. FABER warranties were good when we bought ours.
Old 9th July 2014, 11:11   #4453
BHPian

Quote:
Any one has any experience with this brand?
As phamilyman mentioned. These are simple machines. The fan blows out the air and filler traps the oil. Just avoid mesh filters, they get messy quickly and very hard to clean.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:53   #4454
BANNED

In IITK yesterday, I saw a 1MW solar going up, with no battery storage. Good reason since in the area it is in, power is only used in daytime.
Old 9th July 2014, 23:00   #4455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In IITK yesterday, I saw a 1MW solar going up, with no battery storage. Good reason since in the area it is in, power is only used in daytime.

So IIITK confirms the potential and the way forward, 1mega watt must have costed over 5 cr, any idea, whose equipment did they select

Most Viewed