Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you face any Problems with TATA Sky?
Yes 141 39.61%
No 215 60.39%
Voters: 356. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2007, 13:21   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
DTH uses 'ku' band which is susceptible to rain unlike C band used by cable wallah. so rain interruption is common phenomena is DTH platform irrespective of operator
so this should happen in the us as well rite ... i used dish in the us for 6 yrs through ice storms snow storms thunder storms and several downpours and no interruption ....
Old 26th June 2007, 13:23   #32
BHPian

facing same prob with DishTv....the place where i stay have usually strong winds associated with rains...even if the dish moves by an 1/2 a inch, blue screen (not windows hehehhe) with nosignal appears....nevertheless, i'm expert now and i know the exact dish location, a little twist here and there and the signal is back....

anybody here (pune) using BSNL IP-TV???

details here - Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd- Latest News
Old 26th June 2007, 15:20   #33
BANNED

I am at 8 th floor so no issue till date even during hevy rains or wind, but feels its OK for normal TVs but they are not ment for big plasmas or LCD specially for HD displays.
Old 26th June 2007, 15:30   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
What is Tata Sky? Is it a portion of sky owned/branded by Tatas?
I know what is a dishnet. Yes, the fishermen in our area uses them a lot.

I don't know why tv and signals come into discussion here. Anyway, I don't own a TV too.
its a tie up between the tatas and sky of uk
Old 26th June 2007, 16:10   #35
BHPian

my problem was something totally different. it was like one day when i switched it on, it was just showing some error message and nothing was coming up. I dialled the Cust service number. After everything, they just said that it was a software problem and they asked me to switch of the box and switch it on with the button on it. Did it and "jinga la la" it started working. Though because of this, i missed some F1 action.
Old 26th June 2007, 16:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

I have a Dish Tv and surely during cloud overcast and before the rain starts the signal is lost and whenever it happens i know that its gonna rain ... though this signal loss is only a few minutes and during rains it does function properly as well...but that is a handicap we guys need to live with i suppose.
Old 27th June 2007, 07:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg
DTH uses 'ku' band which is susceptible to rain unlike C band used by cable wallah. so rain interruption is common phenomena is DTH platform irrespective of operator
C-band uses a minimum dish of 180 cm/6ft if it is a solid dish (not mesh) unlike the Ku-band dish which has a minimum of 60 cm. Can go even lower if signals are stronger.

If one wants to receive Ku-band signals during monsoon/rainy/cloudy weather then there is no option but to opt for dish size greater than 90 cms/1 metre+ depending upon the signal quality on your location. The bigger the dish gets, the more stable the signal quality remains.

For instance a 1 metre+ dish will have 15% signal deterioration during rains, but still the signal would just come down to 80%. But on a 60cm dish were signal quality is 80%, rains can bring it down to 65% which might then freeze the signals.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:15   #38
Senior - BHPian

I have DishTV and also face this issue but only during very very heavy rain that too only for a few secs.

Earlier i used to get this problem with the slightest rain because the dish was not aligned properly by those fools.So i took a small TV and STB and sat on top of my house and aligned the antenna until i got what was the best signal possible(79% strength 88% quality),now interruptions are few.Get you signal checked and dish aligned properly,signal strength has to be above 75%(in clear weather) to get the fewest interruptions,signals freeze only if signal strength falls below 30%.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 27th June 2007 at 09:18.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

What is the signal strength & quality that Tata-Sky consumers are getting ?

When T-Sky was initially being installed, there used to be a rumor that the guys who came for installation didn't install unless the signal strength was above 90%.

I guess with more customers being added, maintaining that level of service isn't possible anymore.
Old 27th June 2007, 09:46   #40
BANNED

I have absolutely no problems with Tata Sky.
Old 30th June 2007, 11:00   #41
Senior - BHPian

Heavy rains no signal, called them up they told me to do sumthing with the dish, just make it tight or so and then voila immediate signal started, so when you dont get signal just call them up.
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Guys, got the Tata-Sky connection over the weekend.
Booked the connection Sat'day morning, and by afternoon their Engineer came home & did the installation.
They took almost 3.5 hrs for the installation, had taken 2 connections, 1 in Ground flr and 2nd in First floor.
The picture quality is really good almost DVD quality and Sound is decent too.

Overall, I am happy with their Service!
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:10   #43
BHPian

We have 2 connections of Tata Sky. Both works fine even in this bad monsoon days in Kerala. We are satisfied with the superb picture quality when compared to our earlier cable connections.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:36   #44
BHPian

here guys found a place just for these discussions India Broadband Forum
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Higher the frequency, higher the attenuation. There is no effect due to number of subscribers. It depends on the terrain and also on the power used on the transponder.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks