Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2008, 21:30   #2656
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
From what I know, S8100fd is a good model, but FZ18 is better than the Nikon P80.
i agree. i went thru quite a few reviews and it seems panasonic fx18 is the best super zoom out there. what draws me towards it is the RAW format. i'm not into professional photography, so this cam suits me just fine. i can never lug around an SLR on trips/vacations anyways...too much bother. another cam that i shortlisted was the sony dsc-h50. so its gonna be either one of these.

someone said it costs around the 14k range elsewhere on this thread for the fz18. 18k sounds on the higher side. can someone confirm please ? also, is foto circle the best place to buy it !? i also think he gives the best deals...will call him in the morning for availability and price. a chap i usually buy stuff from in sukh sagar mall (manish) quoted 17+ for the fz18 and 15,750 for the sony h50.

Last edited by NIP : 20th July 2008 at 21:32.
Old 20th July 2008, 23:38   #2657
BHPian

I just wanted to know if it's worth buying a Fujifilm FinePix S5800 for Rs.7875 (with bill & warranty). I read the reviews which apparantly looked good but I wanted to get a feedback from someone who might have used a Finepix or atleast has an idea about the Finepix S series.
Old 21st July 2008, 09:25   #2658
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
I just wanted to know if it's worth buying a Fujifilm FinePix S5800 for Rs.7875 (with bill & warranty). I read the reviews which apparantly looked good but I wanted to get a feedback from someone who might have used a Finepix or atleast has an idea about the Finepix S series.
there seems to be no IS on this model. i think thats a drawback. otherwise i feel its a very good price, even if the camera is a little dated.
Old 21st July 2008, 09:44   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
The only equivalent of Medium format in Canikon range is Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III. 21.1 MPS camera with a 1.3x crop factor, Dual DIGIC-III 14 bit processor chips make it superfast and at the same time, unparrelled. And not to mention, Up to 5 fps, burst rate up to 12 consecutive RAW images or 56 full-resolution JPEGs, and compatible with newest UDMA high-speed CF cards, it is simply superb.

I am not going to compare it with D3 because there are simply enough difference to keep it at a different plain. Plus, I also wouldn't like to open a can of worms (Read Nikon vs Canon).
I dont think one can compare any of the Nikon/Canon DSLR's to a medium or large format film camera. The sensor sizes are simlply too small to match the image quality. From what I understand, medium and large format cameras arent about speed but about absolutely top notch image quality for taking large prints.
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:26   #2660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
I don't think one can compare any of the Nikon/Canon DSLR's to a medium or large format film camera. The sensor sizes are simply too small to match the image quality. From what I understand, medium and large format cameras aren't about speed but about absolutely top notch image quality for taking large prints.
I am relying on these "top references". I may be wrong. Let me know if I'm indeed.

Vs Medium Format

Canon has today tipped digital SLR resolution over the twenty megapixel barrier with the new EOS-1Ds Mark III. The much anticipated Mark III version of the full-frame EOS-1Ds delivers medium-format threatening resolution; 5616 x 3744 (21.1 million) pixels to be precise, in a portable and robust five frames per second Canon EOS body. From a built, function and usability point of view the EOS-1Ds Mark III is identical to the EOS-1D Mark III apart from the full frame (36 x 24 mm) sensor, (naturally) larger viewfinder and UDMA support (up to 45 MB/sec) for Compact Flash cards. At full tilt (at five frames per second) the Mark III is processing an mighty impressive 185 MB of data every second.

What's Hot
• Extraordinary image quality at ISO 100-1600.
• Fast, sophisticated AF.
• Built to pro tolerances and performance levels.

What's Not
• Astronomical price.
• Heavy weight.
• No AF in live view or built-in wireless flash control.

Who's This For?
Studio photographers looking for medium-format image quality in a DSLR. nNature and underwater photographers who want maximum detail. Fine-art photographers with a serious budget.

Compared to Medium Format Systems

Can you get better image quality from any camera than from the 1Ds Mark III? Sure, but not in a camera that you would want to handhold all day. The realm of higher quality belongs to medium format digital backs, rolled into systems such as the Hasselblad H3D, the Leaf AFi, and the Sinar Hy6. These systems are intended for studio use, weigh even more than the 1Ds, and cost $30,000+. The medium format systems are designed to work with studio lighting and therefore may underperform the 1Ds at higher ISO settings.

If you have an extra $20,000, a tripod, and a lot of light, look into the medium format backs. These systems will get very interesting when a large square sensor is available, e.g., close to the 56x56mm full frame of 6x6 film camera. Currently the sensors are 36x48mm, which wastes a lot of the image circle and has all of the disadvantages of a rectangular format, e.g., figuring out a way to tilt the camera sideways or rotate the back.

Vs Large Format

Elsa Dorfman uses a 20x24" Polaroid camera. We decided to see how a print made from an EOS 1Ds Mark III RAW file would compare to a 20x24" original. The images below were taken using ISO 50, available only after enabling extended ISO range from a custom function menu. This is slower than the native resolution of the camera and is probably slightly lower image quality than ISO 100, but it was useful because it enabled us to use an f/8 aperture with the powerful strobes in Elsa's studio.

We sent the RAW files to Pictopia and gave them no instructions other than "make the best 20x30 print that you can". In a side-by-side comparison with a few Polaroid originals, Elsa and three other viewers agreed that the 1Ds Mark III images had at least as much detail as the Polaroid. It was a little tough to compare because the Polaroid images have less depth of field and the papers were very different. The Polaroid paper is super thick and glossy; Pictopia's least expensive RA-4 paper has a matte finish and is much thinner. The digital image was much cleaner, while the Polaroid had a lot of waviness and character in the background. As an imaging system for making 20x30" prints, the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III combined with Pictopia was the clear victor. As artistic statements, the Polaroid images were more interesting.

Quote:
Source - Same Photo.net Article
I agree that it is not all about speed. But someone might come up with a trump so hard to resist.
Old 22nd July 2008, 09:32   #2661
BHPian

That was some pretty useful info. Thanks for that given2fly.

The performance against medium format was as expected (wins hands down on useability but not on technical IQ), but a DSLR beating the large format seems really surprising. The additional comparison I would look at if I were thinking of spending such a crazy amount of money on a camera is against the Mamiya. Thats cheaper than the medium format systems discussed in the article and may well have superior technical IQ against the Canon but in a less user friendly package. All said and done, the Canon seems to justify the price for a certain class of professional photographers, around whose needs it seems to be designed.
Old 24th July 2008, 10:32   #2662
BHPian

I am confused between Olympus E-420 / Sony A200 / Olympus E510

All these cost almost the same in the UK...

Can someone suggest which is a good buy?

And, what is the meaning of "Depth of Field Preview"? Does the above Olympus cameras have that feature (I know that Sony A200) does not have that feature.
Old 24th July 2008, 11:08   #2663
Team-BHP Support

Usually when you look through the viewfinder, you are seeing the view with maximum aperture for that lens, eventhough you might have set it to F/11 aperture. The DOF preview button forces the camera to close down the aperture to your selected value so that you can see what camera sees when the shutter opens.

Both E-510 and E-420 do have DOF preview.
Old 24th July 2008, 18:28   #2664
NIP
Senior - BHPian

just got myself the Panasonic FZ18 its a fab looking camera...apart from the fact that it takes very decent pictures. looking forward to some good photos now !
Old 24th July 2008, 19:57   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Today I have purchased Fuji S8100fd after realizing s100fs would cost more than 27,000/-.

Fuji S8100fd package includes:

1. Camera: 14,600/-
2. 4gb SanDisk: 1,100/-
3. Lens Protector
4. Original fuji Box with all accessories like cables, batteries, mannual etc...

Baught it from Foto Circle, Bangalore.

I need to study this a bit to get used to it.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 25th July 2008, 10:56   #2666
NIP
Senior - BHPian

congrats on the new cam ravi i was at foto circle today too...was there between 12 to 1PM. picked up two FZ18's from there. would have loved to meet you if i knew you were coming there...
Old 25th July 2008, 18:54   #2667
Team-BHP Support

I was planning on picking up the Nikon P80 above the FZ-18 as the FZ-18 was a year old model and wide angle was not as good as the P-80.

Now panasonic have launched the FZ-28 which has the same lens range as the P-80 has better battery life and is supposed to be even faster.

Again need to decide between the FX-28 and the Nikon P-80.
Old 25th July 2008, 18:59   #2668
Senior - BHPian

Hey NIP, I visited Foto Circle around 3PM.

I feel FZ-28 (available next month) should be better than P80 because Panasonic lens is better than P80. i don't have any experience with these 2 camaras.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 27th July 2008, 06:48   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Most probably I will walk down to all shops in Akihabara. kakaku.com is what I am looking at now.
Went to Akihabara yesterday, but could not go to Bic Camera which is bit aways from Akihabara. There is one big store by the name Yodabashi. I did some early research.

Here are some good options and prices(there will 10% more discount on these prices):

Sony DSC H50B : 49800 Yen , 19,470 Rs
Fuji F218 : 37100 Yen, 14,505 Rs
Canon Paoweshot S5IS : 34100 Yen, 13,332 Rs
Nikon P80 : 39000 Yen., 15,248 Rs.

Please suggest, I will go to Bic Camera today and will do some more research.
Old 27th July 2008, 08:08   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Went to Akihabara yesterday, but could not go to Bic Camera which is bit aways from Akihabara. There is one big store by the name Yodabashi. I did some early research.

Here are some good options and prices(there will 10% more discount on these prices):

Sony DSC H50B : 49800 Yen , 19,470 Rs
Fuji F218 : 37100 Yen, 14,505 Rs
Canon Paoweshot S5IS : 34100 Yen, 13,332 Rs
Nikon P80 : 39000 Yen., 15,248 Rs.

Please suggest, I will go to Bic Camera today and will do some more research.
Are these cameras made in Japan, with bill & warranty? If yes, go ahead and purchase it right away, the deal looks too good.

Find out the price of Olympus SP570UZ, Panasonic FZ28 and Fuji S100fs also, and use this site to compare them and decide: Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

Good luck!

Last edited by gopz : 27th July 2008 at 08:11.

Most Viewed