Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2007, 12:31   #481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I ended up purchasing Nikon L-11. Iam unhappy with the outcome. I target one position and press the button to click, but it seems there is a delay time (for example. I click the button when I see a vehicle in the picture, but the output was an empty road )
That's called shutter lag, most reviews would mention that parameter. My F-717 has 0.7 second shutter lag, which is huge. But most dSLRs almost have no shutter lag.
Old 13th April 2007, 13:01   #482
Senior - BHPian

Well, what camera does someone suggest? How about them Sony H5, H9 ones? And any idea on the warranty?

And oh, where's the x-ray vision one available?
Old 13th April 2007, 13:14   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well, what camera does someone suggest? How about them Sony H5, H9 ones? And any idea on the warranty?

Well, I would suggest a canon one (coz I have been using it and I like it!), may be a Canon S3 IS. And as far as the X-ray vision camera, I've been looking for one for quite some time. Do let me know, if you manage to get your hands on any of em..
Old 13th April 2007, 13:27   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I had actually put my F-717 on sale for a while when my wife insisted I sell it before buying dSLR. Due to lack of interest I took it off the market. Of course, I ain't selling it anymore.

Sensor size is quite a controversial topic, for example 4/3 system adopted a much smaller sensor. BTW, you got the 350D sensor (APS-C) size wrong, 22x24mm would make a squarish sensor. The correct value is 22.2 x 14.8 mm.
Good decision not to sell it samu. That camera is a piece of art, if I had known you were selling it, before I got my Canon, I would have bought it!
As for sensor size, one thing is plain physics, cram more pixels on same area, you get more noise. Inherently CMOS is less noisy than CCD. Thats why Canon cams are king of high ISO photography.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Well, I would suggest a canon one (coz I have been using it and I like it!), may be a Canon S3 IS. And as far as the X-ray vision camera, I've been looking for one for quite some time. Do let me know, if you manage to get your hands on any of em..
Sony H5 and H9 are wonderful cams. You get 2 years interest free EMI scheme and 3 years warranty. So if you are happy with the features buy them.
As for X-Ray, we were talking about Infra Red photography. Google some and you will see what IR is capable of!
Old 13th April 2007, 13:44   #485
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had actually put my F-717 on sale for a while when my wife insisted I sell it before buying dSLR. Due to lack of interest I took it off the market. Of course, I ain't selling it anymore.

Sensor size is quite a controversial topic, for example 4/3 system adopted a much smaller sensor. BTW, you got the 350D sensor (APS-C) size wrong, 22x24mm would make a squarish sensor. The correct value is 22.2 x 14.8 mm.
samurai you are right. i did not remember exact size that is why i mentioned approximate. but canon does have different size APS-C sensors. furhter 4/3 sensor is bigger or almost same size as canon.
Sensor (mm)
Type Aspect Ratio Dia. (mm) Diagonal Width Height
4/3" 4:3 33.867 22.500 18.000 13.500
1.8" (*) 3:2 45.720 28.400 23.700 15.700

(*) Also called "APS-C". Many variants exist. APS-C film measures 25.1 x 16.7 mm, Sony's APS-C measures 21.5 x 14.4 mm, Nikon "DX" sensors measure 23.7 x 15.7 mm, while Canon has several (smaller and larger) variants, e.g. 22.2 x 14.8 mm and 28.7 x 19.1mm Sensor Sizes: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by rkg : 13th April 2007 at 13:49.
Old 13th April 2007, 14:08   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Sony H5 and H9 are wonderful cams. You get 2 years interest free EMI scheme and 3 years warranty. So if you are happy with the features buy them.
As for X-Ray, we were talking about Infra Red photography. Google some and you will see what IR is capable of!
Not buying in India. That's why I want to know about world-wide warranty.

Any idea which cameras come with IR these days?
Old 13th April 2007, 15:50   #487
BHPian

confused between these two which do u all think is better canon s3is or fuji 6500fd
Old 13th April 2007, 23:01   #488
Senior - BHPian

Talking of X-Ray effect, with sony's night vision you can see thru a lot of things, probably some of synthetic clothing too. but forget about seeing thru thick layers of cotton that we are used to.
remember, (difference of) temperature plays a big role when shooting IR.

I do remember seeing somebody's eyes thru sunglasses as if they were totally clear glasses though.
Old 13th April 2007, 23:06   #489
BHPian

Hi,
Please suggest a digicam in the range of Rs. 8/9,000.
Thanks
Old 14th April 2007, 00:50   #490
Team-BHP Support

Actually it is very difficult to answer a question like which is a good camera for a given budget. It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want to just learn photography, even a 5 year old prosumer camera like F-717 can do mightly well, just as a stop gap camera before you start thinking about that dSLR. Like dating before any serious relationships.

Most people who buy dSLR for serious photography take about 6-12 months researching all the features and SLR family. It is almost like arranging a marriage, once you marry into a SLR family, it is very unlikely you can switch. The lenses you have will ensure you stay within the same family.

The P&S camera purchase is more like dating. If one camera doesn't work out, you move on to another. No committments.

Yes, I am coming to the point now. Please mention what you like to do with the camera before you ask for suggestions. Each camera has certain strengths and weaknesses. Proper suggestions can be made only after understanding clear user requirements.
Old 14th April 2007, 02:02   #491
Senior - BHPian

^^The good thing is you only have two families to visit to select your bride - Canon and Nikon .
Old 14th April 2007, 11:31   #492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
^^The good thing is you only have two families to visit to select your bride - Canon and Nikon .
That's what happens when you don't do any research and fall for the hype . There are others like 4/3 system, Pentax and Sony Alpha which provide significantly VFM choices for budding amatuer photographers.
Old 14th April 2007, 23:45   #493
BHPian

It will be only for domestic/ week-end travel purpose & will be used by an elderly person (not me) so ease of use is also an aspect to be considered.

So let the suggestions for dates, brides & their families drop in now

Last edited by autozealot : 14th April 2007 at 23:47.
Old 15th April 2007, 03:06   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's what happens when you don't do any research and fall for the hype . There are others like 4/3 system, Pentax and Sony Alpha which provide significantly VFM choices for budding amatuer photographers.
You have an entry point but there's no upgrade path. Plus the range of lenses is very very limited compared to canon or nikon. If one is serious about photography, there are only two real choices... Also the body is hardly a concern. DSLR bodies are to be dumped in 3 years anyway. However once you make an investment into lenses, basically they stay with you forever! Even though Pentax and Oly make good bodies, their lens choices are severely limiting. Why do you think you only find canon white lenses on the sidelines of any sports even? Why not a pentax or an oly or a sony? Its simple... once you get used to canon l-glass, there's no turning back . The biggest issue is no brand other than nikon and canon has IS in lenses. In body IS can only work upto a certain level... there's a reason no pro will use a camera with in body IS.

Plus there's no direct upgrade path for the body. The Pentax range ends at K10D, the Oly at E500 and Sony at the Alpha. While if all you care for is the kit lens, then these bodies are okay. But if you outgrow the needs of the body, well then you are stuck! With Canon, if one gets a rebel, he/she has a choice to upgrade to the 30D or the 5D in case one needs an FF sensor. For Nikons, beyond the D40, there's the fantastic D80 and D200. Plus there are the bodies for real pros... 1D and D2X/D2H.

Infact I still have an F1 body and a few FD mount lenses sitting with me. Though the shutter on the F1 gave up, the 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 and 50mm f/1.4 lenses are still fine. These are older than I am :P. I wish someone would give me an FD body :(.
Old 15th April 2007, 06:09   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The P&S camera purchase is more like dating.
Oye, Samurai, what's with all the analogies ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks