Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 16:21   #451
Team-BHP Support

S3 IS is an all-rounder will suit your needs well and has a decent zoom range, along with some good manual controls.
It has image stabilization also, which will help in long end of zoom.
Old 12th April 2007, 16:28   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
S3 IS is an all-rounder will suit your needs well and has a decent zoom range, along with some good manual controls.
Any other options ? For how much Canon S3 Retails ? any idea ?
Old 12th April 2007, 16:35   #453
Team-BHP Support

If you are looking for cheaper options you have the Powershot series, recently stabilized camera came in Poweshot series too.
In non canon land you have Panasonic, which have the FZ8 etc., which are even more SLR like, but have poorer high ISO noise performance.
Then you have Fuji cams, excellent pictures but no IS.
Old 12th April 2007, 16:50   #454
Senior - BHPian

@ tsk,

I am not looking for cheaper options but what will be the approx prize and features compared to entry level dslr cameras ?

btw what is IS ?
Old 12th April 2007, 17:42   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
@ tsk,

I am not looking for cheaper options but what will be the approx prize and features compared to entry level dslr cameras ?

btw what is IS ?
Hmmm... S3 IS will start from 18000 onwards. It depends on from where you get it. I have seen the S3 IS retail for even as high as 32000. I think most places sell the cam for around 22k.

Compared to a DSLR (entry or otherwise) a P&S will always be lighter. It will have a generally more emancipated dimensions, if I may say so. And yet a good one (like the S3 IS) will allow you to do most of the controlling on your own as well if you are so inclined. One important thing that S3 IS (and most others of its type) let you do is that you can do video photography using the cam. This you will never be able to do in any DSLR.

However, in answer to Tanveer's question you said that you wish to do a lot of low light photography without flash and tripod. Remember something any P&S (even the S3 IS) will be a poor option for these situations. Their high ISO performance (anything above 200) is bothersome. So keep that in mind.

And what is IS?! Well, IS stands for Image Stabilization. When you shoot a moving target, or your hands shake the image becomes blurry. This is particularly so at the telephoto end of the lens. IS helps you in overcoming these cases to some extent. There are two types of IS (optics based and sensor based). If you are really interested you may look these up on the Net and photography journals. Tons of material available on these and more...
Old 12th April 2007, 17:51   #456
BHPian

hi mugen the price for canon s3is is cheapest on sify with one year dealer warranty mind you not company warranty its around 17.5grands,even check this link out= Enjoy! Digital SLR camera = nice tutorial how to use a digital slr
Old 12th April 2007, 17:52   #457
Senior - BHPian

Let me go through the review of S3 Is and than i will decide.

Btw P&S is for Prosumer ? Any other options compared to S3 Is ? and Canon S3 Is is within my budget.

Thanks Zappo, tsk, Samurai..
Old 12th April 2007, 18:05   #458
BHPian

Mugen... I bought a P & S last week (Canon Powershot A530) and I should say as a beginner, it offers me everything I want. The fast Auto mode and also the complete manual mode which lets me take good pictures (mind you, good is a relative term and I was happy with what I got from my cam ) Do check the pics I posted in the official non-auto image thread. And according to me DSLR helps you to do many actions conveniently and easily but the pics you can take from P & S will be as good as a one from DSLR. Do check this site and go to the How-to section where he describes on what is the actual difference between a P & S and a DSLR. The site is kenrockwell.com . In the end, just go out see the cameras and buy what you like as in the feel and the way you can hold it, coz I have noticed that when you use Zoom and if you don't have a tripod, its very tough to have steady hand and the image gets distorted.
Old 12th April 2007, 18:11   #459
Senior - BHPian

What is full manual?
Old 12th April 2007, 18:16   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
What is full manual?
Complete manual as in let's me choose from various shutter speeds, gives me the option for macro, aperture size, metering and also the level of exposure and even some presets for various color options like daylight, tungsten, etc. Overall, almost everything that a DSLR has to offer.
Old 12th April 2007, 18:45   #461
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is full manual?
I think what he meant by full manual is that he gets to set all the regular options like EV, WB, Aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc. in various combinations just like in any SLR. Some of the P&S cams do limit the things you can set manually (mostly pure consumer cams... Prosumer ones are better in that respect).
Old 12th April 2007, 19:06   #462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What is full manual?
That is the opposite of full auto. The camera will not question you or try to correct you if you are out of focus, or underexposed, or overexposed. You have to use your brain and experience to pick the right speed, aperture, ISO and even focus manually.
Old 12th April 2007, 19:55   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is the opposite of full auto. The camera will not question you or try to correct you if you are out of focus, or underexposed, or overexposed. You have to use your brain and experience to pick the right speed, aperture, ISO and even focus manually.
Ok. but a lot of ultra-slim cameras now come with these options to set as you want.
Old 12th April 2007, 20:00   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ok. but a lot of ultra-slim cameras now come with these options to set as you want.
Sure, nobody is disputing that. In fact that is why Mugen_power can learn on P&S camera before upgrading to dSLR.
Old 12th April 2007, 20:55   #465
Senior - BHPian

What I mean is, what is the advantage that the SLR-like and SLR cameras possess over an ultra-slim, say the Nikon S50? Except for the upgradability of lenses, that is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks