Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2007, 21:28   #1021
Team-BHP Support

Well so now we know why canikon.
Go for the 400D. It is a really nice cam. Without warranty its really a very tempting buy.
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:21   #1022
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

And, enquired the Grey prices from Jagdish market in Abids and they are quoting 26.5K for Nikon D40X and 28.5K for Canon 400D. Heard that the folks in JM are not so reliable so i am taking some time to find a reliable shop where i can buy it. I have some friends in the police department using their arm twisting techniques to atleast get a product that is not tampered Planning to buy it in a couple of weeks.
Hmmm... if this police dept thing works out fine else talk to the JJ Mehta guys. I mean, if possible talk on phone. Tell them that if you are willing to settle for one without B&W will they be able to help. They sell such stuff as well (though in that case they are more finicky towards whom they sell to avoid hassles) and you will get comparable rates. The upside being you won't face the risks of the sort that Jagdish Mkt entails. They are a reputed name in cameras for decades. Even their gray market stuff are above board in terms of genuine equipment.
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:25   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks for answering my question. If brand name matters to you, then you can't look beyond Canon & Nikon. Besides, you won't have people questioning your choice. Have fun with your new camera.
You're right Samurai.
People ask me why i chose Olympus. They would never ask a Canikon guy why they chose a Canikon!!

-- Torqy
Old 3rd October 2007, 12:47   #1024
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hmmm... if this police dept thing works out fine else talk to the JJ Mehta guys. I mean, if possible talk on phone. Tell them that if you are willing to settle for one without B&W will they be able to help. They sell such stuff as well (though in that case they are more finicky towards whom they sell to avoid hassles) and you will get comparable rates. The upside being you won't face the risks of the sort that Jagdish Mkt entails. They are a reputed name in cameras for decades. Even their gray market stuff are above board in terms of genuine equipment.
Thats a great idea Deb. I saw their rates ( which i assume are official) on the website and found it quite expensive. I will call them and ask for grey prices
Old 3rd October 2007, 22:59   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Guys,i've been asked to pick out a cam by my dad and ive got a nice budget of 20~25k/500~600$

Till now ive made good use of every camera ive used and managed to get the best possible snaps from them,by playing around with the iso,and all other funky modes that come with the cam.

Right now im perplexed as to whether i should go in for an entry level dslr,or the higher end p&s cams(canon S5 IS)

Looked at the D40,350D and a couple of other entry level olympus'.

My queston however is,should i get my dad to invest in a dslr for me,or stick with a p&s cam like the canon S5?Considering the fact that i will be keeping the cam for no less than 4 years and have plenty of time to learn to get the best out of my cam.
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:07   #1026
Senior - BHPian

Binz boy I suggest that you pick up the S5 IS. Start with a digicam, shoot and exploit the camera to every single bit. Then move on to a DSLR , makes life a lot more easier. This is what I did.

Say you pick up a S5 IS for about 17k grey prices , you can use the rest to buy and stack up a few tyres at home .

BTW am heading for a plunge soon !! Might be the D80 or a D200, still working out my finances .
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:20   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Binz boy I suggest that you pick up the S5 IS. Start with a digicam, shoot and exploit the camera to every single bit. Then move on to a DSLR , makes life a lot more easier. This is what I did.

Say you pick up a S5 IS for about 17k grey prices , you can use the rest to buy and stack up a few tyres at home .

BTW am heading for a plunge soon !! Might be the D80 or a D200, still working out my finances .
Thank you ever so much.I was actually thinking the opposite,i.e. going in for an dslr,but what you said is making me think otherwise.

What do you mean by makes life a lot more easier?In what way?
Old 3rd October 2007, 23:34   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Lugging around a DSLR and shooting ain't all that of an easy job to do. You wouldn't get instant results. It takes time to get used to the DSLR's IMO .

A P&S, uses auto focus or focus free lenses for focusing and automatic settings for exposure as well.Comes handy when you want to do some fast clicking.

Most of the work is done by the camera itself and you wouldn't have to spend time getting the right exposure, ISO blah blah..

Also your investment doesn't stop at buying a DSLR, you need to invest in buying a lens. Then you feel that itch to get a better lens and then its like a bottom less pit.

edit : Dont be dis-heartened with my banter Binz. If you really keen on an entry level DSLR go ahead with it. Shooting with a DSLR is a different tale altogether.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 3rd October 2007 at 23:38.
Old 4th October 2007, 11:45   #1029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Most of the work is done by the camera itself and you wouldn't have to spend time getting the right exposure, ISO blah blah...
Cant agree with you more. I spent an entire day at the butterfly park shooting at ISO 800/1600 in broad daylight . Pity, noise only shows up on the computer screen after one is back home
Old 4th October 2007, 12:08   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

such high ISO in daylight, hope you didnt turn on your flashlight too. heheh..kidding

But, these are basics of photography, ISO, shutter speed and aperture setting are 3 main features to be learnt and you can call yourself a decently amateur photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Cant agree with you more. I spent an entire day at the butterfly park shooting at ISO 800/1600 in broad daylight . Pity, noise only shows up on the computer screen after one is back home
Old 4th October 2007, 12:10   #1031
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Such accidents can happen since most cameras don't constantly display the currently set ISO value.
Old 4th October 2007, 12:11   #1032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what was the idea to shoot with 800+ ISO in broad daylight? I thought higher the ISO, higher the noise. I also learned that using the flash in bright sunlight enhances the image. Correct if wrong.
Old 4th October 2007, 12:14   #1033
BHPian

Sony Supplied Ccd Fails

I come across one news about DIGICAM CCD fails (DISPLAY PROBLEM IN SHOOTING MODE) in those cameras where sony supplied the CCDs to different manufactures including CANON.

Anybody having detail about the same and facing such problem?
Old 4th October 2007, 12:21   #1034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
I come across one news about DIGICAM CCD fails (DISPLAY PROBLEM IN SHOOTING MODE) in those cameras where sony supplied the CCDs to different manufactures including CANON.

Anybody having detail about the same and facing such problem?
Vivek, i had gotten a Canon A70 Digicam from US in 2003 and used it quite sparingly and it stopped working about 6 months ago. the service guy said, CCD failed and will cost 3K including service for its replacement and repair. I had bought the camera for 7K , so imagine my plight.

Anyways, i paid up and got it done and since then no problems. He advised me not to point the camera at the sun and take pictures, it will effect the ccd. Pros, Can you confirm how true this statement is?
Old 4th October 2007, 12:38   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Anyways, i paid up and got it done and since then no problems. He advised me not to point the camera at the sun and take pictures, it will effect the ccd. Pros, Can you confirm how true this statement is?

OMG, He made you fool. He was supposed to do this free of cost. yesterday only I inquired about the same and told by CANON service centre that when my camera (CANON PowerShot 95) was not displaying the image on LCD while put on shooting mode. (though luckily it was setting problem only and not CCD issue).

Anyway please note every body here that Sony and Canon are recalling camera for faulty CCD and making repare free of cost. Spread this to every body who is using these brands.

I will give links also stating the same soon.

EDIT:
Support - Service Notices - Canon USA Consumer Products
Canon digital camera recall for defective image sensor - FixYa

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 4th October 2007 at 12:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks