Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2006, 11:08   #271
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power

Laptop card reader says there is no sd card in slot..
Its without B&W so no replacement but what about my pictures sir ??

Mugen.
Data recovery software is your only solution
http://www.snapfiles.com/features/ei...032-474720.php
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/sy...arecovery.html
You can use free trial if the software is paid.
Old 1st November 2006, 00:54   #272
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Read through the whole thread and came out confused, so I need straight answers here.

My better half misplaced my Sony P-100. Now I need to buy a new cam.

Requirements are as follows,

1) Form factor has to be slim and should be easy to carry about.
2) 5 MP is more than enough (if I get more MP , why not)
3) Video recording facility is a must
4) Budget - 15000 including 1 GB card
5) MOST IMPORTANT - I dont want cams that use rechargable batteries or batteries that have to be removed for charging. I need a cam that I can charge straight by plugging into the power outlet
6) Additional features will be welcomed ex. Wifi
7) Major use - point and shoot , candid videos
8) User level - Beginner
9) Optical zoom should be ~ 6 atleast

Am used to a Sony - so what do you suggest ? Should I stick to Sony or try out other brands. Should I get the camera from Malaysia/Thailand or it will be cheaper here ?

Answers needed fast please

Thanks

Last edited by normally_crazy : 1st November 2006 at 01:01.
Old 1st November 2006, 23:24   #273
BHPian

Gautam,
Nothing beats the Panasonic Lumix FX01 ..
I am using the FX7 for 2 years now and trust me nothing comes close the the user friendliness and the Mega Optical Image Stabliser.. And the best part is that its compact...
Dunno if it will fit in the budget of 15000 but shud be close by..
But this is my opinion..
Cheersss
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:00   #274
Senior - BHPian

Best digital camera inside Rs. 25000

Hi,

A friend of mine wants to buy a digital camera between Rs 20000-25000.
Which is the besttttt camera she can get in this category?
We've done some research and have come up with these:

Canon A630 - 8 megapixel
I think this is the best among the Canon choices. Buttt WHAT'S UP WITH THE FOUR AA BATTERIES!!!

Canon A640 - 10 megapixel
Tooo expensive, but great features. Low ISO - 800. The SD40 offers ISO 1600. Even this one uses 4 AA batteries!

Canon SD40 - 7 megapixel
Rules in styling!! But more expensive than the A630.

Sony DSC-T50 - 7 megapixel
Very easy to handle. Its convinient and practical to carry around anytime.

Sony DSC-H5 - 7 megapixel
The most impractical. Although it looks great and you can fit numerous filters/lens easily on to it, its expensive and will be a pain to carry it around.

I personally think the A630 or the T50 are the best preferred choices in that order. But four AA batteries in the A630 is preposterous! If you need to carry spare batteries, you'll end up being an electromagnet yourself!! And it'll be a pain to charge batteries.

If you have any news of any new launches by Sony, then please do post. The Sony H5 is quite old, since it was launched way back in Feb 06 and may be replaced soon. The Canon's listed here are all relatively new, launched in Aug 06.

Note: Threads Merged.

Last edited by Rtech : 2nd November 2006 at 10:27.
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:12   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nothing beats the Panasonic Lumix FX01 .

I have an FX01, and sad to say that a lot beats it! I love the small size and image stabilizer and the awesome movie mode, but the lens is not the best and the images usually have a watercolor kind of effect when seen in 100%.

I would recommend (in no particular order)
- Canon SD series (small and compact)
- Canon A620 or 700 (Larger but good)
- Casio Z850 (My personal favorite)
- Any of the Sony's. They are all the same aside from their looks!
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:20   #276
BHPian

I prefer AA batt's instead of the proprietory ones!! I've got myself a good set of (8) 2400mA rechargeable batt's. On a long trip I managed to shoot over 600 snaps with almost 50% flash usage. Now when I ran out of these batteries I just had to stop at a road side tea-shop and get some more batteries which helped till I reached a place where I could recharge. I strongly believe that the AA batt's are more practical if you travel a lot and have a habit of shooting anything and everything you see.
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:09   #277
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys the High ISO rating of 800 and 1600 in the P&S cameras are not really usable for prints. Bigger sensor size is more important. better photography mag had reviewed Samsung NV10 in the october issue, the results were stunning and grains and artifacts were minimal due to the 1/1.8 sensor size. most of the P&S cameras have a 1/2.5 sensor in order to keep the costs down, this in turn results in a unsuable shots at high ISOs.
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:22   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon
Canon A630 - 8 megapixel
Canon A640 - 10 megapixel
Canon SD40 - 7 megapixel
Sony DSC-T50 - 7 megapixel
Sony DSC-H5 - 7 megapixel
Frankly, does it really make sense to buy >5MP cameras for jpeg shooting? I am not really sure why all these manufacturers are releasing these high MP JPEG shooting cameras. Is it just marketing gimmick, or something more...
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:35   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Frankly, does it really make sense to buy >5MP cameras for jpeg shooting? I am not really sure why all these manufacturers are releasing these high MP JPEG shooting cameras. Is it just marketing gimmick, or something more...
I use MPs as a partial subsitute for zoom.
So a bird shot at 300mm can be cropped to give me more "digital zoom"
But agree, 8-10MP is good enough for most tasks, and most new cams are in that range.

Also marketing plays a role here. For most people more MP = Better cam.

Infact many people go for Canon 350D instead of D50 from nikon due to MP! though a 6-8MP difference hardly makes a difference.
Old 2nd November 2006, 12:44   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtech
Canon A620 or 700 (Larger but good)
Its old and discontinued. Which is why we're looking at 630 which replaced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Have never gone into so much detail. But whats wrong with JPEG?! If not JPEG, what should it be?

The thing about these cams are that they have an image stabilizer, aperture and shutter priority which is unavailable in the lower models. And even if its there, its an old product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
For most people more MP = Better cam.
What does quality depend on then?

I'm STILL learning
Old 2nd November 2006, 13:16   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What does quality depend on then? I'm STILL learning
I am no way subject matter expert. But as I see, quality will not just depend on resolution. It will also depend on exact color reproduction (depends on sensors than number of pixels), noise/sharpness of the picture etc.

JPEG is lossy compression format. Everytime you edit it, you'll lose orignal data. So, it's good as final image.
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:30   #282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its old and discontinued. Which is why we're looking at 630 which replaced it.
Good strategy, get the latest, but dont just look at MPs
Quote:
Have never gone into so much detail. But whats wrong with JPEG?! If not JPEG, what should it be?
Nothing wrong with JPEG. Its just that if you want to put your pics on internet, and dont want large prints, 5MP is enough. Sometimes 10MP will be a disadvantage with companies like casio etc., which are in the business of making cheaper cams.
Quote:
The thing about these cams are that they have an image stabilizer, aperture and shutter priority which is unavailable in the lower models. And even if its there, its an old product.
Shutter priority etc., manual modes are available in 6-7MP cams also. These are much better than some 10MP cheapo cams which offer just MPs and nothing else

Quote:
What does quality depend on then?

I'm STILL learning
[/quote]
Lots of things like
1. Noise at high ISO : Some of these 10MP cams are unusable over ISO 100
2. Purple fringing, lens defects etc., : Poor quality lenses used to cut cost.
3. Dynamic range : On a scene with lots of shadow and bright light areas, these cams cover only a part of range, leading to washed out pics or too dark pics
4. focus and exposure accuracy.
More MPs on a small sensor means more noise.
Canon usually makes good cames in S2/S3 and A700 range, with nice lense and decent high ISO performance
another good contender is Fuji F series starting with F10. Small compact digicam with amazing results!

but in the end it all depends on the shooter, and the camera is just at tool.
Old 10th November 2006, 10:39   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower
Just bought a Canon S3 from Singapore for 690 S$ which includes a 512mb sd card along with the 16 mb one, rechargeable battries, tripod stand( Very Small 1 though), lens cleaning kit and a bag. I guess landed a good deal. Say what guys??

I am learning to use it properly. Can u people suggest some good website to learn the basics? There are many Photography guru's here, so please distribute som gyan to us too.

Bbye and take care

Happy Diwali
On auto mode, the S3IS tends to take very noisy pictures except in bright sunny conditions as it pushes the ISO too high. My suggestion is to use the 'P' mode. This is a lovely mode which is fully auto, but yet allows you to choose to manually select one or more parameters (say ISO or f stop) and it automatically selects the other parameters to give a good exposure. I use mine on P mode with ISO set to 100 for regular photography and most pics come out very nice. You also need to let it do it's thing for a split second, especially focus otherwise you will get blurry pictures. I always use half press to let it auto focus/exposure, then click.
Old 10th November 2006, 11:20   #284
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi
the new kodak 880 has good features like
* Fast f/2.8–f/4.1
* 24–140 mm wide-angle lens
* 5.8X optical zoom, professional-quality SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON Optical Zoom Lens featuring manual zoom and focus rings

Capture maximum clarity and detail with exceptional resolution

* 8.0 MP sensor for excellent resolution and prints up to 30 × 40 in. (75 × 100 cm)
* Capture stunning, accurate color with KODAK Color Science
cost is Rs 22500 at jjemhta.com
Old 10th November 2006, 13:45   #285
Team-BHP Support

for all those guys in the MP race it is the size of teh sensor that makes a difference. After a while 6 or 10 MP on a 1/6" or smaller sensor will only increase noise. that is why you find so many modern compact 10MP with 1/8" sensons are so noisy. yes in camera processing and stuff like Noise Ninja can help but that is besides the point.

Most Viewed