Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2023, 14:42   #586
BHPian

Re: The Headphones Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Has Sennheiser stopped the entry-level headphones like HD 201, 202, etc? Can't seem to find them anymore. I am very fond of the 201, especially its low bass, and find it to be very comfortable for wearing for long hours. Any similar alternatives?
Unfortunately yes, the HD201s and 202s have been stopped. I still have my HD202 that I bought in mid 2014 and the bloody thing, although worn out, won't die. I'm not finding any good headphones in the price range that match the sound quality of HD201s and HD202s. The way I see it is the market has tilted towards in-ear earphones, and the market for headphones has tilted towards premium wired/ wireless ones. The ones in lower price brackets doesn't offer the bang for buck the HD20Xs offered. So you've to either bump the budget to 4x-7x of HD201s for a good headphone or settle for some in-ear earphones in price bracket of HD20Xs. Difficult choice I must say.

Cheers!
Old 16th November 2023, 23:31   #587
Distinguished - BHPian

Been using the Sony WH1000XM4’s for a long time and the itch to upgrade to something else kicked in during the diwali sale season. Ended up getting the Focal Bathys and the sound quality seems to be amazing as expected. ANC is decent and nothing much to talk about. The option to use it in USB DAC mode is nice. The recently updated firmware/app which includes a mimi.io sound personalisation is a nice touch. It also has a Dynamic EQ mode which is close to the Harman curve (as per them). Build quality is outstanding and I like the fact that it has physical buttons. Battery life is above average at over 30hrs with ANC.

The Headphones Thread-img_1047.jpeg

Last edited by robimahanta : 16th November 2023 at 23:40.
robimahanta is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 20:20   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Well, after many years of debate I finally caved in last year and went in for yet another beautiful Sennheiser headphone. The HD 800s which to me is my end game gear. I call it the Darth Vader or the Princess Leia headphone for obvious reasons.
All I want to know is, does your wife know the original price you paid for these bad boys ?
Old 10th January 2024, 20:52   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
All I want to know is, does your wife know the original price you paid for these bad boys ?
Oh, well, yes she approved but rather grudgingly. There was a price to pay subsequently but looking back it seems fine.

With this I attained my end game and will search no further. There are no regrets. Technically there are better headphones than this one (think Stax electrostats or even some say the Beyerdynamic T1 among many others) but strictly IMHO it don't get better. Sennheiser sound is one that I've appreciated since the 2000s. It is one brand of ear gear that I know I will wind up preferring. Just a personal choice or dare I say it a bias.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 00:25   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

I think that even HD600 or HD650, depending on taste, can be endgame headphones.

Many don't like the treble of the HD800. For me, with HF hearing loss, it is particular suitable. I love also it's general clarity.

I was happy with HD600. But when I first heard my friend's HD800 I knew I had to have one. Actually, I bought his off him a few months later. I bought new pads and headband cushion.

The headband cushions are rubbish: they wear out in no time. I now have a third-party option from ZMF, which is very comfortable and will last longer than the Senn original.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 16:59   #591
BHPian

Hello,

I have Sennheiser Headphones which are not working due to some battery leakage issue.

Mumbai Customer Service number is always ringing; so finally decided to take it to them personally and get an update.

I was informed that it cannot be serviced here and sent to Delhi branch. I am not keen n sending it there as I am not sure how the transit will be.

Are there any local well known and reliable repair shops who can sort this out without being extremely expensive.

Just like FNG for cars; think having a reliable repair shop will help avoid massive (repair) costs when it comes to music enthusiasts.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 17th January 2024, 09:40   #592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
I was informed that it cannot be serviced here and sent to Delhi branch. I am not keen n sending it there as I am not sure how the transit will be.
What model Senn headphones are these? Sennheiser's Mumbai service centre is for their professional line of gear while their customer line is serviced at Gurgaon IIRC. You can get the battery repaired at a so called generic repair shop but wary as they are all custom made and fit and 3rd party can give surprises. Try on eBay Intl. too.
Old 17th January 2024, 09:52   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think that even HD600 or HD650, depending on taste, can be endgame headphones.

Many don't like the treble of the HD800. For me, with HF hearing loss, it is particular suitable. I love also it's general clarity.

I was happy with HD600. But when I first heard my friend's HD800 I knew I had to have one. Actually, I bought his off him a few months later. I bought new pads and headband cushion.

The headband cushions are rubbish: they wear out in no time. I now have a third-party option from ZMF, which is very comfortable and will last longer than the Senn original.
The HD 650 is what started it for me back in '07 and they certainly were my end game until one day in 2009 when the HD 800 was introduced and on auditioning that set I was floored by the imaging and spatial sound. It was 2009 after all and there was no headphone my ears had experienced that came even remotely close to the HD 800. I was kind of gob smacked TBH. Make no mistake I still love the HD 6x0 (and to a lesser extent HD 5xx series) of headphones and they are frequently used.

The HD 80x series treble is a tad bright for my tastes but these are supposed to be revealing 'audiophile grade' cans and I can't really fault them. The downsides - the HD 800s's bulk does not lend itself to frequent use, the grip over the ears could be better, those expensive pads (I bought a spare set) are a let down and require more frequent replacement than ear pads of the HD 6x0 series. Need to try ZMF next time.

Rumours say Senn is likely to announce a HD 9xx series in the future. Wouldn't it be lovely if the new model turned out be a planar magnetic!

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th January 2024 at 09:54. Reason: typo
Old 17th January 2024, 16:33   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The HD 80x series treble is a tad bright for my tastes but these are supposed to be revealing 'audiophile grade' cans and I can't really fault them.
Well, I am getting more than a little deaf in my old age. High-frequency hearing loss, although lesser frequencies are compromised too now. HD800 was the perfect prescription! Female voices as I hadn't heard them for years.

I find them reasonably comfortable, expecially with the ZMF headband cover. (I think it is called "crescent?). I think I must have big ears, and I don't like them being squashed! The HD800 settles around them quite nicely.
Old 18th January 2024, 09:46   #595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, I am getting more than a little deaf in my old age. High-frequency hearing loss, although lesser frequencies are compromised too now. HD800 was the perfect prescription! Female voices as I hadn't heard them for years.

I find them reasonably comfortable, expecially with the ZMF headband cover. (I think it is called "crescent?). I think I must have big ears, and I don't like them being squashed! The HD800 settles around them quite nicely.
I guess hearing loss is normal after 40-45. It begins ever so subtly and progresses as the decades roll by. How much you lose in terms of high frequency sensitivity is down to each person. Now that I am well into middle age my hearing tops out at about 13-14 KHz.

I have eased off on HP use especially the closed back variety. Now about noise cancelling models; the Sony XM series for e.g. give me a nice bout of tinnitus should I ever switch on NC mode.
Old 26th February 2024, 14:45   #596
BHPian

I have a V-Moda Crossfade LP2 wired headphones and Sony WH-1000XM4 wireless ANC headphones.
The V-Modas are DJ headphones and are bass heavy but does not sound muddy or intrusive in relation to the mids and highs to me.
In comparison, I am not very happy with the XM4s as per the sound is concern. ANC is good but bass and overall clarity is somewhat not as good as the V-Moda LP2s, even though the LP2s are known to be Bassy.

I would prefer to sell the XM4s and break my savings to get the Focal Bathys or forget about ANC completely and get Hifiman Deva Pro with Bluemini R2R Dongle.
Yes, ANC is not a must have feature for me, I don't travel much and even if I do, I prefer driving. ANC use case for me was to be able to enjoy my music in silence but sadly the sound quality is a let down.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 26th February 2024 at 14:46.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 11:37   #597
BHPian

Anyone here tried unboxify.in for earbuds. They sometimes have brand new items for sale at a price better than amazon/flipkart. Are they legit?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks