Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2016, 12:04   #9631
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I got an update notification in itunes when i connected my iphone 7 to my PC. The size was 2.2 GB. There is no change in version. Its still the same 10.1.1. Reddit users were saying there is a change in the build and nothing apart from that. Strangely there is no OTA update for this.
Old 26th November 2016, 11:06   #9632
BHPian

Flipkart is offering i Phone 6 for 33900, I have a Micromax to exchange,which further brings it down to 30500. And there is a interest free EMI on my HDFC credit card. Should I bite the bait ?? Or the price can fall further due to de monitisation effect. The offer is valid only on space grey 16 GB model.
Old 26th November 2016, 11:16   #9633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Flipkart is offering i Phone 6 for 33900, I have a Micromax to exchange,which further brings it down to 30500. And there is a interest free EMI on my HDFC credit card. Should I bite the bait ?? Or the price can fall further due to de monitisation effect. The offer is valid only on space grey 16 GB model.

My honest opinion is dont buy it. First of all iphone 6 is no more in production. 16GB is a paltry storage! If you want an iphone, buy the 6s or SE or 7 if you can stretch. If you have a citibank credit card, you have some great deals & cashback on iphone. Whats your budget?
Old 26th November 2016, 12:03   #9634
BHPian

In iphone how to reduce other storage?

In my 6s plus it is taking way too much space.
Old 26th November 2016, 12:05   #9635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Flipkart is offering i Phone 6 for 33900
This same phone was 29200 without exchange and zero EMI about three weeks back. You can wait for a better deal than this.
Old 26th November 2016, 15:03   #9636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
In iphone how to reduce other storage?

In my 6s plus it is taking way too much space.
Connect to itunes, backup, reinstall os and restore backed up data. All temp. files will be cleared.
Old 28th November 2016, 13:51   #9637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Connect to itunes, backup, reinstall os and restore backed up data. All temp. files will be cleared.
Iwould not mind doing it except phone is less then one month old and already 3 gb in other storage sucked.

At this rate would have to do this every 3 weeks, not practical.

Anyone any suggestions on diagnosing other space. Just to confirm I use no apps and only have whatsapp installed.
Old 28th November 2016, 14:26   #9638
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone any suggestions on diagnosing other space. Just to confirm I use no apps and only have whatsapp installed.
Then it could be your whatsapp media showing up. I hardly bother checking my 'other' as I use a 128 gb one and haven't felt the need to go on an austerity drive yet.
Old 28th November 2016, 15:08   #9639
BHPian

Quote:
Iwould not mind doing it except phone is less then one month old and already 3 gb in other storage sucked.

At this rate would have to do this every 3 weeks, not practical.

I noticed something similar this weekend.

If i went into Settings>Storage Usage, WhatsApp was listed as using more than 2 GB space but if i looked at storage usage within WhatsApp, it was merely 500 MB after deleting the videos.

I assumed that these video files must have been saved within the isolated storage for the app so to clear this i took a fresh backup within WhatsApp (which came to around 500MB) and then deleted and reinstalled the app.

This freed up more than 2GB of space which was listed as being used by WhatsApp.

Hope this helps !
Old 28th November 2016, 15:18   #9640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have a two-year old iPhone 6 64 Gb. I have about 44 Gb free and the phone works as it should and there's no issue whatsoever.

However, in these two years, I have installed and uninstalled quite a bunch of apps and some apps use way too much space (Facebook has some 900 Mb, LinkedIn around 500, Messenger and Instagram in the similar range).

Coming from the days of Windows based laptops, I am tempted to factory reset the phone just to flush out unnecessary cache and system files.

Is there any benefit by resetting? If there is no real advantage, is there any disadvantage? I have a mini OCD when it comes to clutter and junk so I'm terribly tempted to do the reset!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchir031 View Post
On Androids yup, you can notice performance improvements but no so much on iPhones, maybe marginal speed improvement. Although you won't notice it. However, over the years it would definitely have collected a lot of junk/cached data and resetting is a good way to get rid of those.
I assume all the iOS updates would stay even after the reset.

I think my phone came with 8.x so if the phone went back to that after the reset, I'd have a crazy amount of updates (in terms of size and time) to do!
Old 28th November 2016, 15:22   #9641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I assume all the iOS updates would stay even after the reset.
They will. The software on iPhone's cannot be downgraded, even manually, unless the last 1-2 updates are still being signed.
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:58   #9642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Reliance Digital, Citibank, Jio and Airtel have great offers:
1. INR 10,000 cash back after three months from Citibank.
2. Reliance Digital cash back of INR 3,000 after three months.
3.Carry your Adhar card while purchasing and get a Jio sim with completely free data and voice plans which are in effect till 31st December 2017, yes 2017 as per the newspapers today.
Planning to buy iPhone 7 during this weakened from Reliance Digital store. Been offered CitiBank cashback of 7k and Jio sim with 1 year free data/voice. Now that offer is extended till March 2017, it might go beyond 2018.

I would like to know if you happen to have used the free Jio sim given along with your iPhone in JioFi hotspot. I am planning to do so and use my regular sim in the new iPhone and make most of the free 4G LTE through the hotspot. As per plans listed here by Jio, we can get 40GB/month through hotspot. But, I was informed in one of the shops that Jio sim has to be used in iPhone little confused here.
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:54   #9643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Planning to buy iPhone 7 during this weakened from Reliance Digital store. Been offered CitiBank cashback of 7k and Jio sim with 1 year free data/voice. Now that offer is extended till March 2017, it might go beyond 2018.

I would like to know if you happen to have used the free Jio sim given along with your iPhone in JioFi hotspot. I am planning to do so and use my regular sim in the new iPhone and make most of the free 4G LTE through the hotspot. As per plans listed here by Jio, we can get 40GB/month through hotspot. But, I was informed in one of the shops that Jio sim has to be used in iPhone little confused here.

Not sure about the SIM which has to be used in iphone only. However what I can tell you is, Jio speeds has become pathetic, especially with iphone. I have a colleague at work who uses Jio sim.He gets only 0.5mbps or less. So I would suggest dont use Jio as your primary SIM.
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:21   #9644
BHPian

Quote:
I would like to know if you happen to have used the free Jio sim given along with your iPhone in JioFi hotspot.
The iPhone offer plan will begin after 31st December. I'm using a 7 Plus and had it activated by inserting the Jio Sim. As of now, it's the welcome offer I am on, which should convert to iPhone offer after 31st. Afaik, there is no special sim particularly to avail iPhone offer. If you had a Jio Sim previously and use it to activate an iPhone purchased after 8th of October, you'll get the offer. I'm currently using the sim in a JioDongle (similar to JioFi). Call it a compact router.

Quote:
we can get 40GB/month through hotspot. But, I was informed in one of the shops that Jio sim has to be used in iPhone little confused here.
I Hope you know the 40GB/month is for public WiFi Hotspot, i.e, you can use up to 40GB/month by connecting to public WiFi's of Jio by using JioNet. You'll get 20GB/month & unlimited at night as regular data. No, you don't need the sim to be in your iPhone. Just download JioNet from App Store and login with your Jio ID to avail access to public WiFi.
Old 2nd December 2016, 13:05   #9645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Been offered CitiBank cashback of 7k and Jio sim
Also check Ipad offer, you can get ipad mini @ 2000 with iphone plus usual cash back with citi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks