Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2016, 13:04   #9481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
hi all,

unfortunately my brand new iphone 6s got lost / stolen during my trip to china. I tried to track the phone thru find my iphone, but the phone has been offline since the time it was lost. I think only once it connected to the network. I did log in to icloud and enable the "lost mode".
Now, im pretty sure that I wont get my phone back, but wanted to know if there is anyway the person who is holding the phone can access my information? The phone was 6 digit pin locked.
Weirdly, i was billed Rs500 from itunes the next day of the phone being lost. I have not bought anything in itunes and neither has my wife. So just to be safe, i blocked my credit card which was linked to my iphone.

I'm yet to reach India and hopefully once I get back i intend to check with apple on this issue { i cannot do it now since i dont have the imei number }

Also, is there a way to disable the phone by blocking the imei number? Who should i contact for this?

please let me know your thoughts.
For the itunes purchase, I think you can get the details of the purchase from their e-mail itself. As mentioned already, sometimes the billing happen later than when the purchase was done. With a 6 digit passcode, your data is pretty much safe. iPhones are encrypted by default and there is no easy way of accrssing the data in it.
Old 15th October 2016, 14:19   #9482
BHPian

Hi guys! Here in Lucknow, I have started getting discounts around 3-4k on the iPhone 7. Any news regarding this from other cities?
Old 16th October 2016, 16:19   #9483
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
Perhaps if, for some reason, the prompt didn't appear that might be the reason the phone is not showing-up on the PC.
Sirji, Pop Up Doesn't show up for some reason. Not sure why though.

Have downloaded the latest itunes and still facing the issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
1. Try restarting your Laptop / PC and at the same time, restart your iPhone.
2. If it doesn't show up as a drive after restarting, try updating the device drivers in Device management under Control Panel.
3. If both of the above options fail, use third party application to delete files. using iTunes to access photos will be of less help
Updated to latest drivers and Itunes, still facing issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Try updating to latest version of iTunes - may be drivers are missing or it might be the cable fault .
Thanks a ton for all your help. Highly appreciated
Old 16th October 2016, 16:25   #9484
Distinguished - BHPian

I am using an Iphone 5 and installed the swiftkey keyboard on it and have made it the primary keyboard under settings. But nevertheless every now and then I am shifted back to the default apple keypad while using whatsapp. I re-installed the keyboard but the problem has persisted. Any idea why is it happening. The phone becomes laggy and sort of freezes and then the default keyboard appears instead of the swiftkey one.
Old 16th October 2016, 17:07   #9485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Sirji, Pop Up Doesn't show up for some reason. Not sure why though.

Have downloaded the latest itunes and still facing the issue

Updated to latest drivers and Itunes, still facing issues.

Thanks a ton for all your help. Highly appreciated
Have you tried all the obvious things like using a different USB cable, plugging into a different USB slot, making sure the laptop is powered and not on battery, etc? If it isn't asking you if you want to trust the computer that is most likely why it won't show on the explorer.
Old 16th October 2016, 17:21   #9486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am using an Iphone 5 and installed the swiftkey keyboard on it and have made it the primary keyboard under settings. But nevertheless every now and then I am shifted back to the default apple keypad while using whatsapp. I re-installed the keyboard but the problem has persisted. Any idea why is it happening. The phone becomes laggy and sort of freezes and then the default keyboard appears instead of the swiftkey one.
There has been a long history of 3rd party keyboards not working perfectly well with iOS.

Even when the keyboard works reasonably ok, for certain sensitive things such as passwords and card information, iOS will force you to use the built in keyboard for security reasons.
Old 16th October 2016, 18:43   #9487
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea why is it happening. The phone becomes laggy and sort of freezes and then the default keyboard appears instead of the swiftkey one.
Why do you need SwiftKey? Firstly on iOS it breaches the privacy by collecting the data. Secondly, its not as feature rich as in Android.

In android, i liked it because of vibration feedback which is not possible in iOS. And predictive text is already present in default keyboard which is much faster and secure.

So unless you need swiping (which is nearly useless unless you type only in english), I don't see much use of installing a slow, buggy 3rd party keyboard.
Old 16th October 2016, 19:26   #9488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
So unless you need swiping (which is nearly useless unless you type only in english), I don't see much use of installing a slow, buggy 3rd party keyboard.
I use swype 100% of the times. I can't type any other way. And it is not useless. It is the most wonderful thing to have ever been introduced, ofcourse you need to be used to it. And it can learn new words so you can type in any language including hinglish.

I honestly don't understand why apple cant introduce the same in their default keyboard.
Old 16th October 2016, 21:09   #9489
BHPian

Quote:
I use swype 100% of the times. I can't type any other way. And it is not useless. It is the most wonderful thing to have ever been introduced, ofcourse you need to be used to it. And it can learn new words so you can type in any language including hinglish.

I honestly don't understand why apple cant introduce the same in their default keyboard.
Is the problem only with Swiftkey? Have you tried this out with another Swype enabled keyboard, Touchpal for example. I used to use Swiftkey before on iOS. Never faced the issue.

However am not using it these days, from the day I noticed it doing analytics on the words I type. In fact I've removed all third party keyboard from my iPhone. Privacy is turning out to be a luxury these days.
Old 16th October 2016, 21:19   #9490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Is the problem only with Swiftkey? Have you tried this out with another Swype enabled keyboard, Touchpal for example. I used to use Swiftkey before on iOS. Never faced the issue.
No its happening with all third party keyboards. I installed Gboard, google's keyboard, and even it started hanging similarly. Tried to re-install it but the problem persisted. Hence uninstalled it. Swiftkey freezes lesser compared to Gboard but still its freezing every now and then. I am not sure what the problem is. The phone is running on IOS 10 and even on the older version the problem was the same.
Old 17th October 2016, 05:38   #9491
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
hi all,

unfortunately my brand new iphone 6s got lost / stolen during my trip to china. I tried to track the phone thru find my iphone, but the phone has been offline since the time it was lost. I think only once it connected to the network. I did log in to icloud and enable the "lost mode".
Now, im pretty sure that I wont get my phone back, but wanted to know if there is anyway the person who is holding the phone can access my information? The phone was 6 digit pin locked.
Weirdly, i was billed Rs500 from itunes the next day of the phone being lost. I have not bought anything in itunes and neither has my wife. So just to be safe, i blocked my credit card which was linked to my iphone.

I'm yet to reach India and hopefully once I get back i intend to check with apple on this issue { i cannot do it now since i dont have the imei number }

Also, is there a way to disable the phone by blocking the imei number? Who should i contact for this?
Sad to hear about your phone getting lost. Fingers crossed, that you are able to recover it.

With regards to blocking the IMEI number, i don't think Apple can help you with this. All you can do in this scenario is put the device in lost mode using iCloud. You could contact local law enforcement to report the loss, and provide IMEI number, but i doubt they would bother looking for the phone, considering how many devices get lost/stolen/misplaced on a daily basis. Also, they would bring up additional questions such as proving proof of ownership etc, and with you being in a different country at the moment, don't think this is going to help.

Whenever someone tries to activate your phone even during the resetting process, it will prompt for the apple id pwd you used on the device for iCloud, so no one will be able to activate the phone and use it. What could happen is the phone getting dismantled to source parts.
Old 17th October 2016, 06:06   #9492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Sad to hear about your phone getting lost. Fingers crossed, that you are able to recover it.

With regards to blocking the IMEI number, i don't think Apple can help you with this. All you can do in this scenario is put the device in lost mode using iCloud.
Additionally, what is very likely to happen is that you're going to get a stream of phish emails that say "your phone was found at [some location], click here to locate it" that will try to steal your Apple ID / password.

Erase your device ASAP besides marking it lost.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201472
Old 17th October 2016, 21:23   #9493
BHPian

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1476719590.611918.jpg
610/-
Not too bad at all
Old 18th October 2016, 13:17   #9494
BHPian

I was struggling with my home media setup as I was unable to stream movies or content from my iphone to my TVs. I have a WD TV Live and a PS3 for playing media and a Synology NAS for my media content. I was wanting a way to stream web content to the TV easily from my iphone as I dont have AppleTV. I found some apps from Zappo that finally enabled me to do this. They have apps for sending media content from phones psuedo browser to Smart TVs via dedicated apps for the major brands (Samsung, LG, Sony etc) which are free. They also have another media player app which is paid but that can stream content from almost any source to a smart tv. This makes my WD TV Live Media player redundant for casual viewing/photos/home videos etc. Sharing this incase others have a similar need.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:23   #9495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I was struggling with my home media setup as I was unable to stream movies or content from my iphone to my TVs. I have a WD TV Live and a PS3 for playing media and a Synology NAS for my media content. This makes my WD TV Live Media player redundant for casual viewing/photos/home videos etc. Sharing this incase others have a similar need.
I use a similar setup, only I have a Nvidia ilo ps3 and a wd book for a NAS. I solved a lot of my media streaming problems by moving Netflix, YouTube etc to the WDTV, and using Plex server on Nvidia for free. Plex of Kobe is the way to go, if u have some versions of Synology is what I hear.

Quick question for those who've done a screen repair on a iPhone6. Does it really cost 9~12k, (in the US Apple fixes it ~$120) and some service guys like ifix seem to be pushing a new ip6 for 24k.

As it's my spouse's office phone, think expensing may work better in this case. Also Apple is completely MIA wrt service policies. When I spoke to Applecare, they told me it was upto each service center in India, to define service charges, replace plans etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks