Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2016, 16:48   #9361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Does True Caller work with iPhone? I've installed it but it doesn't pop-up when I receive a call. It used to work fine in my android phone but is of no use in iPhone, any idea if I'm doing something wrong?
Old 28th September 2016, 17:23   #9362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Errr...why did you expect there to be a compatibility issue? It's the same phone.
It is not the same phone. The model number sold in US (A1522) is different from model number sold in India (A1524). The supported bands are different. Check the following link.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-6-iphone-6-plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Few years back the 4G band supported in US was different than in India. Only 3G used to work on US iPhones when in India.
It is the same situation, at least for me in Kolkata. I have an iphone 6 bought from the US which does not support 4G on Airtel. But if I use a Vodafone sim, it works fine.

Came to know about frequency bands after reading some articles like this one.

http://bestphones.co.in/airtel-4g-no...ng-on-iphone-6
Old 28th September 2016, 18:53   #9363
Senior - BHPian

My iPhone 6 is from the USA and works perfectly well on Airtel 4G. Did you buy some carrier locked phone and then unlock it or was it an unlocked device from the start?
Old 28th September 2016, 19:29   #9364
BHPian

My understanding is though Airtel has coverage across states, the frequency spectrum is different. One of my earlier AT&T locked phones would not work in chennai but would work in rest of TN. This was pre-smart phones days
Old 28th September 2016, 22:01   #9365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Does True Caller work with iPhone? I've installed it but it doesn't pop-up when I receive a call. It used to work fine in my android phone but is of no use in iPhone, any idea if I'm doing something wrong?

It's doesn't work same way as Android. You don't get pop-up like Android while receiving call. Instead you need to get caller details from app. later or from call history by sharing using a true caller app. or adding widget in Notification menu.
Old 29th September 2016, 13:10   #9366
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

For the longest time I've been putting up with Airtel for their crappy network coverage, but now I'm beginning to think whether it's a problem with my iPhone 6S (A1688).

I lose call as well as data at the most random places - for example, Koramangala Sony World signal (and 5th, 6th and 4th blocks), Indiranagar 100ft road, sitting on my couch in the drawing room of my house (Banaswadi), HSR layout! Another problem is loss of data connectivity (and call drop) whilst switching between towers. I've to manually go to Airplane mode and then I get the connectivity back (for data). I mean, what the heck!

Sometimes it shows up to four or five bars but I can't browse!
The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475134205.701594.jpg
This was at Sony World signal, Koramangala.

I've had this problem since I got the 6S (my 5S also had similar problems) and I've been chasing Airtel for this. Couple of months back I had received a carrier update and after that things have become worse (I think). I don't know what's wrong with this thing (phone or SIM), but it's really getting on my nerves.

Anybody out there with similar problems?

PS: Yes, I've reset the device a couple of times.

Edit: and I'm running iOS 10.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 29th September 2016 at 13:17.
Old 29th September 2016, 15:03   #9367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
For the longest time I've been putting up with Airtel for their crappy network coverage, but now I'm beginning to think whether it's a problem with my iPhone 6S (A1688).

I lose call as well as data at the most random places - for example, Koramangala Sony World signal (and 5th, 6th and 4th blocks), Indiranagar 100ft road, sitting on my couch in the drawing room of my house (Banaswadi), HSR layout! Another problem is loss of data connectivity (and call drop) whilst switching between towers. I've to manually go to Airplane mode and then I get the connectivity back (for data). I mean, what the heck!

Sometimes it shows up to four or five bars but I can't browse!
Attachment 1560580
This was at Sony World signal, Koramangala.

I've had this problem since I got the 6S (my 5S also had similar problems) and I've been chasing Airtel for this. Couple of months back I had received a carrier update and after that things have become worse (I think). I don't know what's wrong with this thing (phone or SIM), but it's really getting on my nerves.

Anybody out there with similar problems?

PS: Yes, I've reset the device a couple of times.

Edit: and I'm running iOS 10.
I had same problems when I visited Bangalore this May, By phone would randomly go out of signal, I was on roaming hence the only option was to visit home circle(Kerala) and get a replacement sim. My friend was with me and he had a 6s and he had absolutely no problem, both our sims were Vodafone 4G, during this trip I was to travel to TN via road and there was absolutely no issues in TN. I suspect it has to do with iPhones and the number of users registered with any particular tower and the signal not locking on, This is what the Vodafone customer care told me in Bangalore, Another thing was, if I am on a call the signal will not get lost looks like some issue with the signal from a tower locking on to the handset. Try to get a new sim and check if the problem persists.

pramod
Old 29th September 2016, 17:55   #9368
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I had same problems when I visited Bangalore this May, By phone would randomly go out of signal, I was on roaming hence the only option was to visit home circle(Kerala) and get a replacement sim. My friend was with me and he had a 6s and he had absolutely no problem, both our sims were Vodafone 4G, during this trip I was to travel to TN via road and there was absolutely no issues in TN. I suspect it has to do with iPhones and the number of users registered with any particular tower and the signal not locking on, This is what the Vodafone customer care told me in Bangalore, Another thing was, if I am on a call the signal will not get lost looks like some issue with the signal from a tower locking on to the handset. Try to get a new sim and check if the problem persists.

pramod

When I had the 5S, I had gotten the SIM changed, twice. Btw, my wife's 5S has severe network issues. People can't reach her most of the times even though the network shows four bars. I've reset the network settings on her phone twice, but the problem persists.

Is this a carrier setting problem?
Old 29th September 2016, 18:18   #9369
Team-BHP Support

Airtel network has its quirks and places like sony world and Indira Nagar 100 ft road where the network traffic is high (especially peak hours), connectivity can be crazy. Same sony world try to check during off peak hours (early mornings), you will be surprised. So i think it is more to do with available bandwidth at the tower end than device issue.

In short yes i also see some weird behavior with connectivity on my iPhone 6.
Old 29th September 2016, 18:30   #9370
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Funny thing happened just now. I called the Airtel Open Network (report an issue) number - 12118, the operator picks up and I say hello; she can't hear a thing I'm saying!

I was sitting in my drawing room and moved to other rooms hoping the network would get better and she would be able to hear me. After about a minute of me screaming hello and she telling me she can't hear me, she kept the phone down. It was showing four dots on the top of the screen.

Went to the balcony and dialled the same number and viola! The operator could hear me now. Me thinks it's all the metal in the building; should ask the builder to remove all of it

So I'm guessing this ain't a iPhone problem. Hmm..
Old 29th September 2016, 18:35   #9371
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

So I'm guessing this ain't a iPhone problem. Hmm..
What kind of case or bumper you are using? Remove and check if that helps in clearing the voice issue.
Old 29th September 2016, 18:42   #9372
Team-BHP Support

with my limited initial experience on i7 Plus, network connectivity has improved a lot. Not only I get 4 or 5 bars at most of the places but voice clarity is far better than 6 that I was using. I am on Airtel 3G.
Old 29th September 2016, 19:02   #9373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What kind of case or bumper you are using? Remove and check if that helps in clearing the voice issue.

I'm currently using the case from Spigen:
The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475155762.249164.jpg

Before this I had the slim fit case from MTT, which kept slipping from my hands and hence the change:
The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475155831.423320.jpg

Test with the case:
The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475155861.737130.jpg

Test without the case:
The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475155877.028158.jpg
Old 30th September 2016, 02:27   #9374
Distinguished - BHPian

Flipkart pre orders on the iPhone 7 have just started with a great offer on Citibank cards wherein you get 10k cash back give to you in January 2017. There is also a buyback exchange offer. However I'm confused if both offers can be availed together? Can someone confirm?
Old 30th September 2016, 06:57   #9375
Distinguished - BHPian

Earlier this week i unboxed my iPhone 7+

The iPhone Thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1475198796.896999.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks