Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2014, 14:10   #3151
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Though I don't use a GPS for route planning or for taking directions, I see the point you are trying to make here and quite agree with the approach. In any field of life even the best machine in the hands of people who don't know how to use it is totally worthless.
Exactly. We need to use machines as good servants. But many cases we end-up using it as bad masters. (A point that I have always been harping about).
Old 9th March 2014, 15:55   #3152
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Hi,

I need some advise on a PND. It could either be a dedicated unit like Garmin etc or a smartphone with an excellent navigational features. I have decided on the following conditions

Should be usable on an offline mode so that it works in areas with bad connectivity
Should come preloaded with India wide maps and enable regular and free updates (or at a reasonable price)
Should have voice turn by turn directions
If its a phone it should have built in GPS

I was looking at a smartphone anyways and am impressed by Nokia's 'Here Drive' app which seems to tick all the above boxes. Am considering Nokia Lumia 520/525 - any feedback is appreciated

As an alternative, the Garmin Nuvi 42LM model seems to be good, but I would not want to pay separately for MMI maps. Does Garmin not come with preloaded accurate maps for India? Also, does it satisfy all three conditions above?

Finally - and this maybe a really stupid question - a device like Garmin does not depend on any internet/data connectivity right? Does it work only via GPS?

Many thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 16:12   #3153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Finally - and this maybe a really stupid question - a device like Garmin does not depend on any internet/data connectivity right? Does it work only via GPS?
Yes, it does work with GPS satellites. My preference would be for a dedicated PND device like Garmin, as the advantages are with direct GPS connectivity, regular map updates and they are robust as in long drives. Voice functions are built-in feature for all the PND devices.
Old 9th March 2014, 18:02   #3154
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Yes, it does work with GPS satellites. My preference would be for a dedicated PND device like Garmin, as the advantages are with direct GPS connectivity, regular map updates and they are robust as in long drives. Voice functions are built-in feature for all the PND devices.
For a PND/Navigation device you need:

- GPS
- Map data on which the GPS co-ordinates are rendered.
- Utilities (Voice Guidance, Turn-by-turn, Route planning etc)

As regards to the above:
- GPS is available on PNDs or Phones.
- Map data you either store it on device or access via internet (3G/Wifi)
- Sources of map data :
* Google (Available on on phones/tablets via interner/cacheing )
* Garmin Navteq (available only for Garmin devices),
* Map my india (available on phone tablet via sygic app; for Garmin devices; for their own hardware)
* Nokia Maps (available only for Nokia. Earlier I think the source for Nokia and Garmin's own maps were same, viz Navteq)

Unless and until you are not looking at an integrated device like phone/tablet and GPS, even I would suggest a Garmin 24xx series along with Map My India maps.
Old 9th March 2014, 18:32   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Unless and until you are not looking at an integrated device like phone/tablet and GPS, even I would suggest a Garmin 24xx series along with Map My India maps.
Thanks so much, there is a Garmin 42LM available on flipkart for 9k with 'Detailed India/Malaysia' maps and 'Lifetime updates', are you suggesting that these are not accurate enough and hence I should buy the Garmin device, but replace these with MMI maps? If yes then what is the additional cost for that?

Quote:
- GPS
- Map data on which the GPS co-ordinates are rendered.
- Utilities (Voice Guidance, Turn-by-turn, Route planning etc)
As an alternative, If I choose an integrated device like a tablet and buy maps from Sygic/MMI, how much would the maps alone cost? And if it has to be a tablet, can you suggest one with good GPS and voice guidance - am assuming that if it has GPS and I have predownloaded maps then it will work even if no internet connectivity is there.

Please note that am not looking at spending more than 12k if its a tablet

thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 21:32   #3156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks so much, there is a Garmin 42LM available on flipkart for 9k with 'Detailed India/Malaysia' maps and 'Lifetime updates', are you suggesting that these are not accurate enough and hence I should buy the Garmin device, but replace these with MMI maps? If yes then what is the additional cost for that?
Garmin maps are good no doubt. But I can say any thing on their behalf. Since I have never used them. However for India the best maps are MMI. Hence my suggestion.

Quote:
As an alternative, If I choose an integrated device like a tablet and buy maps from Sygic/MMI, how much would the maps alone cost?
Sygic app with MMI maps is actually FREE ! Now I don't know why its like that but yes it is free!

What I don't know is how to get the utilities like route planning. You can voice navigation and turn-by-turn instruction. Need to figure out addition of single/multiple via points between source and destination. Also PC based route planning is not for this solution.

Quote:
And if it has to be a tablet, can you suggest one with good GPS and voice guidance - am assuming that if it has GPS and I have predownloaded maps then it will work even if no internet connectivity is there.
Any good Android Tablet should good. Try Nexus-7. Nexus-7 2013 version was available in Flipkart at 8K.
Old 9th March 2014, 21:47   #3157
BHPian

Quote:

Sygic app with MMI maps is actually FREE ! Now I don't know why its like that but yes it is free!

What I don't know is how to get the utilities like route planning. You can voice navigation and turn-by-turn instruction.
Thanks, so are you saying that if I get an Android Tab and d/l Sygic app the MMI maps come from free? Is it true for older OS like jelly bean etc? Is the voice nav default in most tabs or can it be downloaded?

Quote:

Any good Android Tablet should good. Try Nexus-7. Nexus-7 2013 version was available in Flipkart at 8K.
Thanks, checked this on flipkart but it does not have dongle support, can you pls recommend one with dongle support?

Finally, my most imp qs is if the Sygic/MMI stuff is free on android and if the tab has gps, then can the tab work as a PND even when there is no connectivity? I guess this is not true if one is using google maps

Apologies for so many questions
Old 9th March 2014, 21:56   #3158
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, so are you saying that if I get an Android Tab and d/l Sygic app the MMI maps come from free? Is it true for older OS like jelly bean etc? Is the voice nav default in most tabs or can it be downloaded?
Yes its available. Even I have it on my phone and tablet.

Quote:
Thanks, checked this on flipkart but it does not have dongle support, can you pls recommend one with dongle support?
Why do you need Dongle? I have a Nexus-7 (32GB) and I have installed Sygic. I have tried and it works. All you need is about 1 GB at most maps.
(OT : I use Garmin for the highways)

Quote:
Finally, my most imp qs is if the Sygic/MMI stuff is free on android and if the tab has gps, then can the tab work as a PND even when there is no connectivity? I guess this is not true if one is using google maps
Of course yes! Thats what I mentioned earlier. I have Nexus-7 with Sygic. I have put it on my Android phone as well and it works.
Old 10th March 2014, 10:35   #3159
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if it is off topic - I am getting a Duster 85 soon with a medianav (from LG). Whose map do they use and what are the update options? Would anyone know?
Old 10th March 2014, 12:06   #3160
BANNED

I (or rather my son) has MMI in his City AVN and Garmin in his wife's Amaze (2465LM). He found the latest 2014 quite Ok. MMI is the best but Garmin is catching up.
Old 10th March 2014, 22:21   #3161

Hi Everyone,
Very Exhaustive and Informative posts ,
I have personally relied on google maps on my Iphone for current city and highway driving till now . It has served me quite satisfactorily, except for some highway stretches where 3G or EDGE network is missing or erratic time lags in locating my coordinates even in the city.
Now, I am planning a round road trip of 2000 + kms in central India and am seriously contemplating investing in a GPS map device (MMI or Garmin) for this highway trip and future use as well . However, I could also see some posts on Team-BHP outlining the importance of paper maps (ttk ,Eicher, etc.).
I am now confused if I should invest in a GPS device or rely on good old paper maps. If GPS mounted devices are preferred I would also request your inputs for the best value for money device and which can guide me most accurately on this highway trip.
All help is deeply appreciated .
Warm Regards,
Old 11th March 2014, 10:49   #3162
BANNED

@Peripatetic; Pper maps are now history (or at least passe). As for the device you have two parameters - the device and the maps. As far devices go Garmin are kings, as for maps MMI may be somewhat better, esp if you are not looking at a big (or mid sized) city. Most Garmin units in India come with lifetime map upgrades. You pay your money and take your choice!
Old 11th March 2014, 13:20   #3163
BHPian

Noob question:
If pure PND devices do not rely on internet connection, how do the updates come??
Old 11th March 2014, 14:43   #3164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Noob question:
If pure PND devices do not rely on internet connection, how do the updates come??
You connect them to a PC and download the latest maps. Thats the way they are updated.
Old 11th March 2014, 14:47   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Noob question:
You can connect the device to a computer where you can update the maps.

Most Viewed