Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 11:23   #3211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

http://www.mapmyindia.com/mobile-apps

MMI has a new app NaviMaps available only for Andoid devices right now . Looks interesting

I have their Mireo DONT PANIC iPhone app ( 2700 INR ) which is really useless . Google Maps is my preferred navigation app wherever possible
Old 28th May 2014, 11:28   #3212
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Got a mail from Garmin today. Map upgrade 2014.20 has been released and is available.
When it comes to routing, Garmin 2014.20 *still* doesn't match up to free garmin maps (http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/). Where Garmin 2014.20 scores is in point of interests (POI).

Last edited by msdivy : 28th May 2014 at 11:46.
Old 30th May 2014, 10:57   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
http://www.mapmyindia.com/mobile-apps

MMI has a new app NaviMaps available only for Andoid devices right now . Looks interesting
Has anyone tried installing this? I installed the South India maps (183 MB), however, there is no navigation after I "Search" a POI in Bangalore.

It is my understanding that the turn-by-turn voice prompt for navigation, 3D buildings, etc. are available only in the paid version worth $99, but what is the free version for?

I am unable to proceed further after installing the maps!

The message I get after touching "Drive" once a POI is selected is -

"Pro Guidance is disabled for this country. Get Pro Guidance to enable turn-buy-turn voice instructions, speed alerts, lane assistance and more..."

The only information I can see in the free version is -

Distance between your Starting Point and POI
Duration
In Traffic Duration

Last edited by Safety is Param : 30th May 2014 at 11:05.
Old 31st August 2014, 12:27   #3214

Getting in touch for a query

Sir
Can I get in touch with you regarding Garmin/ Map My India maps and PND's. I have just purchased a new Honda City and would lke to go in for a GPS PND.
Regards
Mudit
Old 31st August 2014, 15:23   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Has anyone tried installing this? I installed the South India maps (183 MB), however, there is no navigation after I "Search" a POI in Bangalore.
It is my understanding that the turn-by-turn voice prompt for navigation, 3D buildings, etc. are available only in the paid version worth $99, but what is the free version for?
The message I get after touching "Drive" once a POI is selected is -
"Pro Guidance is disabled for this country. Get Pro Guidance to enable turn-buy-turn voice instructions, speed alerts, lane assistance and more..
Are you talking about Navimaps for iPhone? If it is iPhone you are talking about, I have it installed and working good. India Pro guidance is an in app purchase for Rs.620. Once you have the pro guidance for India, you will get the navigation option for searched POIs.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 1st September 2014 at 19:26. Reason: fixing quote
Old 1st September 2014, 09:20   #3216
BHPian

I too downloaded it on my android.
They give the navigation free for only three days.

My three days are over and I plan to make a purchase of it for around Rs.600.
I already own Sygic and this map appears to have more details and also looks better.

At just 600 bucks it is worth having as an alternative.

Though they claim lifetime licence, I have a doubt that they will charge for fresh map updates regularly.
The application itself is simpler for now but I hope they may release improved versions in the future.

(I have downloaded only the South India maps)

Last edited by manim : 1st September 2014 at 09:24.
Old 1st September 2014, 10:22   #3217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I too downloaded it on my android.
They give the navigation free for only three days.

My three days are over and I plan to make a purchase of it for around Rs.600.
I already own Sygic and this map appears to have more details and also looks better.
How easy is the address setting ?
Do you have to enter exact street address or is it as versatile as google maps ?
eg: Google maps you can search for stuff like "Apollo Hospital Bannerghatta" and it will automatically pull options to select from..
Old 1st September 2014, 11:02   #3218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
How easy is the address setting ?
Do you have to enter exact street address or is it as versatile as google maps ?
eg: Google maps you can search for stuff like "Apollo Hospital Bannerghatta" and it will automatically pull options to select from..
It searches the whole of a state for the name you input. I cannot narrow it down to city/nearby-POI's like Sygic. Maybe they will release an improved version soon. (I don't think anything can beat google in search algorithms).

The maps are great but the app needs improvement.

The search features are available in the free version (Navigation is to be paid for). You can try it out (The South India maps was 181 MB).

Had only one day drive to test it, so could not test it comprehensively.
But I found it interesting enough to buy for Rs.600, since I have a big drive coming up next weekend.
Old 1st September 2014, 15:19   #3219
BHPian

I have installed the pro version of Navimaps on my android mobile. Used it in a trip to Mysore and back. The maps, the navigation guidance and the fact that it doesn't require any network to do this is very good. Though I agree that working with google maps is far more easier.
Old 14th September 2014, 17:06   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Garmin Nuvi 205w and GPX file

Hi,

I have a Garmin Nuvi 205w. I charted a route on Google Maps and converted the generated KML into GPX format. However, I am unable to get my Garmin Nuvi 205w to recognize the track. It is able to recognize the waypoints though. Is this a limitation with my device? Is there any way I can make it recognize the track as well?

Thanks in advavnce...
Old 14th September 2014, 17:22   #3221
Team-BHP Support

Re: Garmin Nuvi 205w and GPX file

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I have a Garmin Nuvi 205w. I charted a route on Google Maps and converted the generated KML into GPX format. However, I am unable to get my Garmin Nuvi 205w to recognize the track. It is able to recognize the waypoints though. Is this a limitation with my device? Is there any way I can make it recognize the track as well?
Tracks and Routes cannot be loaded into Garmin. Best you can do is check the correct sequence of co-ordinates and feed them in.

205W does not support routes or tracks. Only way as I said earlier is to mark way points and add them as sequence. (Thats what I had been doing for 4+ years on my 205W).
Now I shifted to a 24XX series which supports routes.
Old 19th September 2014, 10:44   #3222
BHPian

Use GMAPtoGPX Java Applet. works on Firefox and Chrome.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

It will generate a file, cut and paste it onto a normal wordpad. Save it as .gpx file and then close the word pad.

Open the same in Mapsource, save it as gpx once more or as gdb file, and then sent it to GPS, it will be loaded to your GPS as a track.

If Nuvi wont accept it as Track, then convert the track you saved as GDB file to a route using WinGDB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advavnce...
Old 19th September 2014, 10:47   #3223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
If Nuvi wont accept it as Track, then convert the track you saved as GDB file to a route using WinGDB.
He has 205W. It wont accept routes. He has to create a sequence of way points and manually go point by point for the ordered sequence.

@cool_dube As @vu2pmc mentioned,

- You can load the GPX into Mapsource (Windows) or Basecamp (Mac)
- then create way points along the track.
- Load these waypoints into 205W by connecting it to the PC.
- Then follow them in an ordered sequence.

Last edited by ampere : 19th September 2014 at 10:50.
Old 21st September 2014, 09:58   #3224
BHPian

Dear All

Need some suggestions regarding Sat Nav options in India for my upcoming visit to India , I have been using Tom Tom Start 20 for the past couple of years in U.K and have used them in Western Europe with some incredible accuracy , I'm doing a road trip within India during November and was looking at relevant options , Tom Tom is offering India Maps with 1 yr free update fro £39.99 which is approximately Rs 3999 , out here it is much better than Garmin and Navman , tried to look for tom tom reviews in India without much success , so seeking your opinions as to which way to go with this .

TIA
Vin
Old 21st September 2014, 10:46   #3225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post
TIA
Vin
Best option would be to get a Garmin hardware and Map My India maps. Thats the best possible combination available at the moment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks