Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2015, 23:10   #3346
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Totally understand your point of view. In fact thats how even I started. Just look at it this way. .....................They now only support Basecamp across PC and Mac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneMad View Post
Ironhide, the osm.org site is primarily for the map data, everything else is addons.........................OSM is still not end user ready yet, since every tool and application is fragmented, unlike Google which is one big integrated engine. We'll get there for sure very soon, based on how fast all these tools have been developing.
Thanks guys , for putting it across simply. Though I do hope OSM gets everything integrated,like Google, and it remains free, non-profit and community driven.

Cheers !
Old 20th May 2015, 20:23   #3347
BHPian

I need help here. I bought Garmin Nuvi 52LM in 2014 with lifetime free map updates. Now 2015 map update is out, I have tried every method - only IE, communicator plug in, Garmin Express... I just keep going in circle without anywhere close to getting the update. Anyone who can share the successful process in detail, PLEASE.Thanks.
Old 20th May 2015, 20:31   #3348
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
I need help here. I bought Garmin Nuvi 52LM in 2014 with lifetime free map updates. Now 2015 map update is out, I have tried every method - only IE, communicator plug in, Garmin Express... I just keep going in circle without anywhere close to getting the update. Anyone who can share the successful process in detail, PLEASE.Thanks.
Did you buy the device in India or in US? If in US, I think India map updates wont be allowed? Is that the root cause of the problem?
Old 20th May 2015, 20:33   #3349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IE, communicator plugin is for auto detection. Alternatively, you can login to garmin site and download the latest map (its close to 2GB). Now when you connect your device, it shows up as USB drive in Windows Explorer. You can delete or backup existing map & copy the new map.
PS: In my nuvi 2300, the map is in <drive>\.System\gmapprom.img
Old 21st May 2015, 13:50   #3350
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Did you buy the device in India or in US? If in US, I think India map updates wont be allowed? Is that the root cause of the problem?
First check on ampere's point. Is it an India specific unit or not. Otherwise the steps are (I am talking on Chrome). Go to garmin.co.in and register (you may be asked to plug in your unit on USB before or after, I do not recall). The unit should not be in Garmin mode. Now go to garmin.co.in. With the unit plugged in you will get the serial no. etc. You may have to get and install communicator for this. Hereafter update proceeds smoothly. It may want to update the firmware - allow it to. Then when you go to map update, it will show a license no, which is not really required. What it does is i do not know, Then download the update, and run the exe file in admin mode. It will then proceed to update the map. In my 2465LM I must have a 2GB plus uSD present (Gramin supports up to 8GB uSD). The map install on that as the original unit does not have enough ROM/PROM. I remember earlier it wanted me to remove any uSD cards. Instructions are pretty explicit.

Maybe ampere or some others will like to add their corrections / comments.
Old 21st May 2015, 14:54   #3351
BHPian

Quote:

I bought it on line from Snap Deal and registered it promptly. Sad part is Garmin Bangalore dealer says they are only sellers and asked me to check You tube and their Taiwan marketing office asks me to contact Delhi CP dealer :(
Taiwan office's long email written in extremely poor English is of no help whatsoever. I am stuck with this unusable piece of hardware making me think MMI is an angel

Regards
Old 21st May 2015, 14:58   #3352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
IE, communicator plugin is for auto detection. Alternatively, you can login to garmin site and download the latest map (its close to 2GB). Now when you connect your device, it shows up as USB drive in Windows Explorer. You can delete or backup existing map & copy the new map.
PS: In my nuvi 2300, the map is in <drive>\.System\gmapprom.img

Thanks! Where exactly can I find the map in Garmin website? Can you please share the URL?

Cheers
Old 21st May 2015, 15:03   #3353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
First check on ampere's point. Is it an India specific unit or not. Otherwise the steps are (I am talking on Chrome). Go to garmin.co.in and register (you may be asked to plug in your unit on USB before or after, I do not recall). The unit should not be in Garmin mode. Now go to garmin.co.in. With the unit plugged in you will get the serial no. etc. You may have to get and install communicator for this. Hereafter update proceeds smoothly. It may want to update the firmware - allow it to. Then when you go to map update, it will show a license no, which is not really required. What it does is i do not know, Then download the update, and run the exe file in admin mode. It will then proceed to update the map. In my 2465LM I must have a 2GB plus uSD present (Gramin supports up to 8GB uSD). The map install on that as the original unit does not have enough ROM/PROM. I remember earlier it wanted me to remove any uSD cards. Instructions are pretty explicit.

Maybe ampere or some others will like to add their corrections / comments.

Thanks!

Now Garmin has discarded Chrome and works with IE and possibly Ff. No my Garmin Express detects my Nuvi 52 LM but update is just for the Device software 2.30. My guess is their software and the process for updating etc is very rudimentary. Their focus is more on map and navigation related stuff which is understandable. But having this kind of sloppy support in this country is very sad.

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:19   #3354
BANNED

Quote:
Now Garmin has discarded Chrome and works with IE and possibly Ff. No my Garmin Express detects my Nuvi 52 LM but update is just for the Device software 2.30.
Garmin Express is more of a US specific tool. Were you able to connect to www.garmin.co.in and then did it find the unit, etc. I updated on Chrome only a couple of months ago. Has to be Chrome 32-bit and not 64-bit. FF has a problem in that it blocks Garmin Communicator. I am sure it can be made to work, but did not try.
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:11   #3355
BHPian

Quote:
Garmin Express is more of a US specific tool. Were you able to connect to www.garmin.co.in and then did it find the unit, etc. I updated on Chrome only a couple of months ago. Has to be Chrome 32-bit and not 64-bit. FF has a problem in that it blocks Garmin Communicator. I am sure it can be made to work, but did not try.

Thanks. I have the latest version of Chrome and Garmin has a huge explanation why Google does not allow it's plug in. Well, at one level Google map with its navigation features is a direct competitor to all GPS manufacturers. So one can understand Garmin sidelines Chrome. Yes, it is more US centric.

Cheers
Old 23rd May 2015, 06:29   #3356
BHPian

Thought I'd update here. After several hours, I was able to update the India 2015 map on my Nuvi 52LM. Yes till version 45 of Chrome one would be able to use Chrome and Garmin communicator plug in but one has to enable it after installing it by entering in address bar for he lags. Also one has to download latest Garmin USB driver for Windows. Yes, no other USB device should be connected to the PM while map update process is on. Unfortunately Garmin local support at least in Bangalore is NIL. Cheers
Old 26th May 2015, 00:20   #3357

Any Mapillary users around? Some of us in Bangalore just got a gift of 12 car mounts from them to give it away to those interested in trying it out. Details here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapillary/Car_mounts
Old 26th May 2015, 08:01   #3358
BANNED

Quote:
Thought I'd update here. After several hours, I was able to update the India 2015 map on my Nuvi 52LM. Yes till version 45 of Chrome one would be able to use Chrome and Garmin communicator plug in but one has to enable it after installing it by entering in address bar for he lags. Also one has to download latest Garmin USB driver for Windows. Yes, no other USB device should be connected to the PM while map update process is on. Unfortunately Garmin local support at least in Bangalore is NIL.
Garmin local support in NIL across the land. They rely on the distributor / importer.

Can you please detail the steps you had to go through to finally manage. I am glad you could manage the update.
Old 26th May 2015, 16:26   #3359
BHPian

Quote:
Garmin local support in NIL across the land. They rely on the distributor / importer.

Can you please detail the steps you had to go through to finally manage. I am glad you could manage the update.

First step is to prepare the PC and Chrome for connecting and recognizing the Garmin device. One must Google and download Garmin USB driver for Windows and install that. Next step is in Chrome, in address bar one must type chrome://flags and enter; then enable NPAP plug in. Once this is done, one must download Garmin Express if not installed already and install the same. Also Garmin communicator plug in has to be installed. Once these are done, the Windows PC is ready for connecting your Garmin device. Hopefully, the PC will recognize the device. Then go to My Garmin page and sign in. Yes, you must be a registered user. Then on signing in, you will see many tabs; choose my dashboard. Once you go there, IF your device has been recognized it will indicate if there is map upgrades are available. Just click on and it will lead to download. It is a 1GB file, download could take some time. Once downloaded double click keeping the device connected. Installation may take about 10 minutes. Yes, it may take a couple of attempts. Just make sure that you do not have any other USB device connected during this entire process. Also, if the PC does not recognize your device even after all the preparation do not hesitate to try in every USB port in your PC!

Yes, upgrading Garmin maps is not for the faint hearted. The whole experience was so miserable I wonder what happens to users who are not tech savvy.

I also found that even the latest upgrade has not improved e the maps, via points, POIS, navigational features, search.... Then I bought this because because of the spotty coverage on highways and interiors, the Google maps in my Android fail. After all satellite based GPS is supposed to be better than terrestrial cell phone coverage. Then, I had Garmin also saying no GPS cover when we were in the jungles near Kutta when we were forced to go off roads by elephants!

Hope this detail helps in you getting upgrade of map.

Cheers
Old 26th May 2015, 20:01   #3360
BANNED

Yes, it is more or less in line with what I do. Some variations - I do not have Garmin Express Installed.

Also, can you elaborate on - i.Garmin USB Driver, and ii. NPAP stuff.

Earlier it used to be worse - you had to go to and login on their Taiwan site for the maps, and the installer talked to you in Mandarin. What I find is that the same file can be used for multiple devices, just let ir proceed till it shows the license no, and then run the installer. My daughter-in-law also has a 2465LM hence this experience.

My view is that local knowledge sure beats the GPS. Same is true for MMI as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks