Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2015, 22:43   #3376
Team-BHP Support

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Amp - I have not used basecamp and hence, not sure about its usage. Would it not suffice if I have a GPX file for the route I want to take for my drive (irrespective of how I came up with it)?

I think it should work, if the waypoints defined are there in the GPX too. Need to check though. I have not tried that approach of converting KML to GPX. Since routes are transferred to the device via GPX, I presume, it should work.
Old 7th June 2015, 12:56   #3377
Senior - BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since routes are transferred to the device via GPX, I presume, it should work.
Precisely! All I need is that the device should be able to 'load' the GPX I give it and use the same to navigate for a particular drive. How I come up with the GPX is my headache
Old 14th June 2015, 09:19   #3378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Till a shot while back Sygic were MMI maps of the previous version. I am not too sure now. I hear they are now separate, but the internal dynamics may still be not really known.
I can confirm that Mapmyindia do not supply maps to Sygic anymore and currently Tomtom supplies maps for Sygic India
Old 14th June 2015, 16:32   #3379
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post
I can confirm that Mapmyindia do not supply maps to Sygic anymore and currently Tomtom supplies maps for Sygic India
I think I have confirmed that several times.

There is one big advantage: the previous MMI India maps were incompatible with the rest of the Sygic world. You could not have several countries under one installation. Now you can have the whole world, including India, on your device, if you have room for it. Limited of course, to Sygic coverage of "the world."
Old 15th June 2015, 15:06   #3380
Senior - BHPian

Just back after an approx. 400 kms drive from Shrivardhan.
The MapmyIndia GPS took me places and located the areas flawlessly, including the small rural bylanes.

5/5 rating in locations. Just wished MMI could have real time traffic updates ala Google Maps!!
Old 15th June 2015, 15:26   #3381
Senior - BHPian

FYI - Google maps app is a pain in Lucknow. It finds roads which don't exist at times, and cannot find the results that show up in a google web search!

Its a gem otherwise in Delhi and Chennai!
Old 15th June 2015, 16:28   #3382
BHPian

I changed my phone from Samsung S5 to Xiaomi Mi 4i. So I sent a mail to Navi Maps team to activate the app on my new phone. It is really unfortunate to see this response from Navi Maps team:

Quote:
Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thanks a lot for contacting MapmyIndia.

This is in regard to your mail received. Kindly note that we have already provided you 1 time free access of Navi maps which is handset specific and can be used in 1 handset only against this order number . In case you change your handset then you have to purchase fresh application for new handset. Hope you understand and co-operate with us.

Feel free to contact for any further clarification.

Thanks & Regards,
Nishant Sharma
MapmyIndia Support Team
Phone No:- 01146009999 Ext. 227
You have arrived at your destination!
So Navi Maps expect us to use one phone for years together? This is really pathetic. I'm someone who changes gadgets very frequently. A response like this came as a shocker
Old 15th June 2015, 21:04   #3383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
FYI - Google maps app is a pain in Lucknow. It finds roads which don't exist at times, and cannot find the results that show up in a google web search!

Its a gem otherwise in Delhi and Chennai!
It shows that the metros have more volunteers to update the Google Maps compared to Lucknow. Also the availability live traffic info helps to get better routing in the metros.

It will take few more years for the Google maps to get matured in non-metro areas.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:25   #3384
BANNED

I find that Garmin maps (2015.10) have become very decent. One thing, is if you do not obey it, it recomputes faster, and for the first time I saw it trying to use NH2 in place of the NH91 from Kanpur!

This time in my trip to Gurgaon I found only two glitches - it wanted to take the bypass in Ferozabad (that is the official route however). Returning in Gurgaon from Sector 1C to 54 it took a longer (by 5km route). Of course wanting to go through the small houses inside Park Drive persists.
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:01   #3385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I find that Garmin maps (2015.10) have become very decent. One thing, is if you do not obey it, it recomputes faster, and for the first time I saw it trying to use NH2 in place of the NH91 from Kanpur!

This time in my trip to Gurgaon I found only two glitches - it wanted to take the bypass in Ferozabad (that is the official route however). Returning in Gurgaon from Sector 1C to 54 it took a longer (by 5km route). Of course wanting to go through the small houses inside Park Drive persists.
Hello Prof,

May I pick your brain.

In one of the popular threads a team member has narrated his epic trip of Mt Kailash. Excellent thread it is.

However, the thread interested me immensely also due to the excellent photos and Google Earth (GE) images.

In GE, many times, he has marked the walking route between two way-points. You can see it here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2011-a-4.html

How is it possible to do that in GE?

Or has he used a GPS set?

My apologies. I am totally at sea.
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:27   #3386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
E) images.

In GE, many times, he has marked the walking route between two way-points. You can see it here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2011-a-4.html

How is it possible to do that in GE?

Or has he used a GPS set?
Tracks stored in kml files can be opened in GE in overlay mode to get output shown like that in the travelogue. There are many apps like "my tracks" available on android platform can be used to save the route/tracks in kml format.
In post #60, the author also says that, he used a phone gps to capture the route.
Old 24th June 2015, 09:23   #3387
J.Ravi

MapMyIndia have coolly removed 3.5" PND Lx130 from the list for any future map updates. I bought this China-made device on 9 Dec 2009 for ₹ 11,990 having version 5.0 maps, which has guided me to drive/ride to 28 states/UT of India! After many map upgrades, my Lx130 has got the latest version 9.1 maps now under the last of 4 upgrades/2 year plan, but without any scope for future updates, sadly. The workhorse, Lx130, is still fit as a fiddle!

The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-lx130.jpg

http://www.mapmyindia.com/navigator/maps/map-update

Old 24th June 2015, 16:26   #3388
BANNED

It seems that Garmin maps version 2015.20 have been released. Problem of downloading and installation seems to have got worse. Seems the system software also have to be updated and the file is a whopping 93.5MB. Has anyone succeeded in downloading and installing both the system and the update. If so guidance please.
Old 24th June 2015, 17:07   #3389
BANNED

I did manage to download and install the system software. It seems it again goes to the .tw server to /locale=in? and now is not finding any new map!! Maybe in a day or two. All this under chrome!
Old 25th June 2015, 12:04   #3390
Senior - BHPian

I installed Maps.me a couple of days back. It is supposed to be offline and supports navigation as well. I haven't tested the navigation yet but the bangalore map seems pretty detailed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks